There are 247 users in the forums

Leighton Vander Esch-LB-Boise State

Another LB worth keeping in mind. Outstanding instincts and awareness, regarded as a tremendous leader as well, Vander Esch was a huge star at Boise and has drawn some 1st round hype. In some ways he's kind of splitting the difference between Edmunds and Roquan Smith. Not as athletic, has the size at 6'4" and 245, tackling and football IQ are all at the highest level.

I'm trying to catch up on some more of his games but from what I've seen thus far, his motor is off the charts, just a very active, aggressive player that lives for contact. Doesn't have greatest athleticism but he's a thumper that seemingly never misses tackles and is always around the football.

Leighton Vander Esch, LB
School: Boise State | Conference: Mountain West
College Experience: rJr | Age: 21
Height / Weight: 6-4 / 240 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 2nd Round
NFL Comparison: K.J. Wright

I watched LVE's tape a few weeks ago. Good player. Dude hustles his ass off.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 29, 2018 at 9:06 PM ]
I see Boise St a bunch here, he seems solid. Good player and I agree with the write ups, hustle player. 1st round is a stretch. Top of 3rd would start looking good
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I see Boise St a bunch here, he seems solid. Good player and I agree with the write ups, hustle player. 1st round is a stretch. Top of 3rd would start looking good

Same, I watch alot of BSU and he's a really solid player that plays hard but athletically hes not in the same tier as a the others. I was shocked when I started seeing 1st and 2nd round talk I do like Jake Roh the TE and Cedric Wilson
If you have a great surrounding cast it sounds like he could work. Sounds like Chris Borland with a bigger build.
I'm watching some more of his tape right now. I like LVE. It's difficult to gauge his athleticism. Everyone looks like slugs after watching copious amounts of Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds tape.

I liked this play. Nice recognition. Knew the inside zone was coming. Good job of mirroring the back's path and working around the trash to make the tackle.

[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 13, 2018 at 10:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm watching some more of his tape right now. I like LVE. It's difficult to gauge his athleticism. Everyone looks like slugs after watching copious amounts of Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds tape.

I liked this play. Nice recognition. Knew the inside zone was coming. Good job of mirroring the back's path and working around the trash to make the tackle.

Looked like Chris Borland right there longer arms helped right there doe haha.
I really like this kid. He would be a perfect SAM OLB in this defense or even a LEO. Or both. Would absolutely love him in rd 2.
Very good football player. I think he is similar to T.J Watt who was a home-run pick for the Steelers

Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Very good football player. I think he is similar to T.J Watt who was a home-run pick for the Steelers

He's not an edge.
He'll be super popular in Canada esch?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
If you have a great surrounding cast it sounds like he could work. Sounds like Chris Borland with a bigger build.

Borland if he was bigger and didn't have T-Rex arms.
OVERVIEWVander Esch's family made headlines before the Las Vegas Bowl in December, and his play during the team's win over Oregon made the headlines afterwards. The Vander Esch's cruised from Idaho to Las Vegas in a big bus adorned with the Leighton's picture, number, and team colors. The 2017 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year paid off their trip with 12 tackles, three for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble. He was also the Mountain West Championship Game MVP with 16 tackles and a game-sealing interception. The first-team all-conference pick totaled 141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles in his junior season. Vander Esch was limited to six games due to injuries in 2016 (27 tackles, 3.5 for loss, one sack, one interception), and was a reserve for 12 games the previous year as a redshirt freshman (20 tackles, sack). He led Salmon River High in Idaho to state titles in football and basketball as a junior and senior.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Big, long and athletic. Has history of achievement with dominant performances and state titles in two sports in high school. Former basketball standout with fluid hips and smooth movement around the field. Almost no delay in his change of direction. Has agility and quick-twitch for sudden lateral bursts in his slides to close out slashers. Triggers with compact burst to the ball. Works under climbing blockers to stay clean. Easy sideline-to-sideline range as tackler. Has athletic ability to recover and tackle despite over pursuit. Widens frame and opens arms to welcome his prey as a tackler. Generally wraps up. Very talented in coverage. Quick but smooth in his drops. Mirrors quarterback's eyes with ability to redirect from side to side as he follows. Uses active, catch-ready hands to breakup the pass or take it away. Shows real rush talent and instincts as a blitzer. May have enough ability to beat a tackle as edge rusher from time to time.

WEAKNESSES Has just one year of starting experience. Still filling out his frame. Play strength has room for improvement. Has some struggles in taking on blocks and will get washed away by down blocks. Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate. Takes himself out of tackle opportunities by attacking iso-blocks and lead blocks with a shoulder. At times, will over pursue or run himself out of position in attempt to play fast and avoid having to deal with blockers.DRAFT

PROJECTION Rounds 1-2

NFL COMPARISON Karlos Dansby (early version)

BOTTOM LINE Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 14, 2018 at 1:13 PM ]
I really like this kid. He would be a perfect SAM OLB in this defense or even a LEO. Or both. Would absolutely love him in rd 2.

huh?
Share 49ersWebzone