LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

NYniner85 2020 mock 3.0 (maybe last)

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah that was my one wild card pick, they met with him so there's gotta be some interest. He's for sure not the most athletic guy but he most pretty well for 344lb OG.

Do we take a hit at run-blocking to upgrade pass-blocking because no one is moving that man lol.

I just feel like Shanny has a thing for RB's and G/C's. He knows he needs to improve on Garland and Person but he finds those positions on value Udfa kind of prospects. How many of the 32 NFL teams run the OLINE schemes we do? Shanny has yet to draft a G/C
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
I just feel like Shanny has a thing for RB's and G/C's. He knows he needs to improve on Garland and Person but he finds those positions on value Udfa kind of prospects. How many of the 32 NFL teams run the OLINE schemes we do? Shanny has yet to draft a G/C

I agree there's usually a certain type for kyle at OL/RB.

However Laken Tomlinson was in no way a scheme fit fit coming out of college. He was like 330Lbs and not athletic. He was a s**t brick house...here's his final write up on his draft profile.

"Tomlinson has treated defenders like a squat rep at times, but getting defenders centered and jacked will be tougher in the NFL. His lack of athleticism is a major concern and will cause problems winning initial engagements as defenders will get into him first. What Tomlinson lacks in second-level ability he makes up for in straight-ahead power and an ability to stalemate power players. His success in the NFL could be predicated on scheme and landing spot."

Onwenu could be that dude (not saying he will). SF met with him for a reason...it's not like they're spending a high pick on him. He's not my favorite guard prospect, but he could bring some competition at RG.

As far as our scheme. We run a zone-blocking scheme but actually ran a bunch of gap blocking as well. We don't run something that no one else doesn't use.

No they didn't draft a center they spent top 5 money on one
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 15, 2020 at 4:14 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Good mock, dude!
Nice mock

However Laken Tomlinson was in no way a scheme fit fit coming out of college. He was like 330Lbs and not athletic. He was a s**t brick house...here's his final write up on his draft profile.

"Tomlinson has treated defenders like a squat rep at times, but getting defenders centered and jacked will be tougher in the NFL. His lack of athleticism is a major concern and will cause problems winning initial engagements as defenders will get into him first. What Tomlinson lacks in second-level ability he makes up for in straight-ahead power and an ability to stalemate power players. His success in the NFL could be predicated on scheme and landing spot."

Onwenu could be that dude (not saying he will). SF met with him for a reason...it's not like they're spending a high pick on him. He's not my favorite guard prospect, but he could bring some competition at RG.

As far as our scheme. We run a zone-blocking scheme but actually ran a bunch of gap blocking as well. We don't run something they no one else doesn't use.

Fair enough but you prove my point with Tomlinson
Kyle saw what he was and traded for him ,didn't draft him. I'd be surprised if we draft a G/C
I like it alot!!
Fair enough but you prove my point with Tomlinson
Kyle saw what he was and traded for him ,didn't draft him. I'd be surprised if we draft a G/C

He used a 5th rd pick on him same as what I did. He also usually signs a "starter" in the off season didn't do that this yr. maybe it's brunskill but there is no reason at all not to spend a day 3 pick on a guard
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 15, 2020 at 4:22 AM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
Good mock, dude!

Originally posted by frankieuc68:
I like it alot!!

Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock

As far as our scheme. We run a zone-blocking scheme but actually ran a bunch of gap blocking as well. We don't run something that no one else doesn't use.

I think there's a misconception that we couldn't use a guard with size and power in this system. People forget that some of the best zone-blocking guards in the NFL have been bigger players. Kelechi Osemile for example.

What this system allows you to do is find later round prospects and have them fill in and be effective. But now that we are so close to winning a SB we need to do everything we can to improve an offensive line that's struggled to protect Jimmy from the inside out.

Onwenu and Damien Lewis are two guys who are big but also athletic that could fill in fine.

But it's irritating to me that people have this misconception just like they think we couldn't use a WR with size. Our WRs just need to be able to RAC and run good routes, having size doesn't make them not a fit it would just be a bonus.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I think there's a misconception that we couldn't use a guard with size and power in this system. People forget that some of the best zone-blocking guards in the NFL have been bigger players. Kelechi Osemile for example.

What this system allows you to do is find later round prospects and have them fill in and be effective. But now that we are so close to winning a SB we need to do everything we can to improve an offensive line that's struggled to protect Jimmy from the inside out.

Onwenu and Damien Lewis are two guys who are big but also athletic that could fill in fine.

But it's irritating to me that people have this misconception just like they think we couldn't use a WR with size. Our WRs just need to be able to RAC and run good routes, having size doesn't make them not a fit it would just be a bonus.

Lewis is who I want. I tried to stick with who we met with

Yeah the whole we don't like bigger WRs is dumb. We want guys that can separate which helps in creating space and getting YAC. If you're big and can do that it's a bonus.

Great draft overall, but don't think you got the offensive lineman right. No way Cleveland lasts till pick 82 when he getting some late first round consideration. Good player, but likely won't be there where you're projecting him. Substitute small school prospect Ben Bartch there and now we're talking. Onwenu isn't a fit for the scheme at all. Guys like Kyle Murphy or Cordel Iwaugwu should be available in the 5th/6th round as better fits. Everyone else is money. Nice work!
Good job. You put a lot of effort in the details using the big board and value chart. There's a lot of good posters on here offering draft content. They sometimes get stuck on who they want. You do a good job looking at fits and people we have paid attention to. There are many you have posted on that scream 49er picks. You didn't have many of them in your last mock but have a bunch here.
If we go wr 13, I think it will be Lamb. I think we might trade down both picks though. It seems like we want to come out of the top picks with a wr, ot, and dt.
I'd love clev too but he should go much higher. I didn't like Onwenu either as a fit. Love the Madubuike and Keene picks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Great draft overall, but don't think you got the offensive lineman right. No way Cleveland lasts till pick 82 when he getting some late first round consideration. Good player, but likely won't be there where you're projecting him. Substitute small school prospect Ben Bartch there and now we're talking. Onwenu isn't a fit for the scheme at all. Guys like Kyle Murphy or Cordel Iwaugwu should be available in the 5th/6th round as better fits. Everyone else is money. Nice work!

Thanks for the comments

Like I said, I used The Draft Network big board. They actually have Cleveland ranked outside of top 100. Be mad at them lol....His combine is what drove up his stock, not his film overall. He's a massive reach if taken bottom of 1st top of 2nd imo.

SF met with Onwenu, so I'm assuming they they he can play on this team. His zone blocking grades were actually higher than his gap blocking grades. Tomlinson wasn't close to a scheme fit coming out of duke either (go look at his draft profile). If they can get him down in the 330s he could be a steal.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
Good job. You put a lot of effort in the details using the big board and value chart. There's a lot of good posters on here offering draft content. They sometimes get stuck on who they want. You do a good job looking at fits and people we have paid attention to. There are many you have posted on that scream 49er picks. You didn't have many of them in your last mock but have a bunch here.
If we go wr 13, I think it will be Lamb. I think we might trade down both picks though. It seems like we want to come out of the top picks with a wr, ot, and dt.
I'd love clev too but he should go much higher. I didn't like Onwenu either as a fit. Love the Madubuike and Keene picks.

thanks dude. I just used TDN's big board and all the guys we've spoken too. There's a common theme between prospects we've spoke to and them becoming a Niner.
Share 49ersWebzone