LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

Post FA Mock Draft

No self-made 3 round mock draft this time. Instead, I used PFN's mock draft machine. Not quite as refined as TDN's, but way more realistic than other alternatives, and with the ability to trade without a paywall.

1 CIN - Joe Burrow, QB
2 WAS - Chase Young, DE
3 DET - Jeff Okudah, CB
4 NYG - Tristan Wirfs, OT
5 MIA - Tua Tagovailoa, QB
6 LAC - Justin Herbert, QB
7 CAR - Isaiah Simmons, LB/S
8 ARI - Derrick Brown, DT
9 JAX - Javon Kinlaw, DT
10 CLE - Mehki Becton, OT
11 NYJ - Jedrick Wills, OT
12 LV - CeeDee Lamb, WR
13 *TRADE* DEN - Jerry Jeudy, WR
Broncos: Hey Lynch, buddy 'ol pal. You taking Jeudy or Ruggs?
49'ers: Jeudy, why?
Broncos: Is Jeudy and a 2021 6th worth more to you than Ruggs and a 2020 3rd?
49'ers: Say no more fam.
14 TB - Andrew Thomas, OT

R1P15 Henry Ruggs, WR Alabama
Shanny's offense relies a ton on keeping the opposing defense on their toes, using as much confusion as possible. Adding Ruggs to the mix is really going to have teams mentally exhausted and giving up by half time.

R1P31 Cesar Ruiz, IOL Michigan
Ideally, Ruiz is ready to step in at RG right away, Bruskill gets work in practice to continue developing as the LT of the future, and if not, eventually Ruiz moves to center and Brunskill steps in at guard. Ruiz is a very well rounded lineman; strong but not lacking in explosiveness, mobile but not lacking in anchor. His strength and athletic gifts allow him to succeed in pass and run protection. He was the #1 center recruit coming out of high school, and has plenty of experience under his belt.

R3P83 Bryce Hall, CB UVA
We were lucky to be able to make a small trade down in the first, still get our top two targets, and end up with an extra third that we can use on a potential long term replacement for Richard Sherman. I don't expect a rookie to start this year, barring any unforeseen injury, but our CB room is taking a huge hit next year with everyone hitting FA, and Sherman not likely to be back. The simulator actually had him ranked as like a late 4th round pick, but I didn't find that too realistic, and so I took him here.

R5P156 McTelvin Agim, DT Arkansas
Explosive 3T that can penetrate the line of scrimmage. Depth behind Julian Taylor who is having a lot of trust prematurely put on his shoulders given the departure of Buckner and Day.

R5P176 Benito Jones, DT Ole Miss
A DJ Jones clone to play backup to DJ Jones

R6P186 Trevis Gipson, EDGE Tulsa *TRADE*
I don't remember who I traded with (eagles?) but I moved up from our 6th with one of our 7th's. I don't remember if I threw in a 2021 7th as well. Trevis has a lot of upside as a situational pass rusher. He doesn't have much right now, but he does have what you can't teach - good length, explosiveness, and bend.

R7P245 Reid Harrison-Ducros, NCB Duquesne
I think he's more talented than where I have him slotted, but I don't see his name anywhere, and he plays from a tiny program. In fact, the mock machine didn't even have him in their database. This pick helps us try to stay ahead of next years secondary departures, as I also assume K'waun will be gone, and well paid elsewhere.

FA Acquisition: Carl Lawson, DE
He's not getting the opportunity he deserves in Cincinnati. I think he can have Shaq Barrett level impact, and will be the answer opposite of Bosa, as Ford likely gets traded for draft ammunition.

FA Acquisition: David Njoku, TE
I think the Browns will let Njoku test free agency.

R1: Shaun Wade, DB Ohio State
I'm projecting him as a day one starter at outside CB, but his versatility in the slot or at FS allow for flexibility in terms of total roster construction.

R2: Samuel Cosmi, OT Texas
If Brunskill doesn't work out, or if he is needed more at RG because Richburg can't go, then we need to pick Joe's replacement early. Cosmi has ideal size and athleticism to be the guy to do it.

R3: Hamsah Nasirildeen, S FSU
Replacement for Quaski. This is likely where extra draft ammunition from a Dee Ford trade helps us to move around and get our guy.

R4: Alaric Jackson, OG/OT Iowa
I don't claim to watch a ton of OL, nor be an expert at discerning what I'm watching, but Alaric Jackson was my #1 OT going into the 2019 CFB season. His limitations made themselves more evident (and man I wish Wirfs was a niner) but another year in college to develop should work nicely. At worst, he can back up all offensive line positions except for center. At best, he can be the long term successor to Laken Tomlinson at LG.

R5: Thomas Graham Jr., CB Oregon
Rounds out the young and promising CB room.

2021 Key Roster:
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Raheem Mostert, Jerrick McKinnon (I hope!), Kyle Juszczyk
OL: Samuel Cosmi, Laken Tomlinson, Weston Richburg, Cesar Ruiz, Mike McGlinchey, Daniel Brunskill, Alaric Jackson
WR: Henry Ruggs, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Kendrick Bourne, Trent Taylor, Richie James Jr
TE: George Kittle, David Njoku

DL: Carl Lawson, DJ Jones, Arik Armstead, Nick Bosa, Ronald Blair, Trevis Gipson, Julian Taylor, McTelvin Agim, Benito Jones, Kentavious Street
LB: Fred Warner, Kwon Alexander, Dre Greenlaw
CB: Shaun Wade, Emmanuel Moseley, Bryce Hall, Ahkello Witherspoon/Tim Harris, Thomas Graham Jr, Reid Harrison-Ducros
S: Jimmie Ward, Tarvarious Moore, Hamsah Nasirildeen
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 25, 2020 at 9:35 PM ]
I love you're draft. Nice work. Hope Ruiz lasts that long
Home run draft if they could pull that off

I will say I think Denver is about Ruggs more than Jeudy...they need a deep threat to go with Locks' big arm.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 26, 2020 at 6:25 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Home run draft if they could pull that off

I will say I think Denver is about Ruggs more than Jeudy...they need a deep threat to go with Locks' big arm.

I agree, but the Sim gave me hope!
I don't know if it's that realistic but I would LOVE that draft. Honestly those first 3 picks would be my PERFECT scenario.
Here's a thought for those who feel the offense needs a lot of help:

R1P13: Jerry Juedy or Henry Ruggs
R1P31: TRADE to Colts. Colts grab Eason in exchange for pick 44 and 75.
R2P44: TRADE to Raiders who grab Shenault in exchange for R3P80 and R3P81.
R3P75: Jonah Jackson, IOL
R3P80: Bryce Hall, CB
R3P81: TRADE to Browns with R6P210 in exchange for David Njoku, TE and R4P115
R4P115: Alex Highsmith, EDGE
R5P156: McTelvin Agim, IDL
R5P176: TRADE to Carolina in exchange for Curtis Samuel, WR
R7P217: Kevin Dotson, IOL
R7P245: Reid Harrison-Ducros, CB

Another alternative
R1P13: Tristan Wirfs or Andrew Thomas, OL
R1P31: TRADE to Colts for R2P44 and R3P75
R2P44: Jaylon Johnson, CB
R3P75: Bryan Edwards, WR
R5P156: McTelvin Agim, DT
R5P176: Trevis Gipson, EDGE
R6P210: TRADE to Carolina for Curtis Samuel, WR
R7P210: Reid Harrison-Ducros, NCB
R7P245: TE
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM ]
One last iteration for a more trade happy draft to get in most of my draft crushes. One of these 4 options would be my absolute dream draft. Draft was done on PFN and took a few tries for the board to fall as desired. Reid Harrison-Ducros is not in their database.

Trades:
R1P13 to DEN for R1P15 and R3P83
R1P31 to IND for R2P44 and R3P75
R2P44 to NYJ for R2P48 and R5P158
R3P75 and R5P158 to MIA for R3P70

R1P15: Henry Ruggs, WR
R2P48: Jeremy Chinn, S
Jeremy Chinn and Tarvarious Moore for the safeties of the future
R3P70: Bryan Edwards, WR
Reunites with Deebo. Between them two and Ruggs, we have every skill set to make up a well rounded corps, with Hurd and Bourne making reliable 3rd down and EZ options.
R3P83: Bryce Hall, CB
R5P176: Saahdiq Charles, OL
Two developmental guys on the roster now between Charles and Brunskill. Hopefully LT, or at the least swing tackle, is set. For now Brunskill at RG and Staley at LT.
R6P210: Trevis Gipson, EDGE
R7P217: Dalton Keene, TE
Traditional H-back
R7P245: Reid Harrison-Ducros, NCB
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 30, 2020 at 9:32 PM ]
I prefer draft #1 because the Niners get Ruiz. Interior offensive line is a big priority this draft since the Niners jettisoned Person. 2 good CB's 2 DT's and a good CB would go far to help this team long term. Would be very happy if it came out this way.
Delete
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 31, 2020 at 8:04 PM ]
I was able to tinker around more and come away with an even better haul.

R1P15: Henry Ruggs, WR
R3P70: Jeremy Chinn, S
R3P81: Bryan Edwards, WR
R3P83: Darrell Taylor, ER
R3P91: Bryce Hall, CB
R5P159: Saahdiq Charles, OT
R6P210: Dalton Keene, HB
R7P217: Reid Harrison-Ducros, NCB
2021 DEN 6th
2021 LV 7th

Lost: 2021 5th