LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 461 users in the forums

OTC's December Mock Premiere, 12-19-19

The 49ers are not going to be loaded with cap space in the coming years like they were when the team was utter garbage. It's just the way it goes in this era, you sometimes have to choose which star you would least hate to lose and draft replacements for them. Ideally, you want to do that as much in advance as you can, but sometimes you can't.

We all have a pretty good idea of what our needs are by now, so this mock looks at how I think we might address them. With as little draft capital as we have, I would be really, really surprised if we didn't try to trade down. It would have to be a can't-say-no kind of player at the spot for us to stay put. In this scenario, we trade down for an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick. So, here it goes.

2. Nick Harris-C/OG-Washington, 6-1 302 5.16
Highly athletic lineman with natural leverage thanks in part to his shorter stature. Despite the lack of height, his arm length is above average for an interior OL. Harris, who has earned back-to-back AP 1st Team All PAC-12 honors, fits like a glove to the zone running scheme we employ. He also has experience at RG where he played in his first two collegiate seasons with 15 total starts at that spot. Harris' success goes all the way back to high school where he played offensive tackle and his former coach told recruiters he was athletic enough to pull every single play if you wanted him to. Harris seems like the perfect fit on paper, and I would be shocked if we didn't at least take a long look at him leading up to the draft.

3. Lynn Bowden-WR-Kentucky, 6-0 199 4.48
As Shanahan continues to try to build his "positionless offense" -- as some have called it -- one of the most fitting players in this class is Lynn Bowden of Kentucky. He's played WR, RB, and even QB at times for his team and if that doesn't scream "Shanahan player" after seeing how he's used our WRs this year, I don't know what does. Bowden is top 10 in the Nation in yards from scrimmage with roughly 1600 total yards and 12 TDs. Last year, he totaled 750 yards receiving with 5 TDs and also ran back two punts for touchdowns. This year, most of his damage was done on the ground with 1200+ rushing yards and 11 TDs. He's a bonafide all-purpose threat who best projects to WR at the NFL level, and most projections I've heard seem to indicate late 3rd to 4th round. Seeing as Hurd was picked by us in the third, I could see us doing it again with Bowden.

5. John Daka-OLB-James Madison, 6-1 227 4.68
Daka will likely need to convert to LB at the next level, as he simply lacks the size to play DL like he does for James Madison. It's impressive to say the least that he's been able to dominate the way he has at just 6-1 227 pounds though, as he's put up monster numbers to the tun of 26.5 TFL, 16.5 sacks, 4 FF, 1 FR, and a blocked kick. His sack and TFL production were both #1 in the nation. Despite this being against small school competition, I won't be shocked to see him make a meteoric rise by the time draft day comes. Daka brings an element of tremendous violence paired with elite speed, so he will be coveted by a number of teams.

5. Delontae Scott-DE-SMU, 6-4 250 4.90

It'll be really interesting to see how Scott tests at the combine. If his speed and agility drills exceed expectations, he may not be available here. Scott has improved each season at SMU and enjoyed a breakout year in 2019 with 10 sacks (15th in the nation) and 18 TFL to go with 3 FF, and 1 kick blocked.

6. Nevelle Clarke-CB-Central Florida, 6-0 187 4.56
I could see Clarke get pushed down a bit by the depth at so many positions in this class. Clarke shows strong instincts and an undeniable willingness to stick his nose into run support. I think he'd be a nice fit in our scheme and could see us giving him a look.

7. Armani Levias-TE-Marshall, 6-3 255 4.81
Marshall isn't really a passing team, as evidenced by the fact that Levias is their leading receiver with 43 catches for 486 yards and 3 TDs, but he's a big reason for their success in all areas. He's definitely a load to bring down, with at least a couple of Kittle-like clips on his resume, and I think his blocking has been just as much of a help, as Marshall ranked 35 in the nation in rushing offense this year on their way to an 8-4 record. Levias is a guy to watch in their Bowl game on Monday 12/23. I've heard rumors he's a riser, so this is yet another player who may gain enough late buzz to not be available in the 7th here, but the Niners need another blocking TE with receiving upside to replace Celek/Toilolo, who offer little in the passing game.

7. Evan Foster-SS-Syracuse, 6-0 215 4.57
Foster is one of the most thunderous hitters in the nation. Of course, however, often times these big hitters have issues wrapping up consistently, and that's something Foster will need to work on too. Still, you've got to love the violence he plays with, and the 49ers need competition at the backup safety spot in the worst way.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM ]
You had me at Nick Harris

Bowden is really intruiging. Nice find there. QB, RB, WR, KR, PR...he did it all.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
High level - a good draft. Few thoughts:

- Lack of size makes me believe Harris will be available in the 3rd round. Slight reach, but I get the logic. Question is if Brunskill could fill that role in 2020 vs. needing to draft Richburg's replacement (or if we need it anyway depending on his recovery progress).

- The Hurd pick makes me question if we'd be interested in Bowden, assuming Hurd stays at WR. If we move him to TE (Kittle, Hurd, Dwelley is a nice trio), then hell yes.

- We're VERY naked on the edge. Ford's chronic issue makes me feel like we have 1.5 starters at the position. We need to re-load at EDGE. I'm sick of seeing Solly take snaps at the position because we don't have enough depth and rotational edge players.

- Big fan of Clarke and Foster picks. Shore up ST duties and provide much needed depth.
Nice mock. Do you put together your own big board or do you pull from another source? Definitely hit the needs from a positional standpoint. Need to research some of the players you have proposed.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice mock. Do you put together your own big board or do you pull from another source? Definitely hit the needs from a positional standpoint. Need to research some of the players you have proposed.

NFL Draft Scout will always be the best source for any true draft junkie.

I pool research from there and then data mine the web for other information. I also do stat analysis for my job so I am naturally a stat guy as well. I dig through quite a bit of statistical data on prospects and look for certain indicators of future success or statistically validated traits. If you know what to look for, it's pretty easy to calculate players' value and predict where most players will go.

I don't necessarily pull from my own board. I just have a generic collection of write ups on various prospects that intrigued me whenever I'm searching for potential Niners upgrades.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 20, 2019 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

NFL Draft Scout will always be the best source for any true draft junkie.

I pool research from there and then data mine the web for other information. I also do stat analysis for my job so I am naturally a stat guy as well. I dig through quite a bit of statistical data on prospects and look for certain indicators of future success or statistically validated traits. If you know what to look for, it's pretty easy to calculate players' value and predict where most players will go.

I don't necessarily pull from my own board. I just have a generic collection of write ups on various prospects that intrigued me whenever I'm searching for potential Niners upgrades.

Thanks for the lesson. I'm fascinated by the "human stock market" component of the draft and am always interested in potential additions to my favorite team. Appreciate your contributions to this site.
Nice mock
  • Kyzen
Nice job OTC!!!!!
Originally posted by GEEK:

- Lack of size makes me believe Harris will be available in the 3rd round. Slight reach, but I get the logic. Question is if Brunskill could fill that role in 2020 vs. needing to draft Richburg's replacement (or if we need it anyway depending on his recovery progress).

- The Hurd pick makes me question if we'd be interested in Bowden, assuming Hurd stays at WR. If we move him to TE (Kittle, Hurd, Dwelley is a nice trio), then hell yes.

- We're VERY naked on the edge. Ford's chronic issue makes me feel like we have 1.5 starters at the position. We need to re-load at EDGE. I'm sick of seeing Solly take snaps at the position because we don't have enough depth and rotational edge players.

- Big fan of Clarke and Foster picks. Shore up ST duties and provide much needed depth.

What about Ronald Blair. I thought he was having a pretty good season before he got hurt.
Nick Harris reminds me a bit of Kilgore. He gets pushed around at the point of attack. I think he is not a day two pick.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by GEEK:

What about Ronald Blair. I thought he was having a pretty good season before he got hurt.

I like Blair, but he's not a speed edge guy. If we scout well, we can replace him in the draft. However, I hope we can sign him to a 1 year deal to get him healthy and back on his feet.
Just watched the Belk Bowl. Lynn Bowden with an insane effort.

34 carries for 233 yds and 2 TD's plus the game winning, 13 yd touchdown throw with 19 secs left.

See what you like.

34 carries for 233 yds and 2 TD's plus the game winning, 13 yd touchdown throw with 19 secs left.

See what you like.

Kid is a baller and the big stage doesn't faze him. I would not be shocked at all if he's a target. There are numerous big-time talents at receiver in this class and I would be absolutely shocked if we don't dip into that pool.
  • All22
  • Veteran

See what you like.

Kid is a baller and the big stage doesn't faze him. I would not be shocked at all if he's a target. There are numerous big-time talents at receiver in this class and I would be absolutely shocked if we don't dip into that pool.

Not sure if he's such a great talent at the next level. He's a smaller, less athletic McKinnon.
Originally posted by All22:

See what you like.

Not sure if he's such a great talent at the next level. He's a smaller, less athletic McKinnon.

I don't know if I'd make that comparison, but I think in the right situation he could do well.

There's a number of hybrid players available that we could be interested in. Antonio Gibson, Bowden, DuVernay, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone