There are 189 users in the forums

GEEK's February 2019 Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Salary Cap Space: $61M

Resign: Gould, Holba (RFA), Lee (RFA), Mostert (RFA) --- $7M spent

Release: Gilliam, Marsh, M. Smith (June 1st), Garcon (June 1st), Watson --- $21M saved

Space Entering Free Agency: $75M

Free Agency:

Earl Thomas - FS - Seahawks | Get the center fielder for our scheme. Critical need addressed.

Preston Smith - EDGE - Redskins | Smith can play SAM, 5T, and LEO in our scheme. >50 pressures in 2018. Durable player.

Shaquil Barrett - SAM - Broncos | Peters and Woods direct connections, Barrett plays SAM on base downs and moves to DE on passing downs.

Ryan Allen - P - Patriots | Upgrade with one of the best punters to hit the market this offseason.

Max Garcia - OL - Broncos | Competition for Magnuson and potential replacement for Mike Person (he gets a Fusco deal in FA).

Tyson Alualu - DE - Steelers | Stout against the run with some pass rush abilities. Ideal 5 tech in our scheme.

Trade: Arik Armstead for Falcons Mohomed Sanu - WR. Falcons desperately need improvement along the DL, and need breathing room for Ridley.

Remaining Salary Cap: $35M

NFL Draft:

- Bosa goes #1 overall to the Cardinals; Haskins, Murray, and Lock are 3 QBs that will go in the top 10 of the draft.

TRADE #1: Giants trade #6, 2nd, 4th, and 2020 1st round draft picks for #2 overall. Giants trade up to select Haskins.
TRADE #2: Broncos trade #10, 3rd, and 2020 3rd round picks for #6 overall. Broncos leapfrog Jags to select Lock.

R1: Byron Murphy - CB - Washington (via DEN) | He can play outside or in the slot, fantastic speed and coverage skills, strong in zone.

R2: Germaine Pratt - LB - NC State | Day 1 starter at WLB that could see some time at SAM. Excellent range and tackling skills.

R2: Chris Lindstrom - OG - Boston College (via NYG) | Day 1 starter at RG to take over for Mike Person. Strike gold twice at BC.

R3: D'Andre Walker - DE - Georgia | Stout against the run, but developing as a pass rusher. Has ideal size and frame to be a true LEO.

R3: Damarkus Lodge - WR - Ole Miss (via DEN) | Excellent at the point of release, breakaway speed, but strong to take on blockers. Slot or Outside.

R4: Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma | Gilliam's replacement at tackle. Evans is an ideal fit in the ZBS.

R4: Ugo Amandi - FS/NB - Oregon (via NYG) | Depth behind Thomas to play the single high role. Should stand out on ST duties.

R6: Jordan Jones - LB - Kentucky | Need to get younger with higher upside players in depth roles. Jones will replace Watson.

R6: Jermone Washington - TE - Rutgers (comp) | Blocking TE with athletic upside. Ideal #3 behind Kittle and Celek.

Depth Chart:

QB: Garoppolo/Mullens/Beathard
RB: Breida/McKinnon/Mostert/Wilson
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Celek/Washington*

WR: Sanu*/Lodge*
WR: Pettis/Goodwin
WR: Taylor/James

LT: Staley/Evans*
LG: Tomlinson
C: Richburg/Garcia*
RG: Lindstrom*/Garnett
RT: McGlinchey

Main Defense -

DE: Barrett*/Blair/Street
DT: Thomas/Jones/Alualu*
DT: Buckner/Day
DE: Smith*/Walker*

LB: Pratt*/Jones*
LB: Warner/Lee

CB: Sherman/Witherspoon
CB: Murphy*/Moore
NB: Williams/Reed
FS: Thomas*/Amandi*
SS: Tartt/Colbert/Harris

ST: Gould, Allen*, Holba
I like the trades...

I would still take an edge (Burns, Ferrell, or Polite) at 10. Barrett or Smith don't signal to me that our dominant edge presence has arrived. This edge class is so impressive that I believe it would be negligent not to jump in early for a difference maker at the most important spot on the defense. I like the Walker pick, but he's still developing, and it's a gamble that he'll become a beast. I'd prefer Ridley, Samuel, or M. Brown to Lodge. I think they are more Kyle's style.

I don't think this staff will be high on Murphy. He's VERY good, but they've hung pretty stubbornly to their archetype at that position, and he doesn't match it.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I like the trades...

I would still take an edge (Burns, Ferrell, or Polite) at 10. Barrett or Smith don't signal to me that our dominant edge presence has arrived. This edge class is so impressive that I believe it would be negligent not to jump in early for a difference maker at the most important spot on the defense. I like the Walker pick, but he's still developing, and it's a gamble that he'll become a beast. I'd prefer Ridley, Samuel, or M. Brown to Lodge. I think they are more Kyle's style.

I don't think this staff will be high on Murphy. He's VERY good, but they've hung pretty stubbornly to their archetype at that position, and he doesn't match it.

I agree with most of that. I happen to love Murphy but not over those DEs. Give me that offseason with Burns for Murphy and I'm thrilled.
Great overall plan. Would make the following changes to fit the Niners biggest needs IMO:

Skip signing Garcia OL and sign a CB like Desir or E. Rowe instead. Like the rest of the free agent class.

Trades are ambitious but wouldn't be unhappy if the Niners turned their #2 pick into 5 picks in the next two drafts. Agree with Wrathman and genus49 that the Niners should go with the best EDGE at #10 and not wait until the 3rd round to take Walker, who reminds me too much of C. Marsh. Would like to take Polite or Burns at #10 and then take someone like Joe Juan Williams from Vandy (6'2" 205lbs) or Derick Baity from Kentucky (6'2" 186lbs). Better value for the picks and the prospects.

Really like the Lindstrom, Lodge and Evans picks. Would help our OL and WR positions immensely.
Share 49ersWebzone