Alert Follow us at @49erswz until Twitter fixes the issues with our official account.
Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

49ers vs. Seahawks: The Consequences are Huge (For Me Anyway)

Jesse Dumas
Nov 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

With all due respect to the Arizona Cardinals, this is Round 1 of the NFC West Championship.

It certainly feels that way at least, especially in light of Arizona seemingly getting punished for actually daring to lead the division at the hands of the defending champs in Seattle. Carson Palmer maybe could have won that game on the road, he did last year despite throwing 4 picks, but asking your number two guy to go in there and get a win is rough. Drew Stanton is a decent quarterback, but "decent" doesn't really cut it in architecturally designed noise-reverberation domes of questionable officiating history.

So on a really short week, the Seahawks reward for administering that ass-whipping is a trip down the coast for another sizeable divisional match. The 49ers, for their part, ride the shakiest three-game-win-streak-in-the-history-of-ever into a home stand against their most hated rival and the most obvious validation-test they can possibly imagine. This is huge.

As a very interested fan, I cannot possibly begin to predict how this will go from a statistical standpoint. Beyond that I'm too emotionally involved. I can however, honestly imagine three of four possible scenarios playing out no matter how the X's and O's do.

All would affect me deeply. So let's go there.

Scenario 1: The "This Hurts, But There's Still Hope" Scenario

Tough, close, physical, and devastating. The Niners lose at home by being unable to establish a run-game, being inconsistent and error-prone in the passing game, and letting up a few too many big plays to Russell Wilson and getting gashed late by Marshawn Lynch when they need to force a punt. Kaepernick plays decently, but fails to connect on the one big play they need, further muddying the waters on what this kid's actually made of.

With this loss, I know it's really looking bad now, but at 7-5 and the suck-ass NFC South sending some hot garbage to the playoffs, I just want to believe there will still be a way. "The Niners will win out the rest of their games", "the Lions and Eagles will go in the tank", "Goodell will intervene and not allow a 6-10 team to make the playoffs, SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN".

Scenario 2: The " Oh, There Was a Reason it was So Hard to Beat Those Sucky Teams" Scenario

The Seahawks expose the 49ers for what they are; a great defensive team that's been dealt some key and nagging injuries, and an offense that cannot find any rhythm whatsoever against very average to below-average defenses. The missing pieces in the middle of the 49ers' defensive line and in the secondary work right into the strengths of the Seattle offense and San Francisco's inability to run the ball forces Kaepernick to throw more. Seattle gets more aggressive in blitzing a shaky San Francisco pocket and Kaepernick is forced into predictable mistakes.

It gets out of hand early in the 2nd half and Deion Sanders personally flies an airplane dragging a giant banner of Jim Harbaugh giving Jed York the finger at last year's Christmas party.

It's all coming apart now.

Still at 7-5, but with harder games ahead it's hard to envision anything good happening. My articles get more bizarre and rambling (like this one) and I start trying to create theories as to why Harbaugh will not only remain as coach, but end up owning the team somehow and contact me to help him run the PR department and pitch in my two cents on personnel decisions. A lot of drinking occurs.

Scenario 3: The "Close and Agonizing Necessary Home Win" Scenario – AKA My Hopeful Prediciton

Seattle's offensive struggles are legitimate and their lack of any real pass-catching threats allows Vic Fangio to push Darrell Bevel into a strategical corner.

Seattle has issues of their own on the offensive line, something Aldon Smith takes full advantage of. Yet, Lynch is still powerful enough and motivated enough to overcome the lack of talent they have up front. The 49ers give up some yards as they did in recent weeks but are able to nullify some pretty average wide-receivers and tight-ends, Fangio makes the Seahawks one-dimensional in the redzone and keeps them largely out of the endzone.

The 49ers use their "X Factor", get their 3 Pro-Bowl Wideouts on the field, their Pro-Bowl Tight End, Pro-Bowl Running Back, and take advantage of anyone not named Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Earl Thomas, or Cam Chancellor. Kaepernick makes the throws he has to and the Pro-Bowlers catch the throws when they have to. More than anything, they don't make the big mistakes, they muster 3 scores, and that's enough to win in this kind of slug fest.

At 8-4 and a hugely emotional win in the books, I'm all-in on the "this is the year" narrative playing out going forward. QUEST FOR SIIIIIIIIIIIIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I celebrate with a brandy/tryptophan megadose of Thanksgiving Awesome and hibernate accordingly.

Scenario 4: The "No Way in Hell Do I See This Happening" Scenario

The 49ers run wild on the Seahawks like they've ran wild on the 49ers up in Seattle.

29-3, 42-13, I just cannot see a way this could go down. Maybe the Seattle offense will totally suck and Aldon Smith will wreak havoc with his fresh and un-incarcerated legs. I'd love to see it, but I really have a hard time envisioning this being the game I can finally relax by quarter number three and let the buzz of that big-win feeling (amongst other things) set in. The Seahawks are still pretty damn good, I'm afraid. I'm more convinced of that than I am the 49ers being on their level, as much as I hate saying it.

I hope I'm totally wrong on this, but I just get the feeling that if they are going to win this weekend, which is obviously so crucial to my and all of our lives, it's going to be 3 hours plus of absolute Pete Carroll-Hating hell.

Can't wait.

• Joe C
    Fun article. Lots of great analysis, and one major problem- you greatly underestimate the Cardinals like so many others. Their second string QB performed better than Kap did against the Seahawks IN SEATTLE. I was cheering for the niners today- Seahawks can crash and burn but dang Wilson kept it together.
    Nov 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • STLNinerFan
    Here's hoping for #4. Man that would be great to be able to relax that early into the game on thxgiving. I think that would really be a huge momentum push into the later part of the season. But......we likely get scenario #1.....
    Nov 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • Jesse702
    Great read, loved it. As I get ready for bed, waiting to get up and start the food festivities, I am more looking forward to this game as I have been all year. I'm already stressing out about it! WE CAN DO THIS!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    Response: Together, we can.
  • Jordan
    One of the most entertaining articles I have read in a while, with factual scenarios. That was awesome man!! Hoping for scenario 4!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    Response: Me too dude, me too.
  • coastaldave
    The stadium is not to our advantage because it will be full of a bunch of corporate weenies and not die-hard Niner fans. We can't afford to go to the games Jed. So, the techies will be there, texting their grandparents in Nebraska, and walking around the concourse during the beginning of the second half. Whatever the outcome, the Seahawks will walk away thinking what a great stadium this is to play in… Just like Pac Bell in its inaugural year, all the beautiful people showed up. Next year the Niner fans will make their presents felt. Go Niners; 20-17 Niners!
    Nov 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    Response: I think it'll be noisy today, if not then it may never be
  • Monsterniner
    The Niners are 3-2 against winning teams this season so I´m sure that they are gonna play hard and make this game close. I think that both teams have exactly the same possibilities and that sucks for us because we are at home.
    Nov 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    Response: Agreed. Levi's doesn't seem to be much of a home-field advantage just yet. Why doesn't everybody make their damn stadiums into acoustic nightmares nowadays?
  • Jerret
    Your writing is awesome. Never lets me down. Keep it up.
    Nov 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Response: Well I'm thankful for that!

49ers Will Slay Seahawks, Again

By Gilbert Brink
Oct 26, 2020

The Seahawks just lost their first game of the season. One week from today, they'll have suffered their second loss as well. Russell Wilson cooked up 3 interceptions on Sunday Night Football and in doing so, the Seattle Seahawks were fully exposed. Many already knew it, but the Seahawks are fool's gold. In today's NFL, fans and media alike become deeply infatuated with any QB who can scramble and push the ball down the field successfully. The league has designed the rules of the game to bolster offensive output. This can be seen every Sunday, as mediocre QBs put up numbers that eclipse the legends of yesteryear on a regular basis. No one has played the QB position better than Wilson has in 2020, but football isn't a game about the dominance of one single athlete. The

Brink's Best Bets: 49ers at Seahawks and All NFL Week 8 Predictions

By Gilbert Brink
Oct 28, 2020

Nearing the halfway point of the NFL season, I got back on track in Week 7. The league is taking shape, and the 49ers are in the thick of an NFC West race. Up to this point, no game has been this big for the 49ers in this 2020 season. Let's get to the picks. Season Record: 60-45 49ers Picks Record: 3-4 Best & Worst Picks of Week 7 My Best Pick: Cardinals 38 - Seahawks 34 Final Score: Cardinals 37 - Seahawks 34 My Worst Pick: Bears 19 - Rams 17 Final Score: Rams 24 - Bears 10 Week 8 Picks Atlanta Falcons at Carolina Panthers (-2.5) - Panthers get an easy home win vs. a bad

San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks odds and pick - Week 8, 2020

By Winston Chung
Oct 28, 2020

The San Francisco 49ers absolutely curb-stomped the New England Patriots in Foxboro to the tune of 33-6, handing Bill Belichick's squad its third straight loss and Belichick's largest home loss ever and second worst overall loss during his tenure. Now, San Francisco will stay on the road to face the division rival Seattle Seahawks, who will be coming off of their first loss of the 2020 season. Here we discuss the odds and analysis from a betting perspective. When: Sunday November 1st, 2020 at 1:25 pm PST (FOX) Where: CenturyLink Field, Seattle, Washington Line: 49ers +3, o/u 54 Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson threw three interceptions and the Seattle Seahawks squandered a

More by Jesse Dumas