LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers:The Return Of The Garopocalypse Mock Draft 2.0

Have held off until I had a better idea of which way the 49ers could go. This mock draft will definitely make some people mad, tried to look at overall team needs, the players that the 49ers have actually shown interest in and those who would be reasonably logical fits for the schemes the team is running.

Round 1-Minkah Fitzpatrick-6'0", 205-CB/FS-Alabama.

The 49ers have met with Minkah twice this offseason but he's largely gone under the radar. They met with him at the Combine and brought him in for a visit, character wise he is everything that Lynch and Shanahan say they are looking from players. Hard worker doesn't even begin to describe him, obsessive, OCD about greatness, he's a grinder and then some. On the field he is a leader and a guy who makes sure that everyone else is exactly where they need to be. Football instincts are through the roof, versatility gives him the ability to play in the slot or potential free safety and outside CB.

I envision the 49ers using him the same way Arizona utilized Tyrann Mathieu when he was an All Pro. I think Fitzpatrick has that kind of upside and could be moved around to counter whatever an offense is attempting to do.

Round 2-Kemoko Turay-6'5".253-DE-Rutgers

Turay is a guy that the 49ers have shown interest in, brought him in for a private workout, an edge rusher with great get off and explosiveness, would likely be limited to a 3rd down role as a rookie, struggles against the run, sometimes mightily so but for what the 49ers need, he could be a good fit to come in at Leo and get after the quarterback. Has injury issues in his past which will also knock him down.

Very much a project but a guy that you bring in and coach up, at this point in the draft, considering the talent, he is well worth taking a chance on.

7. KEMOKO TURAY, Rutgers (6-4 ½, 251, 4.69, 2): Came to the U.S. from Guinea at age 3 but didn't play varsity football until his senior year in Newark, N.J. "I see raw talent that can be developed," one scout said. "There's something there. He's got height. His game is so much more athletic than strength. When he gets in tighter quarters he gets mauled a little bit. He's slippery as a run defender and flashes skills accelerating while making moves as a pass rusher. Not a real bright kid. He's got height." Ran a fast 40 and the best 3-cone (6.81) of the edges. "When he walks in the room you go, 'Oh, my gosh, where did this guy come from?'" said a second scout. "Turay's production has never matched the potential but I have to think his best football is out ahead of him." Played four years but didn't start until 2017 for an armpit of a program. Finished with 103 tackles (20 ½ for loss) and 15 ½ sacks, including a career-high 7 ½ in '14. Has had shoulder surgery. Some scouts says he probably isn't smart enough to play OLB. "He can run, comes off the edge, can bend and dip and contort his body," said a third scout. "There's things this guy does on film that are just like, 'Holy (bleep).' There are concerns about his level of mental toughness. Not necessarily a natural football guy. Not a finished product."

Round 3(Chicago)-Fred Warner-6'3", 236-OLB-BYU.

A LB/S hybrid of sorts, Warner is still raw in many ways but could come in as a rookie and play on the weakside with Malcolm Smith in the middle while Foster's issues get worked out. He needs to improve on his tackling technique, its one of his primary flaws but something most feel is coachable. His speed and ability in coverage will allow him to play right away with some growing pains but he has the potential to develop into a very good Will LB.

From NDT

Warner killed the Senior Bowl, showing he can make the transition off the ball after playing as a big slot and a non-pass rushing edge defender at BYU. I think he's going to be an even better pro than he was in college, as his ball skills and range in coverage should get him on the field right away. He's got to finish better as a tackler, but he gets off blocks better than any linebacker in this class not named Rashaan Evans.
https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-2018-nfl-draft-final-positional-rankings-linebackers/

Round 3-Brian O'Neil-6'7", 296-OT-Pitt.

O'Neil is the developmental tackle prospect to take over at either right or left tackle down the road. A converted TE he's still extremely raw but with top notch athleticism for his size. Limited playing strength means his best fit is a zone blocking scheme. Give this guy some time, some good coaching to fix some of his technique flaws which are numerous and he has the upside to be a very good NFL starter at tackle.

From NDT

a. Brian O'Neill, LT, PittsburghStandout Traits – Athletic Ability, Play Speed, Zone-Blocking

Biggest Question Mark – Play Strength, Anchor, Hand Usage

O'Neill is the most intriguing developmental tackle in the draft class. The former tight end convert switched to tackle prior to his redshirt sophomore year and has primarily played right tackle prior to the 2017 season, making the switch full-time to the left side (finished career with 24 RT/13 LT starts). His functional athleticism is elite, particularly in space as a puller where he demonstrates special closing speed to overrun smaller/quicker defenders in space. His pass set is crisp and clean, but his hand placement, strike timing, and precision hitting set points still needs some work.

The biggest issue I have with his projection to the NFL involves below average play strength, especially when having to build his house and transition to anchor vs. power-rushers. Sometimes this can be mitigated as much with technical refinement as adding raw strength, and I think he will need to improve in both areas before he can be reliable on an island in pass-protection. The N.C. State game this year showed me both of the aforementioned strengths and weaknesses, in a performance that left me ecstatic about his pro prospects on some reps, and terrified on others.

If he can be brought along slowly with plenty of slide protections to his side to help protect his inside shoulder, we could be looking at a dynamic starter near the end of his first contract. Ideally, he would be drafted to a team in a heavy zone scheme allowing him to play in as much space as possible, utilizing his quickness and play speed while he continues to gain confidence and strength.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/thorn-2018-nfl-draft-ol-rankings/

Round 4(Pittsburgh)-Auden Tate-6'5", 228-WR-Florida State.

Tate is the big bodied red-zone threat that people have been clamoring for. Overall there's quite a few deficiencies in his skillset but areas in which he is elite, namely body control and elevating for passes, make him a valuable addition to any roster. Many similarities to Brandon Coleman with the potential to be a touchdown machine. He's a difficult cover in the endzone due to his sheer bulk and leaping ability, he would provide Jimmy G with a huge target to loft it up to. Long term he could settle in as a quality #3 WR.

'
Round 5(New York Jets)-Kameron Kelly-CB-6'2", 204-CB-San Diego State.

Big bodied cornerback to develop into an eventual starter. Like Sherman he is a former WR, shows outstanding football instincts and recognition, learning from Sherman could be the perfect developmental scenario for him. Has experience playing both safety and CB in college.

Round 6-Sam Jones-6'5", 305-OG-Arizona State.

A Shanahan special, the sort of underappreciated, under rated offensive lineman that Mike built entire offensive lines off of. Jones lacks the strength to play in a typical gap blocking scheme, has the athleticism and especially agility to work in a zone blocking scheme. Very intelligent and hard working player, was a captain at ASU, he is the sort of guy that you draft and develop for a year or two, have him come in and be a starter at guard for years to come afterwards.

Bonus, he looks like a puffed up Jason Momoa.

Round 7(Miami)-Abdullah Anderson-6'4", 295-DE/DT-Bucknell.

Developmental interior DL that can rush the passer but primarily a high quality run stopper. Played at a lower level of competition and will need to adjust to the NFL level.

Round 7(Kansas City)-D'Ernest Johnson-5'10", 205-RB-Central Florida.

More competition at RB in case Joe Williams hasn't gotten it together. Not flashy but patient rusher with good vision and hands. Limited athletic ability but could be another late round gem in the Shanahan ZBS.

You're right. This projection is not what most people would expect for the Niners draft. A good but not great collection of players with some early picks in Turay and O'Neill that are a little surprising.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You're right. This projection is not what most people would expect for the Niners draft. A good but not great collection of players with some early picks in Turay and O'Neill that are a little surprising.

I feel like people won't be super psyched about this draft when it is all said and done but the players that they add will further lay the foundation for the next 49ers run at a title.

In this case at #9 I could see any number of players but something tells me that Fitzpatrick is a guy that they really covet and would love to add to the defense if he is on the board still, seems like the sort of player that Saleh would love to tinker around and utilize a variety of packages with while being someone that Lynch and Shanahan would love period and a young leader in the locker room.

Turay gives you a 3rd down pass rusher with Thomas eating up base downs at Leo. Can develop over time into a true 3 down DE.

O'Neil is still pretty raw as a tackle but the ZBS is the perfect scheme for him, he's already been working with Staley, he needs a year to continue developing before being pushed into the starting lineup.

Warner has the athleticism and talent necessary to become a quality weakside LB in this scheme as long as he progresses in his tackling.
I guess I'm not 1 who will be mad at this draft, 2 jersey kids who are going to be great and good players IMO, I feel like both haven't begun to show their talent, love the Warner, Tate, and Jones picks too, idk who the Bucknell or UCF kids are but in the 7th they are the kind of players you look for, but like I said this would be a quality draft with great prospects..
  • crew
  • Veteran
Nice draft, love all the picks in first 3 RDs.
I like it alot.

Nice work.
I like it a lot too. It's a very sound mock clearly getting team needs this year for next year in systems that can take a year or more to master. Many, if not all, will get the full compliment of snaps or get snaps while they grow into more permanent roles next year. Well done.
Wouldn't b mad at all if this is the way tomorrow night goes down. Addresses each layer of the defense with the first three picks. Next two picks get us a tackle that fits our scheme well and a red zone weapon. Well done.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
What a noob. No Landry or Nelson? Bust draft. Hate it.

---

All kidding aside. The beauty of our pick in round 1 is that you can justify any defensive position (sans 3T or SDE). I like Fitzpatrick because it allows us to flex Tartt to LB in sub-packages.

LB: M. Smith
LB: Tartt

DB: Sherman
NB: Williams
FS: Fitzpatrick
SS: Colbert
DB: Witherspoon

Huge upgrade vs. last year's secondary.

Not too keen on Turay as part of this scheme, especially someone that can provide immediate upside. I think that's the weakest pick here.

Otherwise, all of the other picks make a ton of sense.
Share 49ersWebzone