Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

49ers vs. Seahawks: The Consequences are Huge (For Me Anyway)

Jesse Dumas
Nov 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

With all due respect to the Arizona Cardinals, this is Round 1 of the NFC West Championship.

It certainly feels that way at least, especially in light of Arizona seemingly getting punished for actually daring to lead the division at the hands of the defending champs in Seattle. Carson Palmer maybe could have won that game on the road, he did last year despite throwing 4 picks, but asking your number two guy to go in there and get a win is rough. Drew Stanton is a decent quarterback, but "decent" doesn't really cut it in architecturally designed noise-reverberation domes of questionable officiating history.

So on a really short week, the Seahawks reward for administering that ass-whipping is a trip down the coast for another sizeable divisional match. The 49ers, for their part, ride the shakiest three-game-win-streak-in-the-history-of-ever into a home stand against their most hated rival and the most obvious validation-test they can possibly imagine. This is huge.

As a very interested fan, I cannot possibly begin to predict how this will go from a statistical standpoint. Beyond that I'm too emotionally involved. I can however, honestly imagine three of four possible scenarios playing out no matter how the X's and O's do.

All would affect me deeply. So let's go there.

Scenario 1: The "This Hurts, But There's Still Hope" Scenario

Tough, close, physical, and devastating. The Niners lose at home by being unable to establish a run-game, being inconsistent and error-prone in the passing game, and letting up a few too many big plays to Russell Wilson and getting gashed late by Marshawn Lynch when they need to force a punt. Kaepernick plays decently, but fails to connect on the one big play they need, further muddying the waters on what this kid's actually made of.

With this loss, I know it's really looking bad now, but at 7-5 and the suck-ass NFC South sending some hot garbage to the playoffs, I just want to believe there will still be a way. "The Niners will win out the rest of their games", "the Lions and Eagles will go in the tank", "Goodell will intervene and not allow a 6-10 team to make the playoffs, SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN".

Scenario 2: The " Oh, There Was a Reason it was So Hard to Beat Those Sucky Teams" Scenario

The Seahawks expose the 49ers for what they are; a great defensive team that's been dealt some key and nagging injuries, and an offense that cannot find any rhythm whatsoever against very average to below-average defenses. The missing pieces in the middle of the 49ers' defensive line and in the secondary work right into the strengths of the Seattle offense and San Francisco's inability to run the ball forces Kaepernick to throw more. Seattle gets more aggressive in blitzing a shaky San Francisco pocket and Kaepernick is forced into predictable mistakes.

It gets out of hand early in the 2nd half and Deion Sanders personally flies an airplane dragging a giant banner of Jim Harbaugh giving Jed York the finger at last year's Christmas party.

It's all coming apart now.

Still at 7-5, but with harder games ahead it's hard to envision anything good happening. My articles get more bizarre and rambling (like this one) and I start trying to create theories as to why Harbaugh will not only remain as coach, but end up owning the team somehow and contact me to help him run the PR department and pitch in my two cents on personnel decisions. A lot of drinking occurs.

Scenario 3: The "Close and Agonizing Necessary Home Win" Scenario – AKA My Hopeful Prediciton

Seattle's offensive struggles are legitimate and their lack of any real pass-catching threats allows Vic Fangio to push Darrell Bevel into a strategical corner.

Seattle has issues of their own on the offensive line, something Aldon Smith takes full advantage of. Yet, Lynch is still powerful enough and motivated enough to overcome the lack of talent they have up front. The 49ers give up some yards as they did in recent weeks but are able to nullify some pretty average wide-receivers and tight-ends, Fangio makes the Seahawks one-dimensional in the redzone and keeps them largely out of the endzone.

The 49ers use their "X Factor", get their 3 Pro-Bowl Wideouts on the field, their Pro-Bowl Tight End, Pro-Bowl Running Back, and take advantage of anyone not named Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Earl Thomas, or Cam Chancellor. Kaepernick makes the throws he has to and the Pro-Bowlers catch the throws when they have to. More than anything, they don't make the big mistakes, they muster 3 scores, and that's enough to win in this kind of slug fest.

At 8-4 and a hugely emotional win in the books, I'm all-in on the "this is the year" narrative playing out going forward. QUEST FOR SIIIIIIIIIIIIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I celebrate with a brandy/tryptophan megadose of Thanksgiving Awesome and hibernate accordingly.

Scenario 4: The "No Way in Hell Do I See This Happening" Scenario

The 49ers run wild on the Seahawks like they've ran wild on the 49ers up in Seattle.

29-3, 42-13, I just cannot see a way this could go down. Maybe the Seattle offense will totally suck and Aldon Smith will wreak havoc with his fresh and un-incarcerated legs. I'd love to see it, but I really have a hard time envisioning this being the game I can finally relax by quarter number three and let the buzz of that big-win feeling (amongst other things) set in. The Seahawks are still pretty damn good, I'm afraid. I'm more convinced of that than I am the 49ers being on their level, as much as I hate saying it.

I hope I'm totally wrong on this, but I just get the feeling that if they are going to win this weekend, which is obviously so crucial to my and all of our lives, it's going to be 3 hours plus of absolute Pete Carroll-Hating hell.

Can't wait.

• Joe C
    Fun article. Lots of great analysis, and one major problem- you greatly underestimate the Cardinals like so many others. Their second string QB performed better than Kap did against the Seahawks IN SEATTLE. I was cheering for the niners today- Seahawks can crash and burn but dang Wilson kept it together.
    Nov 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • STLNinerFan
    Here's hoping for #4. Man that would be great to be able to relax that early into the game on thxgiving. I think that would really be a huge momentum push into the later part of the season. But......we likely get scenario #1.....
    Nov 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • Jesse702
    Great read, loved it. As I get ready for bed, waiting to get up and start the food festivities, I am more looking forward to this game as I have been all year. I'm already stressing out about it! WE CAN DO THIS!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    Response: Together, we can.
  • Jordan
    One of the most entertaining articles I have read in a while, with factual scenarios. That was awesome man!! Hoping for scenario 4!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    Response: Me too dude, me too.
  • coastaldave
    The stadium is not to our advantage because it will be full of a bunch of corporate weenies and not die-hard Niner fans. We can't afford to go to the games Jed. So, the techies will be there, texting their grandparents in Nebraska, and walking around the concourse during the beginning of the second half. Whatever the outcome, the Seahawks will walk away thinking what a great stadium this is to play in… Just like Pac Bell in its inaugural year, all the beautiful people showed up. Next year the Niner fans will make their presents felt. Go Niners; 20-17 Niners!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Response: I think it'll be noisy today, if not then it may never be
  • Monsterniner
    The Niners are 3-2 against winning teams this season so I´m sure that they are gonna play hard and make this game close. I think that both teams have exactly the same possibilities and that sucks for us because we are at home.
    Nov 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    Response: Agreed. Levi's doesn't seem to be much of a home-field advantage just yet. Why doesn't everybody make their damn stadiums into acoustic nightmares nowadays?
  • Jerret
    Your writing is awesome. Never lets me down. Keep it up.
    Nov 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Response: Well I'm thankful for that!

49ers-Seahawks Week 13 matchup flexed out of Sunday Night Football

Nov 23

This news shouldn't come as much of a surprise. The NFL announced that it has flexed the Week 13 matchup between the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks at Lumen Field out of "Sunday Night Football." While the 49ers are getting hot and are 5-5, the Seahawks are an abysmal 3-7. So the game doesn't have as much appeal as the NFL once believed it might. More schedule changes: The NFL flexed #Chiefs-#Broncos to Sunday night in Week 13,

Could Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers face a second rebuild this off-season?

By Chris Beno
Nov 15

As the 2021 season reaches the halfway point, one thing is for sure: there is still a lot of football left. Even with the San Francisco 49ers sitting at 3-5, they still (thanks to an underperforming NFC) have a legitimate shot at getting to the playoffs this year. But it's not too early to start thinking about the future. If the season were to end now, head coach Kyle Shanahan would be coming off his fourth losing season in five years. The 49ers would also have over 30 players entering free agency, no first-round draft pick in 2022, and appear to be on the brink of a second rebuild under the current front office. Just for fun, let's begin thinking about what this off-season could look like for the 49ers. How this season wraps up will strongly determine the approach this

'This was never about this year': Rapoport says 49ers should not regret drafting Trey Lance over Mac Jones

Nov 15

Mac Jones is having an impressive rookie year. His New England Patriots have won four in a row and sit at 6-4. The rookie quarterback completed 82.6 percent of his passes and threw three touchdowns in a 45-7 rout of the Cleveland Browns over the weekend. Meanwhile, in Santa Clara, rookie Trey Lance, selected 12 spots ahead of Jones at No. 3 overall, hasn't received too many opportunities with the San Francisco 49ers. Of course, that was always the plan. Lance was drafted to eventually replace starter Jimmy Garoppolo, but use his rookie season to learn from the veteran quarterback and his coaches. Lance, after all, had limited experience at the collegiate level. Shanahan fell in love with Lance's potential. That's what made the 49ers trade to move up to select the

49ers place Mohamed Sanu and Tavon Wilson on IR, activate Tony Jefferson ahead of Rams game

Nov 15

The San Francisco 49ers have made the following roster moves ahead of tonight's Week 10 home game against the Los Angeles Rams. WR Mohamed Sanu and S Tavon Wilson have been placed on injured reserve S Tony Jefferson has been activated from the practice squad The 49ers already ruled Sanu and Wilson out for Week 10. Sanu is dealing with a knee injury while Wilson is dealing with a foot injury. Safety Jimmie Ward (quadricep) was listed as "questionable" for tonight's game. San Francisco enters tonight's game with a 3-5 record while Los Angeles is 7-2. Kickoff between the two teams is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. PT from Levi's Stadium. The Rams are currently favored by 3.5 points. The two teams will announce their inactive

More by Jesse Dumas