LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

OTC's Pre-Combine Mock Draft (02/07/20)

With the all-star games in the books and players' draft stock shifting a bit, it's time to run another mock before things inevitably shift again. I still expect the Niners to trade back to acquire more picks, so this draft will reflect that. Here are the trades I've projected:

* 49ers trade their 1st rounder for a 2nd and 3rd.
* 49ers trade their 2nd rounder again for a 2nd and another 3rd.

2. KJ Hamler-WR-Penn State, 5-9 176 4.36
Hamler possesses blistering speed and lightning quickness, but he's also a pretty good route runner for being so young. He's one of a few players who might crack the 4.2 barrier at the combine. We sorely lack a take-the-top-off kind of player, and we'll need to replace Goodwin, so the 49ers targeting him here would make sense. It might be wishful thinking for him to still be here in the mid 2nd, but who knows what order this star-studded class of WRs will go in? If he's not here, there's a good chance TCU's Reagor will be.

3. Bradlee Anae-DE-Utah, 6-3 257 4.75
With how much our pass rush suffered when Ford wasn't on the field, we've got to upgrade our depth here. We did have some bad luck with the injuries to all our key depth guys, but we need someone who could grow into another starting caliber player with several of our DEs being free agents this year and/or next year (Solly). Anae has fantastic hand usage to always give him a chance to win one-on-one, and I think is a great fit for the wide 9. I expect the Niners to look at a pass rusher at some point in this draft.

3. Matt Hennessy-C-Temple, 6-4 302 5.26
One of the better fits for the zone-blocking scheme, Hennessy possesses both quick feet and power and had a strong Senior Bowl week, although he struggled a bit when moved to guard. We have to seriously consider bolstering our interior, especially with Richburg no guarantee to return 100% after another serious injury.

5. Rodney Clemons-S-SMU, 5-11 198 4.52
Another prospect the 49ers met with. He was a team leader, played both safety spots, and was reportedly a standout as the East West Shrine Bowl. The team played fine without Ward, but not so fine without Ford, which is why I expect pass rush depth to be a higher priority. Still, with the depth at other positions in this class, we could probably land a solid prospect in Clemons in this area (for now at least).

5. Michael Pinckney-LB-Miami, 5-11 234 4.67
Do we really want Al-Shaiir, Elijah Lee, and Mark Nzeocha returning as the only backups to the starters? I don't. The 49ers have heavily targeted guys that they speak at length with during these all-star bowl games, and Pinckney is another one we've looked at. He struggled in initial practices, but improved during the week. Pinckney seems to work off of blocks pretty well and clearly has the range to play in this scheme, but he'll need to shore up his tackling. That's something we should be able to help coach up. Pinckney was a team captain and finished the year with 12.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 3 PBUs, and 6 QB hurries.

6. Kalil Davis-NT-Nebraska, 6-1 308 5.19
Could Davis be the next late round find at nose tackle? Maybe. He was arguably the best player on that Nebraska DL and we talked to him as well at the Shrine Bowl. Twitter called him the best player on the field in Day 1 at least of those practice series. He doesn't have great arm length (only 31 inches) and there's a lot of prospects with more hype ahead of him, so Davis could go a bit later than his true worth, but I think he's someone the 49ers would love to have backing up DJ Jones. With Jullian Taylor constantly being injured and unlikely to be 100% going into next season, we need to shore up the NT depth. Davis led Nebraska with 11 TFL and 8 sacks in 2019.

7. Davion Taylor-LB-Colorado, 6-0 224 4.54
Mature, high character player, who says he models his game after Von Miller. Gets into gaps quickly to disrupt plays and has decent experience as a coverage guy. Overall he's probably more a freak athlete than a polished product right now, but he would be a great fit in our zone scheme and upgrade our depth while also helping out on STs. Wasn't super productive -- he did lead his team with 8 TFL -- but that's not anything eye-opening, and that could push him down a little.

7. Ben Ellefson-TE-North Dakota State, 6-3 250 4.78
Ellefson met with 49ers scouts at the Shrine Bowl and after reviewing his game film, I can see why. He's a perfect fit for what we do. He's already a polished blocker, but evolved into a playmaker as a receiver as a senior. He's not generated much buzz this off-season, as far as I can tell, and his level of competition pushes him down. He could still rise a bit leading up to the draft, but I have to believe he would be a prime target for the team here if available. Other guys who might be in consideration are Dominick Wood Anderson (Tennessee) and Armani Levias (Marshall).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 7, 2020 at 8:00 AM ]
if the 1st 3 pick went down like that
Thanks OTC good assessments.
Imo, Hamler and Anae are JAGs, but Hennessey has good upside, tho I dont think he's an immediate starter. Overall, while we do need to of course think depth in case of injury and for the future, I don't think you targeted anyone that will make an immediate impact during our championship window. That's likely more of a result, however, of our lack of draft capital rather than your selections
If we get Hamler the possibilities are limitless. Man him and Deebo on the field, that's speed.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Imo, Hamler and Anae are JAGs, but Hennessey has good upside, tho I dont think he's an immediate starter. Overall, while we do need to of course think depth in case of injury and for the future, I don't think you targeted anyone that will make an immediate impact during our championship window. That's likely more of a result, however, of our lack of draft capital rather than your selections

What does JAGs mean?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What does JAGs mean?

Just a guy
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
LOVE the idea if we can get out of the 31st spot for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder...

But your top 3 is also next to impossible..

we should trade for AJ Green then Josh Rosen since Miami will try to get rid of him..

sign Trae Waynes..
What does JAGs mean?

Just a guy

Ahhh I see.

I don't see them that way honestly. Hamler is a YAC monster and would be an immediate factor not only in the slot, but also replacing James on kickoff returns. Hamler was top 10 among in YAC over the span of 2017-2019 -- and he's just a redshirt sophomore. Anae has drawn comparisons to Melvin Ingram.

I always do these mocks through the lens of the GM/HC instead of my own. If it were totally up to me, the mock would look much different.

What does JAGs mean?

Just a guy

I'm with you on Hamler but not on Anae Love the picks overall but this mock is missing a CB
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 12, 2020 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
What does JAGs mean?

Just a guy

I'm with you on Hamler but not on Anae Love the picks overall but this mock is missing a CB

While we may still take a CB, I'm not 100% convinced we do. I wouldn't rule out us seeing what we have with Tim Harris and maybe bringing in UDFA competition. Witherspoon is the primary backup now at both CB spots, Reed backs up the slot. I don't think we immediately need to draft anyone if they're not the BPA is all I'm saying.
disagree that we need more depth at LB. LB Was one of our best an deepest positions. kwon was out most of the season an greenlaw an shair fit in very well with their play. we have no more time or resources to waste on positions that we either dont have need or have been wasteful (WR)
Share 49ersWebzone