San Francisco 49ers Post-Preseason Open Thread

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Now that the preseason is officially behind us let's get ready for the 2014 season. We'll use this open thread for a discussion of the team as cut-down day approaches. Any and all football related questions are fair game.

A few questions to kick it off:

Which rookie(s) are you most excited to see in the regular season?

Which bubble players make the roster?

Can this team win a game if Blaine Gabbert has to start?

Bring it on! Let's chat 49ers football.

Update - 1:00 Roger Goodell has suspended Aldon Smith for the first 9 weeks.

Now that Smith's suspension has been handed down I thought I would link to a piece I wrote last season about the performance of the defense in his absence. Here you go:

How do you think the team will do during Smith's absence?

Update - 3:34 Tom Pelissero of USA Today is reporting that the 49ers have restructured Ray McDonald. This move will save them more money against the cap. They were $9.8 million under at the start of the day.

Have been saying for a while that I think all this money they are saving by redoing contracts may be earmarked for a Crabtree extension.

• Mando
    Not worries about our offense. Our defense can be expose. Do you think we will create as much pressure on opposing qb without Aldon smith and Navarro bowman
    Aug 29, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Response: I do. There's a link above that shows a comparison to how the defense played in the first half of last season with and without Smith. The loss was negligible. Last year the team played 2 games without Smith and Patrick Will. They gave up a total of 14 points combined in those games.
  • JaxinSac
    What kind of suspension is forecasted for Culliver, seeing as though his hit and run and threatening someone with brass knuckles is likely a worse violation of the conduct policy than a DUI?
    Aug 29, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    Response: Nothing will come of that until it has completed it's way through the court system.
  • east coast niner fan
    If Lemonier steps up and plays big could he take Aldons spot on the depth chart for good.
    Aug 29, 2014 at 2:15 PM
  • Adusoron
    Jack, I never got your opinion on the recent report that the 49ers and Crabtree were making progress on an extension. It's been quiet since then and the regular season is fast approaching. Do you think SF will extend him? I used to think there was almost no chance, but now I'm wondering if there is a reasonable chance that it could happen.
    Aug 29, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    Response: I think Crabtree is their priority, and if he is willing to take a deal with a lower base and incentives to make up the difference it will get done.
  • robert vaca
    can we keep johnson and throw gabbert out? james wasnt lookin good at all on returns he was taking too many chances not calling the fair catch and then getting popped.. whats up with our first team offense ... were not clicking as good as we should be.... and in your opinion who is a better receiver kingcrab or boldin?
    Aug 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    Response: Crabtree. He's a top 10 WR in the NFL. The offense will be fine once they start trying to win games. They played a total of 6 series in the preseason. Don't put too much emphasis on that going forward.
  • Adusoron
    It's cool you get to do the chat feature, Jack. Quick question: which WRs do you think make the roster, particularly considering Lloyd and Osgood's strengths and status as vested veterans? I'm curious in particular whether you think Lloyd does/doesn't make it and why.
    Aug 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Response: Thank you. I think Lloyd will eventually be on the roster, but that's probably because I just think he's better than Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lloyd off the roster on cut-down day though because they can't use the short term IR designation until Tuesday I believe. Osgood could get squeezed out by Alfonso Smith.
  • overthemiddle
    Games that I am really looking forward to are the Eagles game and the two Seahawks game. I see the Niners having more problems with the Eagles then I do the Hawks. Reason - Kelly's team are going to put up lots of points. Going to be interesting to see Carrol, Harbaugh, Kelly, all play each other this year. The Kansas game brings intrigue with Alex coming back to the Bay Area.
    Aug 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    Response: Kelly's offense gave Fangio fits in 2010.
  • Razoreater
    Hyde/Ellington Acker/BSki Absolutely Does James make this roster?
    Aug 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    Response: Hyde and Ellington are full of potential so I agree with you there for the offense. How about on the defensive side? Gabbert has been rough, but Harbaugh has a history of winning with less than stellar play from the QB.
  • EZ
    I looking forward to seeing what hyde and Ellington bring to the table on offense. Can hyde steal carries from Gore? Do you think Ellington will take over full time return duties? Ward and Borland have been making plays during pre - season. ..hoping to see those guys keep doing it during the real games. Will Johnson be the backup qb with gabbert hurting?
    Aug 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    Response: I think if we take a look at what they did with Hunter in 2011 we'll have a good idea of how many carries Hyde will get. Ellington sure looks more explosive in that role, but my guess is James will have to play poorly to lose it.
  • Al
    What kind of record will the Niners post this season? Looking at their schedule, it's going to be tough for them to get to 10 wins in my opinion.
    Aug 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    Response: Who do you see them losing to?

49ers open as 4-point favorites in Week 3 matchup vs. Giants

Sep 21, 2020

The San Francisco 49ers (1-1) rebounded from their Week 1 loss with a 31-13 rout of the home-team New York Jets on Sunday. The victory came at a high cost, however, as several players left the field with injuries — with at least one believed to be long-term. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo suffered a high-ankle sprain while defensive linemen Nick Bosa and Solomon Thomas, along with running backs Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman, sustained knee injuries. Bosa's injury is feared to be his ACL and will likely mean an end to his second NFL season. "It's heartbreaking," left tackle Trent Williams said after the game. "Nick is a cornerstone on this team,

49ers open as 6-point favorites in Week 4 matchup vs. Eagles

Sep 28, 2020

The San Francisco 49ers (2-1) escaped MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, with back-to-back victories but several injuries. Most of those came during a Week 2 matchup against the New York Jets. On Sunday, San Francisco beat the New York Giants 36-9. The Philadelphia Eagles still have not earned a win. They tied the also-winless Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday with a final score of 23-23. Doug Pederson and his squad will continue to look for their first win of the season when they travel to Levi's Stadium to play the 49ers. San Francisco opened the week as six-point favorites in the upcoming matchup, according to BetMGM. Nick Mullens started at quarterback against the Giants and, depending on Jimmy Garoppolo's status, could

49ers open practice window for Deebo Samuel, waive Kyle Nelson, place Mark Nzeocha on IR, announce other moves

6 hrs ago

The San Francisco 49ers have placed linebacker Mark Nzeocha on injured reserve, forcing him to miss at least the next three games. Nzeocha is dealing with a quad strain. The 49ers also officially opened the practice window for wide receiver Deebo Samuel. He has been recovering from the Jones fracture in his left foot that was suffered during a player-organized practice in June. "I know he's been chomping at the bit to get back," Shanahan said. "I know he's really made a lot of progress here in these last 14 days. I know he's pumped to practice. I know he's pumped to play." The 49ers will use Wednesday's through

More by Jack Hammer