LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Yay Area's Mock Offseason for the NFC Champions

The job Lynch, Peters, and Shanahan have done rebuilding this roster has been quite impressive, as evidenced by the fact that they are one year removed from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, and now they are in the Super Bowl. There are not a lot of holes on their 53 man roster. The way Brunskill and Skule have developed and performed while Staley and McGlinchey have been out is exhibit number one in my mind. But there are some areas that could use more depth, and some positions where the 49ers need to start looking at potential successors. To that end, my latest mock off-season plan plays out as follows.

Resign: Armstead, Sanders, Ward, S. Coleman, Blair, Breida, Bourne, all other Exclusive RFAs
Restructure/Extend: Garoppolo, Kittle, Buckner, Juszczyk, Jones, Richburg (already done)
Release: Goodwin, McKinnon
No Free Agents: Spending all the money in house.
Draft:
*Trade our 1st to Carolina for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Carolina moves up to the end of the first round.
2 – Darrell Taylor, DE/OLB, Tennessee. 6'4'', 255 lbs. A little undersized, but an explosive athlete and pass rusher. He can come in and be Dee Ford's understudy, and provide depth if Ford struggles to stay healthy again next year.
3 – Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia. Maybe a little bit of a reach that he drops this far, but I think that the ankle injury combined with some concerns with which schemes he best fits in will cause him to drop. Hall is a long, intelligent ball-hawking corner that when you read his draft profiles seems like he could be Sherman's heir apparent.
*Trade both our our 5th rounders to move up in the 4th round.
4 - Hakeem Adeniji, OG, Kansas. Mobile, athletic, 6'4'' 300 lineman, who is perfect for our zone blocking scheme. He has played some tackle, but is likely a guard in the NFL.
5 – Traded
5 – Traded
6 – James Smith Williams, DE, NC State. 6'3'' 265 lbs. Really showed well at the Shrine Game. He may jump higher than this. If not, we get a guy who seems to be similar to a Ronald Blair type big edge rusher.
7 - Charlie Taumaupenu, FB/TE, Portland State. 6'3'', 245 lbs. Best TE/H-Back in the FCS. Good route runner, sneaky speed. Good insurance for Kyle Juszczyk, possibly developing into a player similar to Delanie Walker.
7 – Josh Brown, OT, College of Idaho. Small school, diamond in the rough. 6'7'', 305 lbs. Dual sport athlete, as he is part of the school's Track and Field team. He won conference titles for shotput and discus.
Potential UDFAs to target: James Morgan, QB, FIU. Mason Kinsey, WR, Berry.
[ Edited by YayArea on Jan 20, 2020 at 10:59 AM ]
Nice mock. Like the picks
Nice
I agree emphatically with your decision on our current roster but disagree emphatically with entire draft except the hypothetical trade down. Taylor isn't worth an early 2nd. Hall won't be there in 3rd and I'm not big on any of your other selections. I've read your mocks for years and respect your views. Gonna do some some more research as it's early in the process for us all. But that's my initial thoughts.
Not sure SF will spend cash on Coleman or Blair after their injuries. Simply don't have the cash and I think we have two OTs on the roster that can be backups.

I like Taylor, I don't think he's worth the 38th overall pick in the draft though. IMO you're about 30 picks to high on him at this point.

Not drafting a single WR in this class is a poor idea IMHO. There's simply too much talent not to grab someone. I have my reservations with Hall and his injuries. He is a scheme fit though. Would be a stud value pick in the 3rd (not sure he gets there).
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Not sure SF will spend cash on Coleman or Blair after their injuries. Simply don't have the cash and I think we have two OTs on the roster that can be backups.

I like Taylor, I don't think he's worth the 38th overall pick in the draft though. IMO you're about 30 picks to high on him at this point.

Not drafting a single WR in this class is a poor idea IMHO. There's simply too much talent not to grab someone. I have my reservations with Hall and his injuries. He is a scheme fit though. Would be a stud value pick in the 3rd (not sure he gets there).

Definitely some valid points here. Good re-signings from within, but the Niners can't pay everyone. Would hate to lose Blair, but drafting a potential replacement this year could fix that.

Top 2 picks could be swapped IMO and that would be more value accurate. Definitely think the Niners should get a WR somewhere i this draft. The talent pool is too good to pass up. Love Adeniji pick and Portland St kid at TE/H-back. Nice mock.
Thanks for the feedback. Lots of valid points made.

In regards to wide receivers, I didn't have us drafting one because of the depth we have at that position. Assuming we resign Sanders, we have Sanders, Samuel, Bourne, Pettis, James, Goodwin, and Taylor. That is seven. I assume Goodwin will be cut this offseason, but Taylor is expected to return and be at 100% after this season's surgeries and rehab. And in addition to that, we have to consider Hurd, who is some sort of TE/H-Back/Big WR. I am not opposed to adding additional depth through the draft, but I do wonder given our limited draft picks, if that is the best use of our draft assets.

I hadn't really considered the offensive tackle situation. With the development of Brunskill and Skule, is Shon Coleman expendable? I think the answer is probably yes, especially if the front office is trying to come up with the money needed to resign Armstead and Jones on the defensive line.

As for resigning Blair, I think it is fair to question how much money we should be a backup, rotational defensive lineman, especially when I propose drafting a similar player. In hindsight, I probably should have changed my sixth round pick, James Smith WIlliams, if I was going to propose resigning Blair.

Definitely some valid points in regards to Taylor's value. I have seen various big boards and mocks with him being drafted anywhere from round two to round five. So your concerns that legitimate. My guess is that his combine performance pushes his draft stock solidly into round two or three. I am inclined to follow MBA's suggestion that Hall and Taylor should be flipped, with Hall in round two and Taylor in round three.

If I were to make that switch, and add an additional trade, what would people think of this revised mock?

*Trade down in the second again, in order to pick up an additional 4th.
2 – Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia.
3 – Darrell Taylor, DE/OLB, Tennessee.
4 - Hakeem Adeniji, OG, Kansas.
4 - Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor.
5 – Traded
5 – Traded
6 – James Smith Williams, DE, NC State. 6'3'' 265 lbs.
7 - Charlie Taumaupenu, FB/TE, Portland State.
7 – Josh Brown, OT, College of Idaho.
[ Edited by YayArea on Jan 24, 2020 at 8:19 PM ]
Mims would be a nice pick up.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Mims would be a nice pick up.

But he won't last till the 4th after tearing up the Senior Bowl for a week. He will be gone on day 2.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
But he won't last till the 4th after tearing up the Senior Bowl for a week. He will be gone on day 2.

+1

That's fair. I will keep that in mind going forward.
  • Kyzen
Like this draft, love the trade down and love the positions drafted and where they were drafted, good job!!
we need a fast CB and better pass protection really bad. need to go with that in the 2nd and 3rd rd and everything else will just be depth.
Originally posted by YayArea:
Thanks for the feedback. Lots of valid points made.

In regards to wide receivers, I didn't have us drafting one because of the depth we have at that position. Assuming we resign Sanders, we have Sanders, Samuel, Bourne, Pettis, James, Goodwin, and Taylor. That is seven. I assume Goodwin will be cut this offseason, but Taylor is expected to return and be at 100% after this season's surgeries and rehab. And in addition to that, we have to consider Hurd, who is some sort of TE/H-Back/Big WR. I am not opposed to adding additional depth through the draft, but I do wonder given our limited draft picks, if that is the best use of our draft assets.

I hadn't really considered the offensive tackle situation. With the development of Brunskill and Skule, is Shon Coleman expendable? I think the answer is probably yes, especially if the front office is trying to come up with the money needed to resign Armstead and Jones on the defensive line.

As for resigning Blair, I think it is fair to question how much money we should be a backup, rotational defensive lineman, especially when I propose drafting a similar player. In hindsight, I probably should have changed my sixth round pick, James Smith WIlliams, if I was going to propose resigning Blair.

Definitely some valid points in regards to Taylor's value. I have seen various big boards and mocks with him being drafted anywhere from round two to round five. So your concerns that legitimate. My guess is that his combine performance pushes his draft stock solidly into round two or three. I am inclined to follow MBA's suggestion that Hall and Taylor should be flipped, with Hall in round two and Taylor in round three.

If I were to make that switch, and add an additional trade, what would people think of this revised mock?

*Trade down in the second again, in order to pick up an additional 4th.
2 – Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia.
3 – Darrell Taylor, DE/OLB, Tennessee.
4 - Hakeem Adeniji, OG, Kansas.
4 - Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor.
5 – Traded
5 – Traded
6 – James Smith Williams, DE, NC State. 6'3'' 265 lbs.
7 - Charlie Taumaupenu, FB/TE, Portland State.
7 – Josh Brown, OT, College of Idaho.

That could happen! Nice revision
Share 49ersWebzone