Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

49ers vs. Seahawks: The Consequences are Huge (For Me Anyway)

Jesse Dumas
Nov 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

With all due respect to the Arizona Cardinals, this is Round 1 of the NFC West Championship.

It certainly feels that way at least, especially in light of Arizona seemingly getting punished for actually daring to lead the division at the hands of the defending champs in Seattle. Carson Palmer maybe could have won that game on the road, he did last year despite throwing 4 picks, but asking your number two guy to go in there and get a win is rough. Drew Stanton is a decent quarterback, but "decent" doesn't really cut it in architecturally designed noise-reverberation domes of questionable officiating history.

So on a really short week, the Seahawks reward for administering that ass-whipping is a trip down the coast for another sizeable divisional match. The 49ers, for their part, ride the shakiest three-game-win-streak-in-the-history-of-ever into a home stand against their most hated rival and the most obvious validation-test they can possibly imagine. This is huge.

As a very interested fan, I cannot possibly begin to predict how this will go from a statistical standpoint. Beyond that I'm too emotionally involved. I can however, honestly imagine three of four possible scenarios playing out no matter how the X's and O's do.

All would affect me deeply. So let's go there.

Scenario 1: The "This Hurts, But There's Still Hope" Scenario

Tough, close, physical, and devastating. The Niners lose at home by being unable to establish a run-game, being inconsistent and error-prone in the passing game, and letting up a few too many big plays to Russell Wilson and getting gashed late by Marshawn Lynch when they need to force a punt. Kaepernick plays decently, but fails to connect on the one big play they need, further muddying the waters on what this kid's actually made of.

With this loss, I know it's really looking bad now, but at 7-5 and the suck-ass NFC South sending some hot garbage to the playoffs, I just want to believe there will still be a way. "The Niners will win out the rest of their games", "the Lions and Eagles will go in the tank", "Goodell will intervene and not allow a 6-10 team to make the playoffs, SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN".

Scenario 2: The " Oh, There Was a Reason it was So Hard to Beat Those Sucky Teams" Scenario

The Seahawks expose the 49ers for what they are; a great defensive team that's been dealt some key and nagging injuries, and an offense that cannot find any rhythm whatsoever against very average to below-average defenses. The missing pieces in the middle of the 49ers' defensive line and in the secondary work right into the strengths of the Seattle offense and San Francisco's inability to run the ball forces Kaepernick to throw more. Seattle gets more aggressive in blitzing a shaky San Francisco pocket and Kaepernick is forced into predictable mistakes.

It gets out of hand early in the 2nd half and Deion Sanders personally flies an airplane dragging a giant banner of Jim Harbaugh giving Jed York the finger at last year's Christmas party.

It's all coming apart now.

Still at 7-5, but with harder games ahead it's hard to envision anything good happening. My articles get more bizarre and rambling (like this one) and I start trying to create theories as to why Harbaugh will not only remain as coach, but end up owning the team somehow and contact me to help him run the PR department and pitch in my two cents on personnel decisions. A lot of drinking occurs.

Scenario 3: The "Close and Agonizing Necessary Home Win" Scenario – AKA My Hopeful Prediciton

Seattle's offensive struggles are legitimate and their lack of any real pass-catching threats allows Vic Fangio to push Darrell Bevel into a strategical corner.

Seattle has issues of their own on the offensive line, something Aldon Smith takes full advantage of. Yet, Lynch is still powerful enough and motivated enough to overcome the lack of talent they have up front. The 49ers give up some yards as they did in recent weeks but are able to nullify some pretty average wide-receivers and tight-ends, Fangio makes the Seahawks one-dimensional in the redzone and keeps them largely out of the endzone.

The 49ers use their "X Factor", get their 3 Pro-Bowl Wideouts on the field, their Pro-Bowl Tight End, Pro-Bowl Running Back, and take advantage of anyone not named Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Earl Thomas, or Cam Chancellor. Kaepernick makes the throws he has to and the Pro-Bowlers catch the throws when they have to. More than anything, they don't make the big mistakes, they muster 3 scores, and that's enough to win in this kind of slug fest.

At 8-4 and a hugely emotional win in the books, I'm all-in on the "this is the year" narrative playing out going forward. QUEST FOR SIIIIIIIIIIIIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I celebrate with a brandy/tryptophan megadose of Thanksgiving Awesome and hibernate accordingly.

Scenario 4: The "No Way in Hell Do I See This Happening" Scenario

The 49ers run wild on the Seahawks like they've ran wild on the 49ers up in Seattle.

29-3, 42-13, I just cannot see a way this could go down. Maybe the Seattle offense will totally suck and Aldon Smith will wreak havoc with his fresh and un-incarcerated legs. I'd love to see it, but I really have a hard time envisioning this being the game I can finally relax by quarter number three and let the buzz of that big-win feeling (amongst other things) set in. The Seahawks are still pretty damn good, I'm afraid. I'm more convinced of that than I am the 49ers being on their level, as much as I hate saying it.

I hope I'm totally wrong on this, but I just get the feeling that if they are going to win this weekend, which is obviously so crucial to my and all of our lives, it's going to be 3 hours plus of absolute Pete Carroll-Hating hell.

Can't wait.

• Joe C
    Fun article. Lots of great analysis, and one major problem- you greatly underestimate the Cardinals like so many others. Their second string QB performed better than Kap did against the Seahawks IN SEATTLE. I was cheering for the niners today- Seahawks can crash and burn but dang Wilson kept it together.
    Nov 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • STLNinerFan
    Here's hoping for #4. Man that would be great to be able to relax that early into the game on thxgiving. I think that would really be a huge momentum push into the later part of the season. But......we likely get scenario #1.....
    Nov 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • Jesse702
    Great read, loved it. As I get ready for bed, waiting to get up and start the food festivities, I am more looking forward to this game as I have been all year. I'm already stressing out about it! WE CAN DO THIS!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    Response: Together, we can.
  • Jordan
    One of the most entertaining articles I have read in a while, with factual scenarios. That was awesome man!! Hoping for scenario 4!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    Response: Me too dude, me too.
  • coastaldave
    The stadium is not to our advantage because it will be full of a bunch of corporate weenies and not die-hard Niner fans. We can't afford to go to the games Jed. So, the techies will be there, texting their grandparents in Nebraska, and walking around the concourse during the beginning of the second half. Whatever the outcome, the Seahawks will walk away thinking what a great stadium this is to play in… Just like Pac Bell in its inaugural year, all the beautiful people showed up. Next year the Niner fans will make their presents felt. Go Niners; 20-17 Niners!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Response: I think it'll be noisy today, if not then it may never be
  • Monsterniner
    The Niners are 3-2 against winning teams this season so I´m sure that they are gonna play hard and make this game close. I think that both teams have exactly the same possibilities and that sucks for us because we are at home.
    Nov 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    Response: Agreed. Levi's doesn't seem to be much of a home-field advantage just yet. Why doesn't everybody make their damn stadiums into acoustic nightmares nowadays?
  • Jerret
    Your writing is awesome. Never lets me down. Keep it up.
    Nov 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Response: Well I'm thankful for that!

2022 Schedule Tracker: 49ers open at Bears, host Seahawks Week 2

May 12

The NFL will unveil the league's complete 272-game 2022 schedule on Thursday night at 5:00 p.m. PT. It is common for select week-to-week opponent matchups to leak before the official announcement. I've created this tracker to collect those leaks as the official schedule release time approaches. As usual, the San Francisco 49ers will meet each NFC West team twice. On May 4, the NFL revealed that the 49ers will travel to Mexico City on November 21 to face the Arizona Cardinals at Estadio Azteca—a Week 11 primetime matchup on ESPN's Monday Night Football. The 49ers will face the third-place teams in the NFC East, NFC North, and AFC East. The team is also slated to play the entire NFC South and AFC West. NFL Kickoff Weekend will begin on

49ers rank No. 5 in Dan Hanzus' post-draft power rankings

By Romelo Bracy
May 3

Around the NFL writer Dan Hanzus provided his updated power rankings after the 2022 NFL Draft. The San Francisco 49ers remained at the No.5 spot, with no movement post draft. Hanzus offered no comments on the 49ers draft selections but he did comment on the availability of All-Pro Deebo Samuel. Hanzus writes: "Meanwhile, the Niners don't seem at all eager to move superstar wide receiver Deebo Samuel, trade demand be damned. Kyle Shanahan said on Friday the 49ers have yet to receive an offer that was

The impact John Lynch believes Drake Jackson will have on the 49ers defense

May 3

The San Francisco 49ers' first selection of the 2022 NFL Draft didn't come until day two on Friday. Thanks to last year's trade package to move up to select quarterback Trey Lance, the team lacked a first-round pick. When the Niners' first selection came around, at No. 61 overall, the team again opted to bolster its defensive line, selecting former USC defensive end Drake Jackson. San Francisco has now used its first selection on a defensive lineman in six of the past eight drafts. The 49ers have focused a lot on keeping its defensive line well-stocked with talent, believing that making the pass rush a top priority will help every other position on defense. San Francisco added veteran pass rusher Dee Ford in 2019, just before drafting Nick Bosa,

Why Steve Smith Sr. is hoping for a 49ers-Rams NFL opener

May 3

The NFL will release the entire 2022 schedule on May 12. Three days earlier, the matchups and dates of select games will be revealed. One of those will likely be the NFL kickoff game—the first game that kicks off the 272-game slate of matchups. Typically, the reigning Super Bowl champions will host that first game of the season. That means some team will need to travel to SoFi Stadium to try to hand the Los Angeles Rams an 0-1 start. Steve Smith Sr. of NFL Media is hoping the visiting team is the San Francisco 49ers. It's certainly a possibility. However, the Rams are also scheduled to host the Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Las Vegas Raiders, and Seattle Seahawks. Why does

More by Jesse Dumas