There are 196 users in the forums

Kalen49ers 1st 2020 Mock Offseason

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Hey all! Thanks for coming to check out my mock, curious to see what you guys will think of this. Seems there a lot of the draft prospects I like that are already Webzone crushes for many of you. Apologies if this Mock comes across as similar to any other ones posted here. Just going with what I think is realistic, what I think will happen and obviously what I would like us to do. Here goes....

Pre-Draft Trades
  • San Francisco 49ers trade 2021 2nd round pick (#43 overall) and 2022 1st round pick to the Detroit Lions for QB Matthew Stafford.
  • San Francisco 49ers trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo to the Indianapolis Colts for their 2021 3rd round pick (#85 overall). With the Stafford acquisition, we deal Jimmy and between the Stafford and Jimmy trades we save about $5 million in cap this year.

Notable Cuts
  • EDGE Dee Ford
  • C Weston Richburg

Players Re-Signed
  • QB CJ Beathard - 1 year deal
  • FB Kyle Juszczyk - 3 year deal
  • WR Kendrick Bourne - 1 year deal
  • LT Trent Williams - 5 year deal
  • OL Daniel Brunskill - 2 year deal
  • OL Ben Garland - 1 year deal
  • EDGE Kerry Hyder - 2 year deal
  • EDGE Jordan Willis - 1 year deal
  • LB Fred Warner - 5 year EXTENSION
  • CB Jason Verrett - 2 year deal
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley - 2 year deal
  • NB Jamar Taylor - 1 year deal

Free Agents - (Same as krizay )
  • C Alex Mack - 2 year deal - Comes back to play for Shanahan and comes back to the Bay Area where he went to school (Cal)
  • S Keanu Neal - 2 year deal - Played Safety in a similar style defense. Has had injury issues, so we front load the deal so we can get out of year 2 if needed. Still young at 26 and could be a steal if he stays healthy (similar to a Jason Verrett type signing)

Draft Day Trade
  • San Francisco 49ers trade 2021 1st round pick (#12 overall) to the New York Jets for their 2021 1st round pick (#23 overall via Seattle) and their 2022 1st round pick (via Seattle). After the Stafford trade, we now regain a 2022 1st round pick and are still in line to pick a good prospect at #23 overall. The Jets move up to get an EDGE rusher in Kwity Paye. Saleh gets a QB at #2 overall, then moves up to get an elite EDGE rusher to pair with Quinnen Williams on the D-Line to build his defense around. I also project the Jets to throw money to get Kwaun Williams, Jaquiski Tartt and maybe Richard Sherman.

Draft - (I used The Draft Network's Big Board for reference)
  • Round 1 (#23 overall via Jets) - EDGE Azeez Ojulari Georgia - Speed EDGE rusher we desperately need. Replaces Dee Ford.
  • Round 3 (#85 overall via Colts) - NB Shaun Wade Ohio State - Excels playing the slot. Replaces K'Waun.
  • Round 3 comp. - CB Israel Mukuamu South Carolina - Depth at CB behind Verrett and Moseley.
  • Round 4 - C Drake Jackson Kentucky - Learn behind Mack for a couple years and step into the role then.
  • Round 5 - LB Tony Fields II West Virginia - Strike gold at LB in the 5th like we did with Greenlaw?
  • Round 5 (via Saints) - WR Jaelon Dardon North Texas - What Trent Taylor was supposed to be but way faster and much more shifty.
  • Round 5 comp. - TE Tre McKitty Georgia - Strike gold at TE in the 5th like we did with Kittle? Kittle - McKitty.... coincidence? I think not.
  • Round 6 - DL Carlo Kemp Michigan - A penetrating DT to replace DJ Jones. Depth behind Armstead, Kinlaw and Givens.
  • Round 7 (via Jets) - OT Cole Van Lanen Wisconsin - Compete with McKivitz and Skule for 53 man roster.
  • Round 7 - WR Trevon Grimes Florida - Obligatory 6'3+ WR we should draft.

Also Thread #666 in the Mock Draft Forum
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 28, 2021 at 11:23 PM ]
Great job, like the Neal pick up but dislike the Bourne resigning unless it's cheap, I think we know what we get from him, and trades are great besides the jets trade, to move down 11 spots I want more then their 1st, also I'd try to resign DJ, if not bring Solly back cheap, as for the draft I like your picks, but rather go OL or CB in the 1st, Slater or a top CB that falls, if we get Stafford I want to keep him upright, solidly the OL, and maybe go WR earlier, I think we desperately need a 3, maybe sign a vet but everything you did makes sense. Thanks.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Great job, like the Neal pick up but dislike the Bourne resigning unless it's cheap, I think we know what we get from him, and trades are great besides the jets trade, to move down 11 spots I want more then their 1st, also I'd try to resign DJ, if not bring Solly back cheap, as for the draft I like your picks, but rather go OL or CB in the 1st, Slater or a top CB that falls, if we get Stafford I want to keep him upright, solidly the OL, and maybe go WR earlier, I think we desperately need a 3, maybe sign a vet but everything you did makes sense. Thanks.

The Bourne signing would be very much on the cheaper side. Remember Bourne is easily our most experienced WR and despite some bad drops he has proven to be somewhat of a target on 3rd down and red zone. Ideally he is WR3 at best on the roster.

I could understand going CB like Jaycee Horn in the 1st round but ideally I'm looking at Verrett and Moseley starting on the outside, so it would likely be Horn riding the bench in 2021/2022 unless there is an injury.

I think the Jets could throw money at DJ Jones to play beside Quinnen Williams. I like DJ but has been injured a lot and wouldn't want to give him too much money. I think the Jets or another team price us out of bringing him back.

I appreciate your feedback
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 27, 2021 at 11:58 PM ]
The offensive line is still not fixed by only signing Mack. No matter who the qb is, the Niners need to get some top end oline players--mack is a good start, but some of those 5th round picks need to be olinemen.
Overall, a solid offseason. Like the QB trades plus the trade down in the draft to recoup a 1st rounder next year. Don't like re-signing Beathard and Bourne, but it could happen.

Agree with other posters about upgrading the offensive line. Jackson is a center only prospect and I would much rather see the Niners pick someone who could play other positions on the line instead like Hainsey from Norte Dame or A. Jackson from Iowa. Only other pick I don't like is the Wade pick. He was scorched in the CFP in both games. Decent value on the surface at a 3rd round pick, but I would look elsewhere IMO.
Would like a true veteran WR pickup on top of this. Someone like TY Hitlon. But overall, I like it!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Overall, a solid offseason. Like the QB trades plus the trade down in the draft to recoup a 1st rounder next year. Don't like re-signing Beathard and Bourne, but it could happen.

Agree with other posters about upgrading the offensive line. Jackson is a center only prospect and I would much rather see the Niners pick someone who could play other positions on the line instead like Hainsey from Norte Dame or A. Jackson from Iowa. Only other pick I don't like is the Wade pick. He was scorched in the CFP in both games. Decent value on the surface at a 3rd round pick, but I would look elsewhere IMO.

I understand not liking Wade after the CFP games, however in both those games he was playing on the outside which he should never do. In the slot he is a beast and excels in blitzing too. I see Wade as taking over for KWaun.

As for Beathard and Bourne why not bring them back on cheap 1 year deals? Neither would be expected to contribute much, especially Beathard, but both guys know the offense inside out and can step in if needed.

I do understand wanting to do more on the o-line, my rationale is that we all know how vital a good Center is for Shanahan. I believe us being down to our 4th (or 5th?) string Center last season is what really screwed us.

A starting line of:
Williams Tomlinson Mack Brunskill McGlinchey is pretty darn solid.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Would like a true veteran WR pickup on top of this. Someone like TY Hitlon. But overall, I like it!

Thanks Justin! I too would like a good veteran receiver like TY, just don't think we will have the cap space after giving out big contracts to Williams and others
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Nailed the offseason. The only small nits would be lack of a speed threat at WR (now w. Stafford under center), carryover at RG, and lack of an upgrade at backup QB (I think we opt for Rosen over Beathard, and find a mid/late-round pick or FA to compete).

The big nit with would Neal. I don't know if Lynch would feel comfortable resigning Verrett and signing Neal in FA. That's a lot of money for two injury prone players in a reduced cap season. I rather let Moore prove himself, get a vet to compete, and save that cap to address one of the smaller nits I listed.

Otherwise...nailed it.
Wade really going to be available in 3rd? That seems like a steal.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
Wade really going to be available in 3rd? That seems like a steal.

I think his limitations to being strictly a slot CB limits his value. I could see him going earlier but we are still early in the draft process. Will see how it plays out
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Nailed the offseason. The only small nits would be lack of a speed threat at WR (now w. Stafford under center), carryover at RG, and lack of an upgrade at backup QB (I think we opt for Rosen over Beathard, and find a mid/late-round pick or FA to compete).

The big nit with would Neal. I don't know if Lynch would feel comfortable resigning Verrett and signing Neal in FA. That's a lot of money for two injury prone players in a reduced cap season. I rather let Moore prove himself, get a vet to compete, and save that cap to address one of the smaller nits I listed.

Otherwise...nailed it.

Thanks GEEK. Always a fan of the work you put in to your mocks.

You make some very good points. I would project Brunskill starting at RG and with much improved Center play that would benefit Brunskill massively. Still an area where we can upgrade for sure.

I agree with you on the speed WR. Any one that you have in mind in the draft or FA? Also agree with you on it being risky to give both Verrett and Neal contracts but the potential rewards are big.

I would project Rosen to be the QB #2 or #3 battling with Beathard for that spot.

Thanks for the feedback. Gives me some things to think about for the next Mock I do.
The Jets better throw in their 2nd with that trade too.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
The Jets better throw in their 2nd with that trade too.

Never gonna happen. When the Chiefs traded up to draft Mahomes in 2017 they went from 27 up to 10 and gave up a 1st, 3rd and next year 1st. Going from 23 up to 12, the 1st this year and next year is appropriate value.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
There goes my mock offseason
Share 49ersWebzone