Lynch and Shanahan to Give Kaepernick Fair Shot at Quarterback Position

Anwar Jamison
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM

Newly hired 49ers general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan held their introductory press conference on Thursday, and quickly dispelled the popular notion that it is a foregone conclusion that quarterback Colin Kaepernick will not be on the team during the 2017 season.

"Colin reached out and we plan on visiting, that's something Kyle and I committed to," Lynch revealed. "In order to find out what you need, you first have to really take inventory of what you have. We'll sit down with him and if we see fit that he's a part of it, we'll commit to that. If not, we'll figure things out."

"It starts with me with just studying people," Shanahan added, "I need to go watch it on tape and Colin, like any other player, is someone I'm going to be watching a lot of tape on the next few weeks." Kaepernick, for his part, has maintained that "all things being equal," he'd like to return to the 49ers. The fact that he took the initial step of reaching out to Lynch seems to confirm that.

An intriguing revelation by Lynch was his previous interaction with Kaepernick during his stint at FOX. Analysts routinely meet with coaches and key players prior to games and Lynch described positive encounters with Kaepernick when they met.

"I'm looking forward to sitting down with him. I really am. Colin and I, when I did some 49ers games, I'd say we hit it off. I'd say there was a trust there. I think that trust extends, and I was thrilled when he reached out. I'm looking forward to talking with him."

These developments fly in the face of reports from numerous outlets that Kaepernick had already decided to opt out of his contract, and if not, that the team would cut him. It appears that the new 49ers' brass are committed to a patient approach, and judging Kaepernick based on their own personal interaction with him, along with his on-field performance, rather than by the words of others who may take issue with him based on his stance on pertinent social issues.

• itstee
    They didn't say they will "give him a fair shot at the QB Position" all they said was they will evaluate all the players on the roster first before exploring other options. After "taking inventory" of the current roster, Kaepernick can get released (hopeful this is the case)
    Feb 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM
  • To Redwood City Bob
    Your white pointy hat is showing.
    Feb 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM
  • F U RACIST
    I DONT LIKE KAP AS A QB , BUT ALMOST 1000 UNARMED DIED IN 2016 BY COPS , BUT HEY KAP STOP CARING ANDTHROW TOUCHDOWNS MONKEY , SO I CAN GET BACK TOO MY BEER
    Feb 12, 2017 at 10:22 AM
  • pantherman
    move on from Kaepernik he never will be the quarterback the Niners need and his political crap is a unwanted distraction
    Feb 12, 2017 at 7:33 AM
  • Drifter
    What kap deserves is boot right in the butt as he slithers out of the door.He is a snake and a traider to our country.
    Feb 11, 2017 at 6:25 AM
  • Randall Berry
    Kaps' game tape already shows what he is. Unless bending to "political" pressure, any reasonable evaluator would reach the "right" decision. Let's help Colin AND the team by moving on. Please.
    Feb 11, 2017 at 4:36 AM
  • RishikeshA
    Thanks Anwar, Shanahan and Lynch are writing a new chapter. Do they want to start answering questions on non football topics. They will have to address why Kap wasn't developed under the past 3 coaches. They don't need it, he didn't produce enough and that is the bottom line.
    Feb 10, 2017 at 1:45 PM
  • Bones
    I haven't met a combat vet yet who said they didn't back Kaepernick's right to protest. That's how we differ from fascist Nazi Germany, who mandated patriotism...With that said, I don't believe Kap is the right QB for the 49ers. I could be wrong, and appreciate Lynch and Shanahan giving him a look..
    Feb 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM
  • Redwood City Bob
    Kaepernick is toxic. I was a lifelong 49er fan. No more. Kaepernick singlehandedly dragged the entire NFL down with his petulant disrespect for the flag and the country. Ratings are down. Ticket and merchandise sales are off. The owners and the league should ban him from the league and every ballpark where a game is being played. I might suggest paying him to leave but the heck with that. Kick him out, lock the door and bolt all the windows.
    Feb 10, 2017 at 6:59 AM
  • 49erBoom
    As many issues that the 49ers faced as a team. Whether we keep Colin or not is minor issue compared to that of our weak defense. Colin is more than capable of efficient execution of the offense under the right play caller. Defense defense defense.
    Feb 10, 2017 at 2:27 AM
  • Monsterniner
    Baalke: gone. Kelly: gone. Kaepernick: must go. If we a truly clean state we need to get rid of him. W
    Feb 9, 2017 at 6:04 PM
  • Walkgz
    I think Kap can be a great backup for cheap but I still think it's time too move on we have too much cap space too worry about a QB that is not accurate and throws the ball 99 mph short or overthrow
    Feb 9, 2017 at 5:27 PM
  • GM
    This title is click-bait and is not at all what either men said. Shanny makes it clear: "I need to go watch it on tape and Colin, like any other player, is someone I'm going to be watching a lot of tape on the next few weeks." I think you're conflating watching film and talking into "fair shot."
    Feb 9, 2017 at 5:15 PM
  • Jason
    Keeping Kaep would be a huge mistake. Clean house. They have a shot at regaining a fan base with new leadership. Don't blow it by reminding everyone of 2016. Kaep is just not worth it. Move on.
    Feb 9, 2017 at 5:10 PM

49ers-Cowboys: Kyle Shanahan brings up old rivalry to give players a spark

By Kirk Larrabee
Jan 16

Most of the players on the current San Francisco 49ers roster are too young to remember when their team had a heated and historic rivalry with the Dallas Cowboys, but 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan made sure they were aware of it before the two teams faced off in the Wild Card playoff round on Sunday. The 49ers and Cowboys met seven times in the postseason over the course of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, with one of those meetings (the 1981 NFC Championship Game) featuring the most memorable play in 49ers history (Dwight Clark's game-winning touchdown catch to help send the 49ers to their first Super Bowl). The rivalry peaked in the 90s, when the teams met in the NFC Championship game for three consecutive seasons, with the winner of each game going on to win the Super Bowl.

49ers' Deebo Samuel to Kyle Shanahan before TD run vs. Cowboys: 'Just give me the ball. I got you.'

Jan 16

Deebo Samuel has become a very confident player for the San Francisco 49ers. He is willing to do whatever it takes to get the football in his hands and make a play. Samuel is a wide receiver but lines up as a running back too. He led the 49ers with eight rushing touchdowns this season. Samuel had another rushing touchdown during Sunday's 23-17 playoff win against the Dallas Cowboys. That one was impressive, as it involved Samuel improvising on the play and turning back inside to get into the end zone. That wasn't how the play was drawn up, by the way. How did Deebo even find this hole? 😱

49ers' Kyle Shanahan on talented Cowboys: "It's very obvious why they're in this position"

By Adithya Peruvemba
Jan 12

After clinching a playoff berth against a star-studded Los Angeles Rams team in the final minutes of Sunday's thrilling 27-24 game, it seems like the Niners have a stronger opponent ahead of them: the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys had their best season, finishing 12-5 and making the playoffs as the third seed in the NFC with the help of a very talented roster and experienced coaching staff. 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan knows he'll have his hands full in this matchup. "I mean you can see why [the Cowboys] are in this position. I mean just offensively, defensively, special teams; I mean their numbers are you know off the charts on both sides in both phases; they've got very good talent they've got very good schemes." Shanahan has high praise for the always

Reminiscent of 49ers legend Roger Craig, Deebo Samuel likely to evolve his skill position

By Alan Gaines
Jan 21

Throughout its illustrious history, the beauty of the NFL is that it lives up to the oft-repeated cliche, "It is a copycat league." Seemingly without fail, either an innovative head coach or a uniquely talented player comes along and changes the way the game is played. Sometimes the perfect match happens when a franchise has both an otherworldly brilliant head coach and an uber gifted athlete. It appears that the San Francisco 49ers have found this magic mix for a second time. The first during their dynasty of the 80s, when innovative head coach Bill Walsh began using the "first of his kind" running back Roger Craig as a weapon in the passing game. Today, the combination of the ever-creative 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan is paired with the insanely talented wide receiver Deebo

More by Anwar Jamison