Mercifully, the (Off-)Season of Insanity Ends

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I mean, seriously. You'd think that the Niners, after their third straight gut-wrenching playoff defeat, would do us the courtesy of taking the offseason, you know, off. Stopping the madness, and thereby stopping our collective face-palming. But no—the offseason turned out to be as crazily dramatic as anything they've done on the field. Purely for the sake of preserving the record, I hereby present this timeline of events. This is what happened, or at least it's how I remember it....

In February, the Niners came this close to trading superstar coach Jim Harbaugh to the Browns, in exchange for draft picks. "I love Jim Harbaugh," general manager Trent Baalke said, "but I love my mom too, and you can bet I'd trade her for a first and a third." Harbaugh, though, averted the deal. "I myself was on the fence," he said, "but when I asked my wife how she'd feel about giving up the Atherton estate and moving to Cleveland, she just glared at me and finally said, 'Who would still be married to you? NOOOOBODY!' So that was that, essentially."

"Now if you'll excuse me," Harbaugh continued, "I'm going to have a push-up contest with Andy Reid. At least I think it's Andy Reid."

In March, cornerback Chris Culliver was arrested for hitting a bicyclist with his car, threatening a witness with brass knuckles, and then hitting the witness's car. "I hope this sets the record straight," Culliver said. "I am not a homophobe. I'm an equal-opportunity asshole. I'm an asshole to people of all kinds, equally." When reached for comment, Baalke added, "I see this as progress. The 49ers are committed to equality."

In April, quarterback Colin Kaepernick was investigated for his connection to a possible sexual assault at a Miami apartment. According to a 911 call, apparently placed by ex-Niner Ricardo Lockette, a naked woman was refusing to get out of Kaepernick's bed, proving once more that athletes are different from you and me. Whereas most of us spend the bulk of our lives trying to get naked women into a bed, athletes need to call the cops, just to get naked women out.

Ultimately, though, no charges were brought. In a wholly unrelated story, the Niners signed Kaepernick to a contract extension with a potential value of $126 million. Kaepernick celebrated by getting a tattoo illustrating that "money is the root of all evil." When reached for comment, Jed York said he wished that Kaepernick had gotten the tattoo before he signed. "If he'd like to give some of that money back," York continued, "my folks and I could always use a tad more evil."

Also in April, linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested for literally the trillionth time, getting pushy with TSA agents at LAX before finally suggesting that he had a bomb. "I'm not sure why he got so pissed off," an agent on the scene reported. "He was selected for a secondary screening, a totally random selection that had nothing to do with the fact that he's a black man roughly the size of your average Yeti." Once again, no charges were brought, leading Baalke to say, "Well that's a relief. To be honest, though, if you can't mess with a TSA agent, who on earth are you supposed to mess with?" Seeing Baalke's point, the California legislature promptly enacted "Aldon's Law," legalizing messing with TSA agents.

In May, during the draft, Baalke acquired wide receiver Stevie Johnson, giving the Niners an elite receiving corps for the first time since the halcyon days of Rice and Owens. Naturally, no one was happier than Kaepernick. "Stevie's obviously an exceptional talent," he said. "I can't wait to see him running wide open downfield during the playoffs while I'm forcing the ball to Michael Crabtree in triple-coverage. That'll be incredible."

Of course, the Niners also selected this year's draft class. Afterward, Baalke said he was disappointed, as he failed to achieve his goal of obtaining every pick in the fourth round. Still, the class was rated highly by the so-called "experts," who lauded Baalke as one of the very best in the business. "It's pretty gratifying," Baalke said. "I mean, my 2012 class was the worst in franchise history, and my '13 class gave us exactly one impact-rookie. Just imagine how great they'll think I am if some of these guys actually start to produce!"

In June, Vernon Davis, four years into a five-year deal, started a holdout. When he signed his contract, which was then the richest ever for an NFL tight-end, he assured us that he wasn't playing the game for money. Now, though, finding himself only the fourth-highest-paid tight-end in the league, he seemed to change his tune a bit: "I want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl, ... but I have to worry about my future first." (Unlike at least a few of the above, that quote's real.) Now keep in mind, even if Davis never plays another down, this contract alone guarantees him $23 million, which you'd think would be enough to secure any reasonable future. Also worth noting is that his holdout has already cost him $200,000, by itself a decent nest-egg. No matter. For Davis, "It's all about getting paid what you deserve. It's not that complicated." (Again, real. Unbelievable, but real.)

When reached for comment, Baalke responded, "See, this is why, if anyone deserves a raise, it's me. I'm the guy who's gotta listen to this shit!" Then, perhaps recognizing his breach of professional etiquette—that is to say, his brutal honesty—Baalke took a deep breath and added, "Vernon's a valued member of our team, and we'll be calling his agent soon." (To which Alex Boone replied, "Mine too, right?")

And finally, just this week, as this crazy offseason came to a close, Jed York let us into his pants.

He'd kept them buttoned up for more than a year, during which we'd often wondered, When will he display what he's hiding in there? When will he be confident enough? But now, at last, he unzipped and showed us the glory inside. And these are glorious pants indeed. Stylish, yet practical; not so roomy as to be unflattering, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable. These are pants designed for royalty—pants the Niners have long deserved.

Of course, they're also traveling pants. As great as they look, it's sad that the pants of the San Francisco 49ers were made in a suburb of San Jose. (No team imports its pants, or anything else, from a greater distance.) But after playing so long in soiled pants, these pants here will do just fine.

And most importantly, they'll do just fine with a Super Bowl ring—and that's what this is all about. All this offseason stuff is just noise, maddening as that noise might be. But now the season's about to start. A 20-year Quest is about to continue.

Mercifully, the noise is gone.

Finally, it's time to play.

• Ron m
    Where you been.....missed your points of view... Although I see you starting out of the gate a little vanilla. Give some good stuff like what if.....
    Jul 26, 2014 at 6:55 AM
  • Dallas Niner Fan
    Great article Jeff, Laughed my ass off. PS: Have you ever thought of doing stand-up?
    Jul 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    Response: I'm glad you liked the article, Dallas, but trust me: my "comedy," such as it is, is best left to the written word.
  • Dungaree Dude
    Wow, I'm face-palming myself after reading this.
    Jul 21, 2014 at 7:17 AM
  • Darrell G
    Much needed comic relief Jeff. Sometimes we can all take ourselves too seriously. Brilliant writing, as is your standard. Looking forward to more this season.
    Jul 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Response: Thanks Darrell, and everyone!
  • Lucky Phil
    Jeff, I have read your columns for many years. And I know you have a loyal group of fans that love and hate you. (Maybe more hate you than love you... I don't know.) But that's not important, what's important is they follow you. Like an Indian followed Gandhi. You have a strong following in the Niner community but not a signature move. It's all about the brand, you need to have a successful brand to sell yourself to the world. Which made me think about CK and his trademark of "Kaepernicking". Here's a guy that starts kissing his body parts and all of a sudden he is a Media Superstar. Jeff, why can't you start kissing your body parts? Ok, forget I asked that. Jeff, Why can't you trademark the art of "Face Palming", let's call it Kaplanicking! The last time I was sitting in the drive-through at In & Out the guy behind me was face-palming himself for 15 minutes. Two years ago I got pulled over going ninety while talking on my i-phone. When the cop pulled me over he asked "Did you know it's a $300 ticket for driving while on a cell phone?" I told him, "What cell phone? I'm face-palming myself!" Here's the thing, Jeff, you need to trademark this face-palming move. It's your signature statement!
    Jul 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    Response: Boy I've missed you, Phil. Here's to another great season together.
  • So good!
    Jeff, thanks for a great read! lololol
    Jul 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • Michael Taylor
    My god, that was effing hilarious Jeff. It's good to get a smile and laugh out of all the nonsense surrounding 'modern' sports.
    Jul 20, 2014 at 5:52 AM
  • Monsterniner
    Amazing read!! And yes, if our Niners start 3-0 all this madness will be forgotten forever. If they start 1-2, well.......
    Jul 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM
  • Steve Goods
    Jeff, I just wanted to say I was at the red ribbon cutting ceremony when Jed opened his "pants" to the public. Wow! What an amazing experience! It brought tears to my eyes, red and gold streamers falling from the sky while Jed stood before us with his junk in his hands. This is the home of the next Niner Dynasty!
    Jul 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • Lucky Phil
    Holy %$#^ this was good! You gotta warn a guy to take off his Walmart Pants and stretch a leg into the Depends when you write like this. When I got to the line "I'm going to have a push up contest with Andy Reid", I lost it ... And still kept on laughing! And then to unzip and show us the glory of Jed Cork .... That was pure genius! It's good to have the Kaplan Back! Hey, I hear they are looking for 49ers Writers, think Lucky Phil should give it a try?
    Jul 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    Response: You'd certainly get MY vote, Phil!
  • Terry B.
    Who the hell would post a stupid ass comment like Jessie Mendoza? Oh, I know. Someone lacking in basic reading-comprehension skills and utterly without a sense of humor.
    Jul 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM
  • Daniners
    First, please stop with the fake quotes. Next, the 2013 class had several impact rookies. On a team as loaded as the Niners, it is going to be relative to less talented teams. Lemonier had a huge impact and provided QB pressure when needed early in the season. As with most rookie wrs Patton showed flashes, but wasn't consistent. He did have a couple impact catches late in the season, in important games. It may be the same this year, relative impact, but that will not reflect the future impact of this draft class.
    Jul 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • Jessie Mendoza
    Who the hell would write a stupid ass story like this about Jim Harbaugh. I never heard or read anything like that!!!
    Jul 19, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Jerry Rice thinks 49ers QB C.J. Beathard's deep throw vs. Saints was laughably off-target

Nov 16, 2020

Can the San Francisco 49ers pass the football deep downfield? Are they capable of it? Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice wonders that. A lot of fans wonder that too. The team certainly doesn't take a lot of deep shots against opposing defenses. They took one on Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, though, and it did not go well. Wide receiver Richie James had Saints safety Marcus Williams beat deep. Niners quarterback C.J. Beathard, out of the shotgun, threw the football toward the open receiver. "Toward." As in, in the direction of but not on target. Beathard underthrew the football, and San Francisco, once again, missed out on a big opportunity. It was Beathard's only snap of the game. According to head coach Kyle

49ers safety Jaquiski Tartt will remain on IR, miss the rest of the season, says Shanahan

Nov 12, 2020

San Francisco 49ers safety Jaquiski Tartt suffered a turf toe injury during the team's Week 9 loss to the Green Bay Packers and landed on injured reserve this week. This season, an unlimited number of players can return from injured reserve. Each just has to sit out three games. Head coach Kyle Shanahan says Tartt won't be among those returning this season. "Jimmie Ward and Tartt, they've been a little bit in and out," Shanahan said on KNBR's Tolbert, Krueger & Brooks show. "Being able to get them back in there was helping. Then we had that bad injury to Tartt, to where he got his turf toe. Nothing he could do about it, and his season's over." Tartt started in all seven games in which he appeared this season and registered 28 tackles,

Kyle Shanahan discusses the ups and downs of the 49ers' injury-plagued season

Nov 13, 2020

"Injury-plagued" probably doesn't begin to describe what the San Francisco 49ers have gone through this season. Injury-ravaged? Snake-bitten? Cursed? Whatever you want to call it, head coach Kyle Shanahan knows it is unprecedented. Just look at the different sets of offensive weapons he's had available from week to week this season. It's a challenge to find consecutive games during which San Francisco has enjoyed consistency on the depth chart. That has made it difficult for the 49ers to maintain chemistry and build upon any momentum. "I thought we had that going a little bit at the Rams week into the New England week," Shanahan said on KNBR's Tolbert, Krueger & Brooks show. "That was about three weeks in a row where we got Deebo

All Articles by Jeff Kaplan