LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Waterbear 1st mock 2020

Resign/extend:
Verrett, AA (tag), Toilolo, Moore, Kyle Juscyck (extend?), and all ERFAs.

Trade:
Soloman Thomas to the New England Patriots for a bucket of air (7th round pick #235 overall)

Let walk/cut:
Emmanuel Sanders, Jimmie Ward, Mike Person, Marquise Goodwin, Tevin Coleman, and Jerrick Mckinnon.

FA Signings:
Carl Nassib

2020 NFL Draft:
Based on Drafttek rankings*

49ers trade 1st round pick (#31 overall) to Chicago for 2nd round pick (#43 overall) and 2nd round pick (#50 overall)
49ers trade 2nd round pick (#50 overall) to NY Jets for 3rd round pick (#68 overall) and 3rd round pick (#79 overall)
49ers trade 3rd round pick (#79 overall) + 7th round pick (#235 overall) to Cleveland for 3rd round pick (#90 overall) and 4th round pick (#112 overall)

43. Brandon Aiyuk - WR -Arizona State

68. Antonio Gibson - RB/WR - Memphis

90. Damien Lewis- G - LSU

112.Matt Hennessey - C - Temple

156. Terrell Burgess - FS/CB - Utah

176. Josiah Deguara - TE/FB - Cincinnati
Don't see how we can keep Verrett and let Ward walk

I would also expect us to tag and trade AA

I like the IOL you got us in the draft, would prefer Pittman at WR
Don't agree with a bunch of your offseason moves. Keeping Verrett seems like a really bad move as he showed literally nothing this year that would make you want to re-sign him. Letting Ward, Sanders, and Coleman walk for nothing seems really bad since they were all significant contributors last year. Trading Thomas and Goodwin plus letting McKinnon walk are OK.

Like the draft prospects on the offensive line and at the skill positions. All good fits for Shanahan's system. Like the one free agent signing to bolster the pass rush in Nassib.

Decent mock overall.
Why are we cutting our starting RG? I like you adding Lewis and Hennessy but don't see the later being available where you have him.

I like Gibson but IMO that's a luxury pick.
Loved all the guys you went after not sure we can end up with that many picks...would be pumped end of the day
Love it
Originally posted by genus49:
Why are we cutting our starting RG? I like you adding Lewis and Hennessy but don't see the later being available where you have him.

Person needs to be upgraded. I have no problem letting him go
Originally posted by lamontb:

Person needs to be upgraded. I have no problem letting him go

I agree we need to upgrade at RG but cutting a capable starter isn't smart football. It's not like he's making huge money. We just saw a season where our OL depth was tested in a big way...why do we want to weaken our depth?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't agree with a bunch of your offseason moves. Keeping Verrett seems like a really bad move as he showed literally nothing this year that would make you want to re-sign him. Letting Ward, Sanders, and Coleman walk for nothing seems really bad since they were all significant contributors last year. Trading Thomas and Goodwin plus letting McKinnon walk are OK.

Like the draft prospects on the offensive line and at the skill positions. All good fits for Shanahan's system. Like the one free agent signing to bolster the pass rush in Nassib.

Decent mock overall.

That's the nature of the salary cap. We have to create cap space for Kittle, Buckner, and all the other cornerstone players we have to give contracts to,

All of those players you mentioned could either be replaced by draft picks or already have players waiting in the wings who have as much or more potential than they do (Mostert for example).

So I can understand wanting to keep someone like Sanders for example... but this draft is LOADED with WRs that would produce at a similar or higher level and would cost us a lot less. That's what should be the goal of every mock... not just to field the best team that year... but what's best for the team in years 2, 3, 4 and beyond.

As far as Verett, I would assume he would want to come back on league minimum and that's why I would bring him back because I still see some value there unlike Ward who will get PAID by someone else after greatly benefitting from a full season behind the best front seven in football. Verrett didn't have that chance this year so his perceived value is much lower than it could have been.
I agree we need to upgrade at RG but cutting a capable starter isn't smart football. It's not like he's making huge money. We just saw a season where our OL depth was tested in a big way...why do we want to weaken our depth?

Just because he was our starter doesn't mean he was any good. He was "serviceable" like you said... but I personally would rather start Brunskill and bring in a RG in the draft who's has potential to be more stout in pass protection and agile in the run game.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Just because he was our starter doesn't mean he was any good. He was "serviceable" like you said... but I personally would rather start Brunskill and bring in a RG in the draft who's has potential to be more stout in pass protection and agile in the run game.

Like I said, I get it...but Person is quality depth. He's not making a huge amount and can play several positions. I like Brunskill myself but let the camp battle sort things out.

I wouldn't cut Person right now. Drafting RG is definitely smart but assuming the rookie will be ready to rock is scary.

Maybe if Person was getting bigger money the move would make sense to me but given OL issues all over the place...I'm holding onto the guys who are even remotely serviceable until we know someone else is better as a starter and depth.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Like I said, I get it...but Person is quality depth. He's not making a huge amount and can play several positions. I like Brunskill myself but let the camp battle sort things out.

I wouldn't cut Person right now. Drafting RG is definitely smart but assuming the rookie will be ready to rock is scary.

Maybe if Person was getting bigger money the move would make sense to me but given OL issues all over the place...I'm holding onto the guys who are even remotely serviceable until we know someone else is better as a starter and depth.

Cap reasons would be my guess. $4.5M saved. Brunskill can slide in as his replacement and you're adding 2 new IOL in the draft which also cost pennies like Brunskill.

TBF, I like keeping 10 OL. So I'd be cool keeping Person and making him compete at RG to push the others and add real high quality depth.

This scheme eats through OL anyhow.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 3, 2020 at 10:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone