LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Quarantine Draft

Long time reader, long time fan, first time post.

What follows is my analysis of what the 49ers' draft board should look like (in my opinion), a discussion of draft strategy, and a mock draft. First, the big board for pick #13:

Note: This draft has a great top 2-3 Offensive Lineman, another few defensive players, the top three wideouts, and then great WR depth from pick 20 to 50. I have removed quarterbacks as we will not be choosing one.

The Highly Unlikely to Fall to Us:
1. Chase Young DE OSU
2. Jeff Okudah CB OSU
3. Isaiah Simmons LB CLEM

Now, as there are probably going to be 3 QBs taken in the top 10, what follows is a list of the players that have a chance whether small or great to fall to us at 13. This is the order I would put them in.

4. Tristan Wirfs OL Iowa - I love Wirfs. He could slide in for a season (maybe more) at Guard and then push out and be the LT for us for the next 12 years. He would strengthen a very good running game, be a great lineman against Donald etc, and strengthen a weakness (interior OL) while providing a future plan at OT which Shanahan prizes.
5. Jedrick Wills OL ALA - Similar to Wirfs, but not as athletic. Size is similar to what Shanahan likes of Guards, has great athleticism, fantastic run lineman, proven himself against the best competition, and (like Wirfs) could be the new Staley in a year or two while strengthening a weakness.
6. Jerry Jeudy WR ALA - I keep reading reviews that highlight his route running and ability to get open ("best I've seen in the last ten years"). I remember watching him last year thinking how dynamic he would be for us. I think Shanahan is most targeting Jeudy. Though, I think the Jets or Raiders could easily take him.
7. CeeDee Lamb WR OK - Athletic, savvy, good hands, play maker, and (like Jeudy) better than the rest of a really good WR class.
8. Derrick Brown DL AUB - Brown is big and powerful and was always doubled when in college. If he were picked, it would destroy any chance of an opposing OL doubling all of our playmakers: double Bosa and Ford, Armstead, and Brown get home along with several others. Though we are deep here, this pick would fit with the Lynch/ KS philosophy of investing in your DL.

If one of the following 8 falls to us at #13, we take them in that order. If none are available, we trade back picking up draft capital. A few thoughts on notable names not in the top 8.

Henry Ruggs WR: good player who does not fit our quarterback very well - Garoppalo struggles on deep throws; some of Ruggs' talents would be wasted with the Niners.
Mehki Becton OL: Too big and raw, a development player and a risk at 13.
Javon Kinlaw DL: Raw and in a position of strength; reminds me of Armstead (but less refined) and we already have an Armstead.
Andrew Thomas OL: Does not fit our system where Shanahan likes athletic (though he is capable) smaller OLs.

So, what do I think will happen?
1) Bengals: Joe Burrow QB
2) Redskins: Chase Young DE
3) Miami (trade): Tua QB
4) New York Giants: Wirfs OL
5) Detroit (trade): Isaiah Simmons LB
6) Chargers: J Herbert QB
7) Carolina: J Okudah CB
8) Arizona: Jedrick Wills OL
9) Jaguars: Derrick Brown DL
10) Cleveland: Mehki Becton OL
11) Jets: CeeDee Lamb WR
12) Raiders: Jerry Jeudy WR
13) 49ers: since the 49ers top 8 possibilities are off the board: Trade Down! 49ers give 13 and 139 for Vikings' 22, 58, 89.

Thus, the 49ers Picks:
22. CJ Henderson CB FLA: drafting with next year in mind when (it seems) our entire group of CBs will be free agents. Long, athletic, shutdown corner. We could even pick this guy at 13.
31. Jalen Reagor WR TCU: playmaker, great route runner, tough, and would fit very well. I wonder if we would be reaching here, but I love this guy - he knows how to get open.
58. Cole Kmet TE ND: versatility at the TE spot: good in the receiving game, big enough to be a solid blocker. The NFC had better watch out when we line up two TEs with Kittle and Kmet - easy to force the D into a disadvantageous alignment/ match-up. Note: we'd be fortunate to pick him here.
89.* (trade a 6th to move up 10 picks or so) Jeremy Chinn S/ LB Southern Illinois: This guy reminds me of Isaiah Simmons in terms of having a multi-dimensional piece to put in the D: athletic, able to guard WRs and TEs while playing and tackling effectively in the run game.

Thanks for reading.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Welcome aboard. I love the thought process behind your post.

Would not be mad at this. Has my 2nd favorite CB (after Fulton) 1 of my 4 2nd tier WRs.

My only critique is Kmet. I have been wanting me legit 2nd TE but at 58 is too rich for me. Id personally prefer an OT to take over for Staley in a year or 2. A C/OG that can play C for thr long haul but at the very least offer backup ability at G for the present. Or a DT that could replace Defo and leave our rotations the same.

Outside of that, not bad at all. Nicely done
Welcome to the board. Agree with krizay that your logic is sound on the trade down from #13 and that 2nd round is too high for a TE.

The offensive line is a higher priority than a 2nd TE so I would think the NIners will fill that need in the 2nd.

Would not be unhappy taking Henderson or Reagor, only after a trade down. Love the Chinn pick in combo as a hedge against next year.

Nice first post. Keep them coming.
Originally posted by awdunham83:
Long time reader, long time fan, first time post.

What follows is my analysis of what the 49ers' draft board should look like (in my opinion), a discussion of draft strategy, and a mock draft. First, the big board for pick #13:

Note: This draft has a great top 2-3 Offensive Lineman, another few defensive players, the top three wideouts, and then great WR depth from pick 20 to 50. I have removed quarterbacks as we will not be choosing one.

The Highly Unlikely to Fall to Us:
1. Chase Young DE OSU
2. Jeff Okudah CB OSU
3. Isaiah Simmons LB CLEM

Now, as there are probably going to be 3 QBs taken in the top 10, what follows is a list of the players that have a chance whether small or great to fall to us at 13. This is the order I would put them in.

4. Tristan Wirfs OL Iowa - I love Wirfs. He could slide in for a season (maybe more) at Guard and then push out and be the LT for us for the next 12 years. He would strengthen a very good running game, be a great lineman against Donald etc, and strengthen a weakness (interior OL) while providing a future plan at OT which Shanahan prizes.
5. Jedrick Wills OL ALA - Similar to Wirfs, but not as athletic. Size is similar to what Shanahan likes of Guards, has great athleticism, fantastic run lineman, proven himself against the best competition, and (like Wirfs) could be the new Staley in a year or two while strengthening a weakness.
6. Jerry Jeudy WR ALA - I keep reading reviews that highlight his route running and ability to get open ("best I've seen in the last ten years"). I remember watching him last year thinking how dynamic he would be for us. I think Shanahan is most targeting Jeudy. Though, I think the Jets or Raiders could easily take him.
7. CeeDee Lamb WR OK - Athletic, savvy, good hands, play maker, and (like Jeudy) better than the rest of a really good WR class.
8. Derrick Brown DL AUB - Brown is big and powerful and was always doubled when in college. If he were picked, it would destroy any chance of an opposing OL doubling all of our playmakers: double Bosa and Ford, Armstead, and Brown get home along with several others. Though we are deep here, this pick would fit with the Lynch/ KS philosophy of investing in your DL.

If one of the following 8 falls to us at #13, we take them in that order. If none are available, we trade back picking up draft capital. A few thoughts on notable names not in the top 8.

Henry Ruggs WR: good player who does not fit our quarterback very well - Garoppalo struggles on deep throws; some of Ruggs' talents would be wasted with the Niners.
Mehki Becton OL: Too big and raw, a development player and a risk at 13.
Javon Kinlaw DL: Raw and in a position of strength; reminds me of Armstead (but less refined) and we already have an Armstead.
Andrew Thomas OL: Does not fit our system where Shanahan likes athletic (though he is capable) smaller OLs.

So, what do I think will happen?
1) Bengals: Joe Burrow QB
2) Redskins: Chase Young DE
3) Miami (trade): Tua QB
4) New York Giants: Wirfs OL
5) Detroit (trade): Isaiah Simmons LB
6) Chargers: J Herbert QB
7) Carolina: J Okudah CB
8) Arizona: Jedrick Wills OL
9) Jaguars: Derrick Brown DL
10) Cleveland: Mehki Becton OL
11) Jets: CeeDee Lamb WR
12) Raiders: Jerry Jeudy WR
13) 49ers: since the 49ers top 8 possibilities are off the board: Trade Down! 49ers give 13 and 139 for Vikings' 22, 58, 89.

Thus, the 49ers Picks:
22. CJ Henderson CB FLA: drafting with next year in mind when (it seems) our entire group of CBs will be free agents. Long, athletic, shutdown corner. We could even pick this guy at 13.
31. Jalen Reagor WR TCU: playmaker, great route runner, tough, and would fit very well. I wonder if we would be reaching here, but I love this guy - he knows how to get open.
58. Cole Kmet TE ND: versatility at the TE spot: good in the receiving game, big enough to be a solid blocker. The NFC had better watch out when we line up two TEs with Kittle and Kmet - easy to force the D into a disadvantageous alignment/ match-up. Note: we'd be fortunate to pick him here.
89.* (trade a 6th to move up 10 picks or so) Jeremy Chinn S/ LB Southern Illinois: This guy reminds me of Isaiah Simmons in terms of having a multi-dimensional piece to put in the D: athletic, able to guard WRs and TEs while playing and tackling effectively in the run game.

Thanks for reading.

I thinks Ruggs is Kyle's draft crush especially after scouting Tyreek Hill for 2 weeks for the superbowl
Share 49ersWebzone