Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

Jed York says little to ease the minds of the Niner Faithful

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:24 PM8

"Nothing I'm going to say is going to be satisfactory," said San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York. That statement came out of his mouth three times during what has become an annual attempt to save face for three years running. The statement is not untrue. Nothing York said was satisfactory. He was grilled during his Monday morning press conference, at times awkwardly, on what makes him qualified to lead a hunt for a replacement general manager and head coach. So much of what he said, or at times refused to say, reassured everybody in the room of one thing. Nothing he was going to say would be satisfactory.

"I don't make football decisions," York said at one point during the press conference. Well, if he doesn't make football decisions, then why is he the man in charge of rebuilding this football team? Sure, he will be paired with chief strategy officer & executive vice president of football operations Paraag Marathe, who is a numbers guy and a darn good salary cap manager. He oversees the team's football analytics department and keeps the 49ers out of the salary cap trouble that has plagued them in the past. But does the fact that Marathe will be in the room with York during interviews set anyone's mind at ease?

"Ultimately, the decision will rest with me," York said of the hiring process. "I will look at people inside the building and continue to consult people outside of the building, folks that I trust, folks that are very well respected. But, our system and our structure is going to be a head coach and a general manager and ultimately that decision will rest with me."

It feels like York got really lucky once with the hiring of Jim Harbaugh and that he feels if he keeps trying over and over again, that luck will eventually strike again. He's missed twice in a row now. Even in baseball, you only get three strikes until you are out. Is that what it will take for York to stop overseeing the team and bring in a football mind that is better equipped to make these decisions?

We all know that York is not going to fire himself. He was somewhat asked that during the press conference, which goes to show the lack of respect the team CEO has earned over the years to be asked a question as ridiculous as that. York confirmed that Trent Baalke and Chip Kelly were dismissed for failing to reach certain performance standards and then asked why he is not held to the same standard.

"We are going to be judged on what we do and what we accomplish," York responded. "We haven't accomplished enough. I own this football team. You don't dismiss owners. I'm sorry that that's the facts and that's the case, but that's the fact. And, I'm going to do everything that I can to get this right."

Last week, our own analyst Aaron Erickson wrote a two-part piece about what was then the possible firing of Baalke. The first reviewed the reasons that he should be fired. The second was a case for keeping Baalke. Most of the reasoning within the latter article surrounded the opinion that the York family was not qualified to lead a hunt for a replacement and reviewed previous missteps while running the team.

RELATED Transcript: Jed York discusses firings, says you don't dismiss owners

"Due to the unseemly end of Harbaugh's tenure with the 49ers, and the apparently odd particulars of the two following coaching searches, the Yorks are seen as meddlesome and impatient owners, which is a horrible combination for how they project their own ability to provide the single most important trait of NFL ownership: stability," wrote Erickson.

"The Yorks' difficulty in identifying talented and capable leaders might not even be their biggest concern," continued Erickson. "Because they have been so quick to replace head coaches, and so consistent in leaking rumors to the national media, they are already seen as presiding over an unstable organization."

To start to rebuild this once proud franchise, York will eventually have to get past his own ego and realize that he can't just keep starting over and hope that at some point, he will strike gold again. "I've done it before," York said on Monday. "We've put together a team that has had three NFC Championship runs." Yes, you did. Then you blew up that team because of your own ego and inability to get along with the head coach that got you there.

In his defense, he did go on to say that those accomplishments were all in the past and that he can't live in that past. "I need to make sure that anything that I do is backed up by the results that are on the field," York continued.

While there are a number of reasons to believe that the 49ers could look like an attractive opportunity for some general manager or head coach, such as a bounty of draft picks and a ton of salary cap room to lure in potential free agents, team ownership is not one of them. The Yorks will have to hit a homerun this time around in order to change that perception. Nothing Jed York said on Monday was satisfactory so he better make sure his actions that follow are.

• No More
    Because York will be in charge of the selection of the new Gm the 49er Faithful are again doomed. York will again be apologizing for the poor performance at the end of the 2017 NFL season. Which is Jed York? Brilliant Owner - because of my poor track record, I am not qualified and therefore I will hire a consultant to help me interview and select the next 49er GM. Smart Owner - Humm maybe I need help selecting the next 49er Gm. Fool Owner- Inspite of my recent blunders, I am confident that I have what it takes to select lthe next great 49er Gm. I am sick and tired of York apologizing for how terrible the 49ers are and how the fans deserve better. There must also be a great, great number of sick 49er fans. NO MORE excuses and NO MORE apologizing from York.
    Jan 6, 2017 at 12:36 AM
  • Niner
    Then York is a total fool! If gase was done in by Baalke then he never should have let him stay gm because everyone knew he was part of the reason harbaugh left. To keep him at gm is sheer incompetence. I think it's bs to leak this as it clearly comes off as an attempt to take blame of York . Why make up the story about hitting a home run with tonsils only to throw balked under the bus now? If the yorks hire another bs D.C. To groom our next qb after 40 years I'm done with them
    Jan 3, 2017 at 12:19 PM
  • HS
    Here we go again - Jed York will screw this thing up again. WHY would you hire a head coach first and then a GM? How did hiring Mike Nolan as head coach before finding a GM work out for the 49ers in the past. (Nolan picked Alex Smith before Rogers) York is an idiot to think that senario would work. He says that compatibility between the head coach and GM is absolutely neccessary. The GM makes the football decisions so he should decide who he wants to work with as Head Coach. The coach the GM selects will be HIS choice so he has to make it work. How can you hire a head coach first and then tell the GM "oh by the way your head coach is Joe Blow". It just dosen't work that way and that's why York is an idiot. The new Head Coach should be able to put together his own coaching staff without interference from Yorky. How did insisting that Jim Tomsula as defensive cordinator work out? Well at very least we are finally rid of Baalke. Two down (not counting ownership) and one to go...#7 C.K.
    Jan 3, 2017 at 11:19 AM
  • Nick
    Great comment Niner, and excellent read David. With any luck Kap will be gone and the new GM will draft a QB or the best available at # 2. Every time I see Rodgers or A Smith play I cant help think yep we have Kap go niners!
    Jan 3, 2017 at 6:41 AM
  • Niner
    Haha owners don't get fired. 49er fans know they're screwed , justt look at their history. Ignorance is fixable but stupid is forever
    Jan 2, 2017 at 8:24 PM
  • NinerGM
    I completely agree with this article. Paraag needs to be either transitioned to another part of the building or moved to Youngstown. I sincerely believe he's the source of the leaks, but time will tell. Many thought Baalke was Mr. Leaky. We'll see. What seems to clear from the statements, Baalke and Kelly were NOT on the same page and that marriage was shotgun.
    Jan 2, 2017 at 6:18 PM
  • RishikeshA
    Thanks David, They hit the lottery in Harbaugh and threw it away. The truest statement he made was that you don't dismiss owners. Hiring Harbaugh was like a blind squirrel finding an acorn. This team will hire a GM with no experience and a coordinator with no head coaching experience. The good news for the Yorks is they can fire them too.
    Jan 2, 2017 at 3:30 PM
  • Elmo Deevers
    I wonder how much influence Trent had over Jed. I'm by no means saying Jed is not at fault for the demise of the team but if Trent was the cause of most of the problems and Jed finally had the nerve to cut ties, I see that as a positive.
    Jan 2, 2017 at 2:41 PM

Mohamed Sanu confident in 49ers quarterbacks, says Trey Lance has 'it factor'

Jul 22, 2021

The 21-year-old Trey Lance continues to earn praise from his teammates. The San Francisco 49ers rookie quarterback is preparing to enter his first NFL training camp and hopes to show off how his hard work in the past month has led to improvement. During the players' time off, several videos surfaced of Lance taking part in throwing sessions, taking what he learned from the offseason program to sharpen his skills. One of the players Lance threw to last month is teammate Mohamed Sanu. The two also worked out together in Southern California. The wide receiver hopes to make his

49ers LB Fred Warner says his goals remain set to the 'highest standard'

Jul 22, 2021

Fred Warner was overwhelmed by over 200 text messages and calls from friends and colleagues on Wednesday when news broke that the San Francisco 49ers were signing him to a massive five-year extension, making him the highest-paid linebacker in the NFL. The newfound riches won't change his attitude, though. Instead, Warner will continue working to earn the respect of his peers and do whatever he can to contribute to the team goal of winning a championship. "My goals and aspirations are always going to be set to the highest standard, higher than anybody else can put on me," Warner told reporters on Thursday. "And that holds true to the season, even before this contract was set and done. My (personal) goals and my goals for this team, they don't change. So that's what's exciting,

'I hope Trey is going after Jimmy's job': 49ers' George Kittle says Garoppolo thrives on competition

Jul 23, 2021

San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle spoke with Cam Inman of Bay Area News Group this week. In what was probably some prep-work for the likely-to-be top discussion topic once training camp kicks off next week, the All-Pro player was asked about the upcoming training camp quarterback battle ... which may or may not be an actual battle. Players may be tired of discussing Jimmy Garoppolo's job. It has been a big storyline the past two offseasons. Last year, the focus was around the 49ers possibly replacing their quarterback, who had just helped guide the team to a Super Bowl, with future Hall of Famer Tom

Fred Warner says Dee Ford looks great, expects pass rusher to give 49ers a 'huge advantage' in 2021

Jul 23, 2021

The San Francisco 49ers will get a boost from the return of pass rusher Nick Bosa this season. The third-year player missed most of last season after suffering a torn ACL during Week 2. The 49ers' pass rush may get another boost in 2021 with the potential return of veteran Dee Ford. According to Fred Warner, it sounds like things are trending in that direction. The star linebacker joined KNBR this morning and was asked for an update on Ford. "Yeah, Dee, he's great," Warner responded. "He looks great. He's back. I've seen him plenty, and he's been working his tail off. I know the type of player that he is, and the fact that he's back healthy is going to give us a huge advantage, so I'm really excited about seeing him back." Ford appeared in just one

More by David Bonilla