Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Alex Smith: Comeback Player of the Year

Brian Renick
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM6

Alex Smith can be a lightning rod for 49er fans. He is, arguably, the poster child for the lean years of the Nolan/Singletary/Tomsula (1 game) era. There is the ever-present "Smith taken ahead of Rodgers" storyline, or the way he was Wally Pipp'd by Colin Kaepernick on the way to a Super Bowl season.

All of that aside, Alex Smith is one my favorite 49ers of the last twenty years. It was not his fault that he was drafted #1 overall to a team that was nowhere near ready to compete. It's not his fault that, during his tenure in San Francisco, he had 4 different head coaches and SEVEN different offensive coordinators (Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz, Jimmy Raye II, Mike Johnson, and finally Greg Roman). That is a Murderer's Row of mediocrity and ineptitude that would derail ANY quarterback, not to mention the sieve that was the 49er offensive line during the beginning of his career.

Despite the above dysfunction, Smith was the consummate professional. He did not blast his coaches, his teammates, the front office, ownership, or anybody else. He put his helmet on and went out on the field to compete to the best of his ability. Once he was placed in an offense with a competent play-caller and solid protection in front of him, he flourished and led the team to the 2011 NFC Championship Game. I will never forget the naked bootleg around left-end that he ran in for a 28-yard touchdown against the New Orleans Saints in the Divisional round of those playoffs, and the throw to Vernon Davis for the go-ahead touchdown with just nine seconds left in the same game (The Catch III). I get chills just writing about it!

I was sad to see him traded to Kansas City, but rooted for him at a distance. I was heart-broken for him when Mahomes surpassed him, just like Kaepernick. I was excited to see him shipped off to Washington for yet another chance. When he went down with his horrific leg injury I was devastated once again. What else did this man have to go through in his career? The subsequent stories that came out about his recovery from the broken leg, the SEVENTEEN surgeries that he endured, the near-amputation of the leg due to continued infections made it seem like his career was virtually over.

On Sunday, August 16th, 2020, 21 months after his injury, Smith joined his teammates on the practice field for the Washington Football Team. I don't think I can adequately express just how proud I am of a man I have never, and probably will never, meet. I was smiling from ear to ear as the coverage showed him walking out on to the field, helmet in hand, taking dropbacks, and making throws.

I don't care if Matthew Stafford leads the Detroit Lions to a Super Bowl victory, I don't care if Todd Gurley breaks the NFL rushing record, and I don't care if Cam Newton runs for 2000 yards in whatever single wing offense Bill Belichick is scheming up over in Foxboro…

Alex Smith is the Comeback Player of the Year.

• Rich
    Couldn't agree more. I hope he is able to put together some more good years in Washington. A real professional. So glad he has been able to finally overcome that injury.
    Aug 28, 2020 at 12:41 PM
  • Paul
    The ESPN story Alex Smith: Project 11 is amazing. His life was in jeopardy. His injury was gruesome. I'd like to see him play one more game and retire. He always seemed like a great teammate.
    Aug 25, 2020 at 2:00 PM
  • Alex
    Very, very well put, I totally share your feelings, though I've lived through all those years. The sentiment was eased, after all, by the previous appearance of Shaun "It Came Down Like a Punt" Hill. Niners rarely put Alex Smith in a position to win and if so, they pulled him out of the line after all. Now I'm really pulling for him.
    Aug 20, 2020 at 9:09 PM
  • Jake
    Well said. Good 49er fans watched all those games through the tough years and it was brutal to watch Alex lose his job to an injury and after being belittled as just a good "game manager" (while being one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the league in his last year with the Niners before getting hurt) he never had a bad word to say about anybody after any of those losses and didn't complain when he lost his job. He helped Kaepernick try to win. He always owned needing to get better and to helping his teammates get better. I actually became somewhat of a closet Chiefs fan for a couple of years when he was traded...for what? A pick that turned out to be Carlos Hyde? Coming back from that nasty injury and even be able to walk right is impressive and Smith should be inspirational to others in how to work.
    Aug 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM
    Response: Just walking again is a win, let alone being cleared to play professional football! Such a good dude and he is easy to root for
  • Jeff
    Love this article, I completely agree. Alex Smith was as humble and professional a person as any of us could be. There is a video on him called "sportfan: the alex smith story" if you have minutes I highly recommend watching, it's a tearjerker. I vividly remember watching his game against the saints in the playoffs. Man......what a QB......what a guy....thank you Alex.
    Aug 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    Response: Thanks so much! He’s obviously not a Niner anymore, but he is a Niner for life in my book! I will definitely check out the video
  • Andrew
    Very nice piece. I completely agree. I came from UNR and was thrilled to see Kaep play so well and take over when he did. At the same time, I felt terrible for Alex, because he played well with a good team around him. He may not reach the heights of other quarterbacks with great teams around them, and there are players like Mahomes who may cause a paradigm shift in quarterback play. But, players like Alex Smith should be celebrated for creating a paradigm shift in professionalism and toughness. Another often overlooked and under appreciated fact about players like Alex Smith, RGIII, Andrew Luck, Colon Kaepernick...they excelled academically in college and graduated.
    Aug 19, 2020 at 4:21 PM
    Response: Thanks for the feedback! That’s a great point about the academic success of that group.

Alex Smith's top 5 moments with the 49ers

By Sasha D. Robinson
13 hrs ago

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith retired from the NFL after playing 14 of the last 16 seasons in the league. Smith, who was the top overall draft pick of the 49ers in 2005, spent his first seven years in the Bay Area. The former Utah Ute had many mountains to climb with San Francisco, like five different offensive coordinators, head coaches who did not believe in him, and being in the same draft as California Golden Bears' Aaron Rodgers, whom the Green Bay Packers drafted in the same draft. In honor of his career with the 49ers, here are Smith's top five moments with the team. Moment 5: The Phoenix rises After a horrible 45-10 loss to the Atlanta Falcons and coming off a bye week, the 49ers traveled to Houston in a Week 7 game on Oct. 25,

Former 49ers QB Alex Smith announces retirement

Apr 19, 2021

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, who spent time with the Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Football Team, has announced his retirement from the NFL. He and his wife, Elizabeth, both posted the following via their Instagram

Bay Area media reacts to ex-49ers QB Alex Smith's retirement

Apr 19, 2021

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall pick by the team in 2005, officially announced his retirement from NFL today. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN2j9LohMi4/?utm_source=ig_embed The announcement has garnered a significant reaction from the media, who watched Smith not only overcome a devastating leg injury that nearly cost him his life, but also return to football this past season, earning him NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors. Here are a few of the reactions from Bay Area reporters who helped cover the team for at least a portion of Smith's eight seasons with the

49ers sign former Eagles QB Nate Sudfeld to a one-year deal

Apr 7, 2021

The San Francisco 49ers announced that the team has signed former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nate Sudfeld to a one-year deal. The Washington Football Team made Sudfeld a sixth-round selection out of Indiana in 2016. He signed with the Eagles practice squad before the 2017 season. Sudfeld completed five-of-12 attempts (41.7 percent) for 32 yards and an interception in one game with the Eagles last season, per NFL.com. San Francisco now has four quarterbacks on its roster. They are Jimmy Garoppolo, Josh Rosen, Josh Johnson, and now Sudfeld. The team is expected to draft a quarterback with the No. 3 overall pick, which they acquired on March 26 via a trade with the Miami Dolphins. Sudfeld, 27, has completed 67.6 percent of his passes for 188 yards

More by Brian Renick