LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan

"Nick Bosa, Rashan Gary, a ridiculous 2019 NFL Draft class and one more year to watch them"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/osu/2017/11/nick_bosa_rashan_gary_nfl_draf.amp

"According to NFL beat writer Bob McGinn, at least one NFL decision-maker has told him that he believes Gary will "probably" be a top five pick in the 2019 NFL Draft should he elect to turn pro after his junior season.
Michigan DE Rashan Gary (6-5, 281) probably would be a top-5 pick in the 2019 draft if he declares after his junior season, according to an NFC personnel director. Gary had 5 sacks, 11 TFL, 7 QB hits, 1 FF and 62 tackles in 12 games as a sophomore in 2017."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/pffcollege/Bolt/NFL-evaluator-predicts-Rashan-Gary-will-be-top-5-pick-in-2019-112279448/Amp

"Penn State's Saquon Barkley, Michigan's Rashan Gary rank among NFL.com's top 10 college football players"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/penn-state/saquon-barkley-rashan-gary-nfl-com-top-50-college-football-players/amp

"Best I've ever seen," Brown said, per the Detroit News, when asked how good Gary can be. "Best I've ever seen combining speed, strength, change of direction, and the mental curve. He's unbelievable. The sky is the limit. The good thing is I think he understands that there's a lot on his shoulders."

The speed to which Brown referred was evident in the spring, when Michigan clocked Gary at a 4.57-second 40-yard dash, a remarkable time for a 6-foot-5, 287-pound lineman. Gary played extensively as a true freshman last year, making 27 tackles for a rock-solid Michigan defense. But with much of the team's defensive core from a season ago departed for the NFL, Gary is primed for a breakout season on a defense that will need him to do just that; hence, Brown's point that Gary has "a lot on his shoulders."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000816134/article/michigan-dc-rashan-gary-can-be-best-ive-ever-seen%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%253Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%253Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%253Dcollege-football&p.ct=CFB+24/7&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%2523ffffff&p.bgc1m=%2523000000&sr=amp

https://www.freep.com/videos/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2017/07/25/u-ms-mike-mccray-rashan-gary-freak-clowney-like/103996502/

Rashan Gary hands down... Start watching if you think this is Michigan bias, #1 recruit in the country couple of years ago.

Ain't nobody keeping up with this kid.. I have been saying since he came out of Paramus Catholic and alot of posters know this..

"He's a 300-pounder who moves like he's 230 pounds," Brugler said of Gary. "Extremely elusive, easy change of direction skills. He's really developed his pass rush moves too. He can leverage through blockers, he can work their outside shoulder. Michigan will line him up as an edge rusher, and he'll win the corner. He's that type of talent. But at that size he's a defensive tackle at the next level."
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 7:40 AM ]
Dear Mr. Shanahan,

I heard you like speed; "Alot" and I'm seeing with my own eyes, that is correct.

How do you like the combination of this speed attached to that weight?

"U-M's Mike McCray: Rashan Gary is a freak, Clowney-like"

Best of luck
Wu, loyal niner fan.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Dear Mr. Shanahan,

I heard you like speed; "Alot" and I'm seeing with my own eyes, that is correct.

Best of luck
Wu, loyal niner fan.

Nice! We should definitely flood his Twitter with Edge players in mind for next year.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Dear Mr. Shanahan,

Best of luck
Wu, loyal niner fan.

Nice! We should definitely flood his Twitter with Edge players in mind for next year.

[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 7:17 AM ]
He's not a edge guy. I think he's a dt at UM.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 29, 2018 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He's not a edge guy. I think he's a dt at UM.

At 281lbs with 4.5 speed you can make him out to whatever you want to be. 😂

You can't teach that size nor speed, that combination is factory made. That's freak material.

His primary position is Edge though, he will tell you that, going into his junior year.

This is his breakout year.. Watch out..

Michigan will have the #1 defense again this year, that's like 3 years in a row and with Shea Patterson eligibility at Qb, Instant National title contenders. All we needed was a Qb with that #1 defense.

"287-Pound Michigan Sophomore Rashan Gary Ran a 4.57 40-Yard Dash"
http://www.stack.com/a/287-pound-michigan-sophomore-rashan-gary-ran-a-4-57-40-yard-dash

"For a 6-foot-5, 287-pound defensive lineman, Gary is unbelievably athletic. At Michigan's recent "Spring Combine," he posted some startling numbers. Perhaps most impressive were his 4.57 40-Yard Dash and 6.70 L-Drill time."

"At the 2017 NFL Combine, only one defensive lineman ran better than a 4.57 40. That was Temple's Haason Reddick, who weighs 50 pounds less than Gary. His L-Drill time was even more absurd. It would've tied for seventh-best among all players at the 2017 NFL Combine. Guys pushing three bills aren't supposed to be that nimble."

He is a freak.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 4:21 PM ]
At 281lbs with 4.5 speed you can make him out to whatever you want to be. ????

You can't teach that size nor speed, that combination is factory made. That's freak material.

His primary position is Edge though, he will tell you that, going into his junior year.

This is his breakout year.. Watch out..

Michigan will have the #1 defense again this year, that's like 3 years in a row and with Shea Patterson eligibility at Qb, Instant National title contenders. All we needed was a Qb with that #1 defense.

"287-Pound Michigan Sophomore Rashan Gary Ran a 4.57 40-Yard Dash"
http://www.stack.com/a/287-pound-michigan-sophomore-rashan-gary-ran-a-4-57-40-yard-dash

"For a 6-foot-5, 287-pound defensive lineman, Gary is unbelievably athletic. At Michigan's recent "Spring Combine," he posted some startling numbers. Perhaps most impressive were his 4.57 40-Yard Dash and 6.70 L-Drill time."

"At the 2017 NFL Combine, only one defensive lineman ran better than a 4.57 40. That was Temple's Haason Reddick, who weighs 50 pounds less than Gary. His L-Drill time was even more absurd. It would've tied for seventh-best among all players at the 2017 NFL Combine. Guys pushing three bills aren't supposed to be that nimble."

He is a freak.

I'm sure he's a great athlete but that # won't hold. Those college combines are a joke. Not that he'll be around by our pick.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 29, 2018 at 4:52 PM ]
I'm sure he's a great athlete but that # won't hold. Those college combines are a joke. Not that he'll be around by our pick.

"The 3-4 alignment makes the Anchor more like the 5-tech from the Under era, where he'll have to gum up the works by standing up to TE/OT doubles but doesn't have to prevent that TE from going out.
The Sam picks up those TE duties, and can be a Jake Ryan-esque player (not that different from the Backer). However as we'll see, the Sam tends to get lifted often for a hybrid guy. Personnel-wise a base 50 call would probably see Winovich in for Hurst and perhaps Gary stealing some snaps at end. Against a heavy running team, maybe Furbush or some other heavier linebackery object will be in at Sam, with Peppers moved to safety or corner. But again, the way Brown uses his 50 formations the base is not actually what we'll see the most often.
Some of the typical gap assignments are different. The nose is more likely to get into the strongside A gap rather than the weakside one, which is now covered by the Will; the End has shifted into that backside B gap. In general it's a bit stronger formation for stopping outside runs, with a bit of weakness in the department of backside downhill runs. Unless you've got a rampant DL, an offense can do a lot of damage to a too-predictable one-gapping 3-4 with backside cuts, traps, and counters.
What's not different? The nose, despite lining up right over the center, is not two-gapping. Brown does have some two-gap stuff but he tends to do that out of every formation with the end; the Will then picks whatever side of the End's blocker that the End doesn't isn't in. So spiritually this 3-4 is still functioning like a 4-3, i.e. it's a gap defense, albeit one that does some very 3-4ish things like blow offensive players off the line at the snap instead of just blowing by them."

http://mgoblog.com/content/neck-sharpies-don-brown-defensive-glossary-3-4-edition

How does this apply to Don Browns defense? I thought Rashan Gary was an Edge Rusher? So he can play both inside and outside but your saying the nfl will use him inside?
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:18 PM ]
Sep 2, 2017; Arlington, TX, USA; Michigan Wolverines defensive end Rashan Gary pressures Florida Gators quarterback Malik Zaire in the second half at AT&T Stadium.
MATTHEW EMMONS, USA TODAY SPORTS

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/630204001

He wrecked havoc against Florida at the end position with Don Brown's defense then they switched him inside.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:22 PM ]
"The 3-4 alignment makes the Anchor more like the 5-tech from the Under era, where he'll have to gum up the works by standing up to TE/OT doubles but doesn't have to prevent that TE from going out.
The Sam picks up those TE duties, and can be a Jake Ryan-esque player (not that different from the Backer). However as we'll see, the Sam tends to get lifted often for a hybrid guy. Personnel-wise a base 50 call would probably see Winovich in for Hurst and perhaps Gary stealing some snaps at end. Against a heavy running team, maybe Furbush or some other heavier linebackery object will be in at Sam, with Peppers moved to safety or corner. But again, the way Brown uses his 50 formations the base is not actually what we'll see the most often.
Some of the typical gap assignments are different. The nose is more likely to get into the strongside A gap rather than the weakside one, which is now covered by the Will; the End has shifted into that backside B gap. In general it's a bit stronger formation for stopping outside runs, with a bit of weakness in the department of backside downhill runs. Unless you've got a rampant DL, an offense can do a lot of damage to a too-predictable one-gapping 3-4 with backside cuts, traps, and counters.
What's not different? The nose, despite lining up right over the center, is not two-gapping. Brown does have some two-gap stuff but he tends to do that out of every formation with the end; the Will then picks whatever side of the End's blocker that the End doesn't isn't in. So spiritually this 3-4 is still functioning like a 4-3, i.e. it's a gap defense, albeit one that does some very 3-4ish things like blow offensive players off the line at the snap instead of just blowing by them."

http://mgoblog.com/content/neck-sharpies-don-brown-defensive-glossary-3-4-edition

How does this apply to Don Browns defense? I thought Rashan Gary was an Edge Rusher? So he can play both inside and outside but your saying the nfl will use him inside?

In our d I'm guessing he'd be a strongside end who kicks inside in nickel. Solly's likely ending spot.

He did play more edge than I thought at UM though. I thought he was a dt. He's not they play him a lot outside.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:31 PM ]

I'm wondering how any of that applies to my post? In our d I'm guessing he'd be a strongside end who kicks inside in nickel. Solly's likely ending spot.

Because Don Brown uses him both in and out. Just getting a feel with a guy speed like his, will teams want him for dt not de? If speed matters at all to decide where to put him, or both but you explained. Thanks.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:33 PM ]

In our d I'm guessing he'd be a strongside end who kicks inside in nickel. Solly's likely ending spot.

He did play more edge than I thought at UM though. I thought he was a dt. He's not they play him a lot outside.

🤙🏽

"Michigan DE Rashan Gary forges identity as young leader on defensive line"

"ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Earlier this month, Don Brown heaped high praise on Michigan defensive end Rashan Gary.

"Best I've ever seen," said Brown, Michigan's second-year defensive coordinator. "Best I've ever seen in combining speed, strength, change of direction, and the mental curve. He's unbelievable."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-rashan-gary-leader-defensive-line/amp
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 29, 2018 at 5:43 PM ]

Inside or out, every down player. This is why he was #1 coming out of high school and this is why he will be considered one of the best if not the best coming out of college. After his junior year he will be top 5 in the nfl if not the #1 overall pick.

You can't go toe to toe with him and in college he is asserting himself. His motor is rare.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/gary-shows-off-elite-athleticism-in-off-season-drills/amp/

Lol you cannot teach a 287lbs to move that way, if you watch the video.. He isn't supposed to move like that.. His athleticism and strength combination is unmatched.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 30, 2018 at 5:15 AM ]
will be long gone by pick 32.
Originally posted by babarvaart:
will be long gone by pick 32.

Lol. Wishful thinking but in year two of the rebuild, we should be picking 9-15 in our 3rd draft. We still have a lot of holes and if some could be filled with surprise performances, hoping. We are a 7-9 win game team, we could afford to do so if players step up?

Why not start going for quality in year 3 of the rebuild?
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Apr 30, 2018 at 7:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone