hey i really need help on this trade
this is my team

QB- Matt Schaub/Shaun Hill
RB- DeAngelo williams/ryan grant/ray rice/sammy morris
WR-colston/ santonio holmes/randy moss/bruce
TE-greg olsen
DST-ravens
K-Hartley

the trade is deAngello wiliams and colston for fitzgerald and kevin smith (lions RB)

is this a good deal for me?
thx for the help
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jul 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM ]
  • TheHitman
  • Info N/A
Hell no. RBs are usually the heart of your FFL team. DeAngelo finished strong, too. Even the best WR has a tough time offsetting a good RB in poing production. Look at it this way... if their yards and TDs are worth the same, a RB is going to touch the ball at least twice as much and rack up way more goal line touches and TDs. If a WR has 1,200 yards and 8 TDs, they had a good year. A good RB can rack up 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 20+ TDs easily.

I'd stick with Colston and deAngelo. I wouldn't touch Kevin Smith for all the tea in China. He won't produce. They've been waiting on him for years now and still nada.
no
  • GoNiners42
  • Info N/A
i like it. i think deangelo will not repeat last yr. larry fitz is so consistant and smith has good upside and was very solid last yr. colston does not get as many ball to him and will not again this yr. lance moore is brees favorite and bush is going to get alot of ball thrown to him from the slot (i read that he may have 100 cathces). they also have 2-3 other good wr.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheHitman:
Hell no. RBs are usually the heart of your FFL team. DeAngelo finished strong, too. Even the best WR has a tough time offsetting a good RB in poing production. Look at it this way... if their yards and TDs are worth the same, a RB is going to touch the ball at least twice as much and rack up way more goal line touches and TDs. If a WR has 1,200 yards and 8 TDs, they had a good year. A good RB can rack up 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 20+ TDs easily.

I'd stick with Colston and deAngelo. I wouldn't touch Kevin Smith for all the tea in China. He won't produce. They've been waiting on him for years now and still nada.

Your thinking of Kevin Jones. Kevin Smith was last years 3rd round pick and should have a decent year since Maurice Morris will be a change of pace only (they are not going to be a 1-2 punch).
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoNiners42:
i like it. i think deangelo will not repeat last yr. larry fitz is so consistant and smith has good upside and was very solid last yr. colston does not get as many ball to him and will not again this yr. lance moore is brees favorite and bush is going to get alot of ball thrown to him from the slot (i read that he may have 100 cathces). they also have 2-3 other good wr.

Colston when healthy is the Saints #1 WR. He only played in 11 games last year (started 6) thus why his production was down.

As for the deal it is not a good deal for someone who is weak at the RB spot however on the flip side Williams TD numbers could go down with Stewart likely to get more touches this year. Kevin Smith should get the bulk of the Lions work. I'd only do the deal IF I could pick up another #1 RB somehow via trade.
Thats a good trade for you, I would pull the trigger. Deangelo loses too many touches to stewart, and Fitz is > Colston.

do it
  • TheHitman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by TheHitman:

Your thinking of Kevin Jones. Kevin Smith was last years 3rd round pick and should have a decent year since Maurice Morris will be a change of pace only (they are not going to be a 1-2 punch).

DOH'! You're completely right. I am confusing him with Jones. I still wouldn't trade for a RB from DET unless his name is Barry. DeAngelo tore it up last year and finished near the top in terms of RB production (if not the top). Colston isn't healthy, but is always a threat when on the field. I'd take my chances with those two over Smith.
no
I wouldn't do it because I am not that high on Kevin Smith. The Lions are going to be behind so much that I just don't see Smith ever getting more than 20 carries a game. You can't run the ball when you are behind 21 points. Plus, the Lions have a bad O-line and will probably be starting a rookie QB. His value goes up a little in a PPR league, but he is nowhere near Deangelo. The upgrade from Colston to Fitz is not worth the huge RB downgrade, IMO.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
I think I will give this trade offer a serious thought. DeAngelo Williams is unlikely to match last year's production. Plus, Jonathan Stewart will get even more carries this year as he continues to get better. ALSO, Carolina is playing one of the toughest schedule in NFL this year, keep that in mind.

Colston is a good WR, but was injured last year and Saints have so many option on offense, that I don't see Colston matching his best season from couple years ago. They have Lance Moore, Meachem is starting to come along, then there is Shockey, and Reggie Bush is also returning. I mean, Colston is the best receiver there, but way too many options for Brees.

Larry Fitzerald is the top 3 WR in the league, no question about it. He is only getting better.

As for Kevin Smith, he finished the season strong. He had 8 TDs last year as a rookie and had a strong finish to the season. He is only going to improve on his numbers from last year. He only started getting most of the carries after week 8, and ended up with almost 1000 yards and 8 Tds. That's not bad at all. He is the unquestioned starter for Lions and have little to no competition behind him. Not to mention, he had almost 40 catches as well.

To me, I will really think about this trade and most likely do the trade. It is a pretty even trade, but considering DeAngelo Williams has Stewart backing him, and will be playing the toughest schedule - gives me a pause about him. And, Colston injury and plethora of options for Brees on offense is also a worry.
I would take it without question. I'd prefer Fitz to Colston and K. Smith to D. Williams. I know many value D. Williams over K. Smith, but I believe they're wrong. I actually owned both backs last season and watched them every week on Sunday Ticket and will be keeping K. Smith this year.

[ Edited by mug0mug on Jul 25, 2009 at 15:32:34 ]
Share 49ersWebzone