There are 135 users in the forums

Pre FA Mock Offseason

This is likely my final mock until after free agency, so copy and pasted from my evolving thread.

Time for some real deal mock drafting! Will it be the most realistic thing in the world? No mock is. But this is what I would do for the quickest 2 year turn around for our team, and I'll refrain from predicting that we sign every high priced edge rushing free agent and trade down from #1 over all for a mountain of picks.

In order to make a good mock draft, we must first assess what we have. I am going to attempt to identify players that are worth keeping as part of the building process. Players in bold are bonafide stars. Players in italics are unlikely to be around for long.

OFFENSE

QB: Jimmy Garappolo, CJ Beathard, Nick Mullens
OT: Joe Staley, Mike McGlinchey, Shon Coleman
IOL: Laken Tomlinson, Weston Richburg, Mike Person, Joshua Garnett
RB: Jerrick McKinnon, Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert
WR: Marquise Goodwin, Dante Pettis
TE: George Kittle

Assessment: We are nearly set on the OL. We do need to start thinking about a replacement for Staley, and it would be nice to have a bonafide stud somewhere along the interior, but not an immediate priority. RB, while a little one dimensional, looks fine, especially given the scheme. Definitely lacking playmakers at WR and depth at TE.

DEFENSE

DE: Julian Taylor, Ronald Blair
DT: DeForest Buckner, Sheldon Day, DJ Jones
LB: Fred Warner
CB: Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon, K'wuann Williams
S: Jaquiskii Tartt, Adrian Colbert

Assessment: Obvious major lack of talent at DE. Decent depth at DT, but DLine, despite our teams efforts, can use a lot of help. LB is especially thin thanks to Foster, which is a damn shame. The jury is still out on Witherspoon and Colbert, who have shown both great promise, and great disappointment, but even with them at their best, there is still a need for starters and depth, though we do have a lot of unknowns from our most recent rookie class.

Coaching Change:
Hire Kris Richards to be our new DC.

Free Agency:
Tyrell Williams, WR
Prototypical x receiver. Has the size that we are lacking, while also having speed. Hasn't gotten too many opportunities to shine in SD this year, but has stood out when given the chance. Has shown the ability to track the ball over the shoulder, as well as to go up and get it, displaying excellent body control, extension, and hands to pluck the ball out of the air, and away from his frame. Has the potential to greatly out-produce the contract that he is likely to receive.

Shaq Barrett, SLB
A long time crush of mine. Instant upgrade as an on-ball linebacker, and helps to fix our pass rush problem. Understandably sat behind Von Miller, Shane Ray, and now Bradley Chubb, so his lack of eye popping production is not because of a lack of talent.

CJ Mosley, LB
This one is a bit of a stretch, but the Ravens aren't necessarily in cap space heaven either. Rueben Foster's dismissal left a huge hole at LB, and while his fellow Bama alumni wasn't quite the draft prospect that Foster was, he has still been a stud in the NFL, out performing expectations, despite being a 1st round pick. That's more than we could have said for Foster. KJ Wright is a consideration here, but I can't bring my self to have more ex Seattle players from the most recent rivalry days, on our roster.

Grady Jarrett, DT
Another long shot, but hey, weirder things have happened. Injuries will allow the Falcons to draft earlier than their opening roster would dictate, so maybe they look to save money by drafting one of the stud 1st round DTs, allowing us to outbid them. I know we have a lot of DTs, but none on this level.

Free Agency Assessment:
With only 5 draft picks originally slotted for the 49ers, we need to be heavy spenders in FA to shore up some of our many holes. Yes, these will be some expensive contracts, but with only DeForest Buckner due for a major contract, and our QB going into the second half of his heavily front loaded contract, now is the time to maximize the talent on our team, as the players at prime (expensive) positions, such as OT, ER, WR, CB are all on their rookie contracts. The NFL is all about windows, and this is ours.

Trades:
Soloman Thomas for a 2019 3rd round pick.
It pains me to say, but I'm ready to move on, and get value while someone still thinks they can turn his career around (and I hope they're successful). I just dont see him being the answer here.

Joshua Garnett for a 2020 5th round pick.
I also still have faith that Josh could be a starter for this team, but we have a few "starters," and not enough studs, so we take the extra draft ammunition.

2019 3rd + 2020 3rd for 2019 2nd

Trade down a few spots in the 2nd for a 2nd + 5th. Someone moves up 2 or 3 spots for one the remaining pass rushers.

Draft:

R1: Nick Bosa, DE
Game changing DE. Forget all the noise about trading down, we have so many holes because we keep filling them with inadequate plugs. Sure, the injuries worry me as much as the next guy, but this is a Von Miller, Jadeveon Clowney, Myles Garrett level prospect, with a higher floor than all of them. He can win inside of you, outside of you, or through you. Total package; speed, size, strength, explosiveness, get off, flexibility, bend, COD, moves, hands, IQ.

R2: Bryce Hall, CB
I am probably higher on Ahkello then most on the forum, but I still think he needs competition, and we also need Sherman's successor. Bryce hall plays aggressive, has the size we covert, but the long speed and athleticism that is lacking from many corners of his size.

R2: Dalton Risner, OL
Has been successful at tackle, but I'm moving him inside. Aside from one rep, he dominated Montez Sweat in pass protection, and the tape was wildly impressive. Upon further review, he has the requisite athleticism and mobility for a zone scheme, but the strength, grip, and mean streak of a player not normally synonymous with finesse. I really see Risner as a poor man's Quenton Nelson.

R3: DJ Hockenson, TE
Think Kittle, except hes 2x the prospect.

R4: Emanuel Hall, WR
We need play makers, period. Hall is a size/speed prospect, with definite emphasis on speed. Has the footwork and quickness for a clean release off the LOS, and if the CB misses their jam, he is gone.

R5: Rock Ya-Sin, CB
Playmakers aren't only needed on the offensive side of the ball, we need interceptions and big stops in the worst way. Enter Rock Ya-Sin. With 2 picks and 12 PBUs, his games are littered with impressive ball skills. He has the size and length that our scheme demands, and the athleticism to do well in coverage. Let Tarvarious Moore focus more on his ideal FS position, and let cornerbacks play cornerback.

R6: Alton Robinson, ER
The one player in this class I regret not being able to obtain is Jachai Polite. Alton Robinson brings some of the same traits to the table. Highly explosive, with great speed. Apparently a gym workout warrior as well. I dont see the same level of bend that Jachai displays, but I am still wowed by his COD skills, as he seems to always have his hips and toes pointed towards the QB, and he definitely would still be described as a "bendy" edge rusher. He kind of reminds me of a hybrid between Polite and Josh Sweat, and from what I've read, he has the drive and the love for football to succeed.

UDFA: Ryquell Armstead, RB
We will need insurance in case McKinnon cant go. Obviously, I'm not predicting he will replace his expected production, but Armstead has great contact balance, good burst, vertical speed, lateral agility, patience, and vision. Should definitely be able to replace Alfred Morris as the COP back to bang out some tough yardage.

2020 Draft

R1: Grant Delpit, S
Absolute stud safety. I'm happy with McGlinchey in hindsight, but man I wanted Derwin James. Delpit can do it all, man coverage, single high, box safety, doesnt matter. We need play makers, and Delpit will be the leader of this defense.

R2: Alaric Jackson, OT
Joe Staley's successor. A true dancing bear with great size and mobility. Not quite Tyron Smith or Terron Armstead, but Taylor Lewan could be a good comp in terms of size and athleticism. Can move vertically and laterally. You know the OL coaching at Iowa is top notch, and they run a ton of outside zone concepts, so he has proven ability within the scheme. OL is set for 10 years.

2020 Roster

Offense

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, CJ Beathard, Nick Mullens
Analysis: Assuming Jimmy G is who we all think he is, we are ready to win some championships with him and Shanny. Good enough depth pieces behind him to win a game or two in his absence.

OL: Alaric Jackson, Laken Tomlinson, Weston Richburg, Dalton Risner, Mike McGlinchey, Shon Coleman, Mike Person, Erik Magnuson
Analysis: We have the cornerstones in place to last for most of the Shanny/Jimmy G era. Some FA supplementation along the way, and this should remain a strength of the team. 2020 or 2021 will be the time to find a new center. Perhaps a top 65 pick in 2021 if we cant get Xavier Thomas (ER) or Ahmon St Brown (WR).

RB: Jerrick McKinnon, Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert, Ryquell Armstead, Kyle Juszczyk
Analysis: We are set here. A lot of young talent, with a lot of speed, allowing Kyle to get the most out of his play book. The corps is little one dimensional, but nothing we cant supplement with free agency or a later round draft pick for a bigger, contact balance type of guy.

WR: Tyrell Williams, Marquise Goodwin, Dante Pettis, Emanuel Hall, Trent Taylor, Richie James Jr.
Analysis: We are looking quite deadly here. A ton of speed, with a ton of ability to get open and pick up YAC. We also have our security blanket possession receiver in Williams.

TE: George Kittle, DJ Hockenson
Analysis: Best TE group since Gronk and Hernandez? George Kittle has proven to be such a mismatch in the receiving game, so just imagine two of them! In the run game, we have perhaps the two best blocking TEs, helping our smaller RBs stay clean for large chunk plays.

Offensive Analysis: We should have the fire power to keep up with the offensive outputs of teams like the Saints, Rams, Chiefs, etc. There will be no more excuses for Jimmy G and Shanny. With 4 receivers who are all extremely capable of stretching the field, and 2 of the fastest RBs in the league as threats to catch the ball out of the backfield, how do you cover without allowing your two stud TEs to run free in the middle of the field? Add in the best FB in football, an OL good enough to allow time for plays to develop, and an offensive master mind at HC, and it's all up to Jimmy to be who we all think he is.

Defense:

LOS: Nick Bosa, DeForest Buckner, Grady Jarrett, Kentavious Street, Shaq Barrett, Alton Robinson, Sheldon Day, DJ Jones, Arik Armstead, Julian Taylor, Ronald Blair, Dekoda Watson
Analysis: Nick Bosa alone greatly elevates this position group, but we now have a starting DL full of 3 down difference makers who can play the run, and wont need to come off the field, as they can get after the passer as well. Behind them is extraordinary depth, comprised of low level starter/ high level backup level players. On-ball LB is full of actual pass rushers.

LB: CJ Mosley, Fred Warner, Elijah Lee, Malcom Smith
Analysis: We will need a replacement for Smith, and better depth sooner rather than later, but Fred and CJ make up a very promising starting duo, and help to make up for the unfortunate loss of Reuben Foster.

CB: Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon, Bryce Hall, Rock Ya-Sin, K'wuann Williams, D.J. Reed
Analysis: The pieces for life post Sherman on the outside are all there. Will need a new slot CB, but our safeties can help there.

S: Grant Delpit, Adrian Colbert, Tarvarious Moore, Jaquiski Tartt
Analysis: Marcell Harris might push Tart of the roster, but I dont see that happening. Keep him at Slinebacker, let Colbert and Moore battle it out for a starting spot, and just let Delpit work.
If they dont waste time with the CB experiment, Moore could develop into an Earl Thomas type player.

Defensive Analysis: Pass rush is infinitely improved, to the point that, even without the additions to the backfield, our defensive performance should drastically improve. Speaking of the backfield, it is now full of scheme correct play makers, and our LB corps ties it all together.

Overall analysis: I don't know how long we'd be able to keep it all together, but this is a championship caliber roster on paper. For the long term, the foundational pieces are there to remain competitive for years.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
The only olinemen that's a cornerstone is mcglinchy. And he is only an rt. Everyone else has not been good. Infact after him tomlison is our best lineman. I love Joe but he's gone. Lynch will never go big in free agency. Hence trade down
Very good. I like Alexander over Mosely in FA but overall I like!
Originally posted by fan49:
The only olinemen that's a cornerstone is mcglinchy. And he is only an rt. Everyone else has not been good. Infact after him tomlison is our best lineman. I love Joe but he's gone. Lynch will never go big in free agency. Hence trade down

Considering I draft a LT, a RG, and mention the need for a new center.....
Not sure I get the logic of dumping AA, and not using the cap space he would create. He's had a good year, and giving up both him and ST makes no sense to me.

I'm all on board with Shaq Barrett, he's my #1 target. I'd rather ride with Pierre for another year than sign a vet WR. Would rather use a mid-round pick on a guy who can replace him down the road.

I would get down with Mosely, but would prefer a vet Free Safety. I'm partial to Honey Badger.
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Not sure I get the logic of dumping AA, and not using the cap space he would create. He's had a good year, and giving up both him and ST makes no sense to me.

I'm all on board with Shaq Barrett, he's my #1 target. I'd rather ride with Pierre for another year than sign a vet WR. Would rather use a mid-round pick on a guy who can replace him down the road.

I would get down with Mosely, but would prefer a vet Free Safety. I'm partial to Honey Badger.

AA is still on my final roster, and I don't think Garcon has shown to have anything left in the tank. Waste of a roster spot.
Share 49ersWebzone