LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Yay Area's Latest Mock Draft

The job Lynch, Peters, and Shanahan have done rebuilding this roster has been quite impressive. There are not a lot of holes on their 53 man roster but there are some areas that could use more depth, and some positions where the 49ers need to start looking at potential successors.

1(13) – Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama. His speed and athleticism will provide the deep threat ability that Goodwin provided when healthy and in the game mentally. Additionally, his ability to run after the catch turn short routes into home runs will take our offense to the next level.

1(31) - Traded with the Jets. 31 and 156 for 48 + 68 + 117

2(48) – Julian Okwara, DE/OLB, Notre Dame. He is a little undersized to play DE right now, as he played more OLB in college, but he is athletic and has a wide range of pass rush moves. In year one he will only be asked to be Dee Ford's apprentice and to provide insurance in the case that Dee Ford gets hurt again.

3 (68)– Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia. Maybe a little bit of a reach that he drops this far, but I think that the ankle injury combined with some concerns with which schemes he best fits in will cause him to drop. Hall is a long, intelligent ball-hawking corner that when you read his draft profiles seems like he could be Sherman's heir apparent.

4 (117) - Ben Bartch, OT, St. Johns. A converted tight end, who has developed into a 6'6'' 300 tackle. He is mobile, athletic, and is perfect for our zone blocking scheme. But he is a little raw, so comes in as Staley's apprentice, and should have a year or two to develop before taking over as the starter left tackle.

5 (156) – Traded to the Jets

5 (176) - Traded, along with Marquise Goodwin to the Carolina Panthers for Curtis Samuel.

6 (210)– Kyle Hinton, OG, Washburn. Played tackle in college, but projects to be a guard in the NFL, given his smaller frame. He measures in at 6'2'', 295 lbs. But he is one of the stronger, more agile guards in the draft. His tape reveals an aggressive, but very smart lineman.

7 (217) - L'Jarius Sneed, CB/S, Louisiana State. One of the fastest defensive backs at the combine. He has good size at 6'1'', 195 lbs. He split time between cornerback and safety during his college career. Similar profile to Tarvarius Moore, but Sneed profiles more as a man corner who likes to get jam and get physical with receivers off the line.

7 (245) – Charlie Taumaupenu, FB/TE, Portland State. 6'3'', 245 lbs. Best TE/H-Back in the FCS. Good route runner, sneaky speed. This coming year he can be Juszczyk's apprentice, and provide solid insurance in the case that Juszczyk gets hurt again. And in the future, I believe he could potentially turn into a player similar to Delanie Walker.

Potential UDFAs to target: James Morgan, QB, FIU. Mason Kinsey, WR, Berry. Josh Brown, OT, College of Idaho. Cam Gill, DE/OLB, Wagner. Josh Pearson, WR, Jacksonville State.
[ Edited by YayArea on Mar 28, 2020 at 10:23 PM ]
One of the best mocks I've seen👍 Only pick I would change is Okwara for a DT. Turning Goodwin into Samuel would be outstanding.
Thanks Bellaleo. While I normally am all about drafting lineman and building from the inside out, I believe that with Solomon Thomas, a healthy DJ Jones and a healthy Ronald Blair, and a handful of younger lineman like Jullian Taylor, Kevin Givens, and Kentavious Street, that we have potentially a lot of depth on the defensive line. Admittedly, those young players have limited playing time, and have really only flashed in the preseason. But overall, I think there is a lot of potential there, and I believe given the player development abilities of our coaching staff, at a least some of these players will step up.
[ Edited by YayArea on Mar 28, 2020 at 9:10 PM ]
Yeah very nice, only complaint is DT also but a trio of Deebo, Ruggs and Samuel would be deadly IMO, I think Samuel would do great in this scheme. Thanks
Sign me up.

Ruggs, Okwara and Hall are my favorite players for us assuming we address those positions in those areas. Bartch is also one of my guys if we don't nab OL earlier.

If we got those 4 I don't even care what happens afterwards.
I like it!
Originally posted by YayArea:
The job Lynch, Peters, and Shanahan have done rebuilding this roster has been quite impressive. There are not a lot of holes on their 53 man roster but there are some areas that could use more depth, and some positions where the 49ers need to start looking at potential successors.

1(13) – Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama. His speed and athleticism will provide the deep threat ability that Goodwin provided when healthy and in the game mentally. Additionally, his ability to run after the catch turn short routes into home runs will take our offense to the next level.

1(31) - Traded with the Jets. 31 and 156 for 48 + 68 + 117

2(48) – Julian Okwara, DE/OLB, Notre Dame. He is a little undersized to play DE right now, as he played more OLB in college, but he is athletic and has a wide range of pass rush moves. In year one he will only be asked to be Dee Ford's apprentice and to provide insurance in the case that Dee Ford gets hurt again.

3 (68)– Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia. Maybe a little bit of a reach that he drops this far, but I think that the ankle injury combined with some concerns with which schemes he best fits in will cause him to drop. Hall is a long, intelligent ball-hawking corner that when you read his draft profiles seems like he could be Sherman's heir apparent.

4 (117) - Ben Bartch, OT, St. Johns. A converted tight end, who has developed into a 6'6'' 300 tackle. He is mobile, athletic, and is perfect for our zone blocking scheme. But he is a little raw, so comes in as Staley's apprentice, and should have a year or two to develop before taking over as the starter left tackle.

5 (156) – Traded to the Jets

5 (176) - Traded, along with Marquise Goodwin to the Carolina Panthers for Curtis Samuel.

6 (210)– Kyle Hinton, OG, Washburn. Played tackle in college, but projects to be a guard in the NFL, given his smaller frame. He measures in at 6'2'', 295 lbs. But he is one of the stronger, more agile guards in the draft. His tape reveals an aggressive, but very smart lineman.

7 (217) - L'Jarius Sneed, CB/S, Louisiana State. One of the fastest defensive backs at the combine. He has good size at 6'1'', 195 lbs. He split time between cornerback and safety during his college career. Similar profile to Tarvarius Moore, but Sneed profiles more as a man corner who likes to get jam and get physical with receivers off the line.

7 (245) – Charlie Taumaupenu, FB/TE, Portland State. 6'3'', 245 lbs. Best TE/H-Back in the FCS. Good route runner, sneaky speed. This coming year he can be Juszczyk's apprentice, and provide solid insurance in the case that Juszczyk gets hurt again. And in the future, I believe he could potentially turn into a player similar to Delanie Walker.

Potential UDFAs to target: James Morgan, QB, FIU. Mason Kinsey, WR, Berry. Josh Brown, OT, College of Idaho. Cam Gill, DE/OLB, Wagner. Josh Pearson, WR, Jacksonville State.

Great job probably the best Mock I have seen. I would probably draft a center or a guard in the second round instead of the defensive end/linebacker. The guy from temple or LSU would fit nicely at that position. Other than that I love it
Solid mock all the way through. We apparently share the same views on certain players and the positions of need, especially on offense.

Nice trade for Curtis Samuel to in the middle rounds.

Curious why you would go for an edge rusher vs a defensive tackle in the second. Any reason? Nice work.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Solid mock all the way through. We apparently share the same views on certain players and the positions of need, especially on offense.

Curious why you would go for an edge rusher vs a defensive tackle in the second. Any reason? Nice work.

The main reason for going with an edge rusher over a defensive tackle is that I think it is a greater need. Our pass rush was not as potent after Dee Ford got hurt. So I feel that depth at the edge is a bigger priority than interior defensive line depth. Additionally, I believe that between Solomon Thomas, a healthy DJ Jones and a healthy Ronald Blair, and a handful of younger lineman like Jullian Taylor, Kevin Givens, and Kentavious Street, that we have potentially a lot of depth along the defensive line. It is just going to be a matter of these younger players stepping up.
I'd applaud if the draft went down this way.

The main reason for going with an edge rusher over a defensive tackle is that I think it is a greater need. Our pass rush was not as potent after Dee Ford got hurt. So I feel that depth at the edge is a bigger priority than interior defensive line depth. Additionally, I believe that between Solomon Thomas, a healthy DJ Jones and a healthy Ronald Blair, and a handful of younger lineman like Jullian Taylor, Kevin Givens, and Kentavious Street, that we have potentially a lot of depth along the defensive line. It is just going to be a matter of these younger players stepping up.
💯.
Very nice mock. 👍
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Solid reasoning. I hope that that Solly really steps up his game and the young guys (DJ and J Taylor) get healthy soon. It will definitely help to mitigate the loss of DeFo.
I hate to be the one, but where have you read that CAR is giving Samuel away?
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
I hate to be the one, but where have you read that CAR is giving Samuel away?

A quick google search will bring up a bunch of articles from various team sites and blogs discussing potential trades for Curtis Samuel. But I believe the original source was this tweet.

[ Edited by YayArea on Mar 30, 2020 at 8:46 AM ]
A quick google search will bring up a bunch of articles from various team sites and blogs discussing potential trades for Curtis Samuel. But I believe the original source was this tweet.

but that trade is awful for CAR. Available and giving him away are two different things.
Share 49ersWebzone