LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Kyle Lauletta-QB-Richmond

Wouldn't be shocked if he's a riser in the draft, could be that the 49ers even show interest as he has a lot of traits that work well in Shanahan's offense, namely a super quick release, patience in the pocket and athleticism to get outside of the pocket and throw on the run accurately. Watching him play and a lot of the writeups on him, he sounds like a guy that Kyle would be very interested in. His size and lack of a big arm will limit his ceiling but he has all the makings of a top notch NFL backup QB and a great fit in the WCO.

We can say this with confidence: Lauletta has NFL-starter level accuracy and ball placement. I would even argue it's NFL Top-16 level ball placement.
Lauletta has (and will continue to) receive Tony Romo and even Jimmy Garoppolo comps for his gorgeous mechanics and instantaneous release. Often, when evaluating quarterbacks, we conflate throwing mechanics and release time: bad throwing mechanics = slow release time. This is not always the case (see: Matthew Stafford, Phillip Rivers), but it's often the opposite that holds more truth. That is to say, a quarterback can throw with poor mechanics and still have a quick release time; but a quarterback that throws with good mechanics all but assures a snappy release.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/solak-senior-bowl-qb-charts-kyle-lauletta/

Lauletta is a quick-footed QB who can make things work from the pocket. His quick feet allow him to reset quickly and fire. He has good weight transfer, and his hips and upper body are usually in sync when throwing. His throwing motion is very efficient with little wasted movement.
Lauletta doesn't drop his eyes when the bodies come flying at him, and he's an accurate passer under pressure. Subtle footwork allows him to manipulate the pocket to elude rushers. Also, he can get outside the pocket and pick up yardage with his legs when he has to. He shows good touch and placement when throwing on the move

The ball is often out well before the receiver has even broken off his route. He throws with great anticipation, often seeing the window well before his target breaks open. He works the middle well and sees underneath linebackers in coverage, often throwing over them to fit the ball to his target. He also does a good job using his eyes to freeze safeties and linebackers to create open throwing windows. Lauletta's pre-snap recognition is evident as he makes checks at the line of scrimmage and reads the defensive coverage. He works through multiple progressions and doesn't stay riveted on one read. He's very good selling play-action, dropping his shoulder and selling the run.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2017/10/28/16552726/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-potential-senior-qb-riser-kyle-lauletta-ben-roethlisberger-replacement-nfl

Lauletta hasn't had a ton of stability on offense throughout his time at Richmond. Since 2014, Richmond has had a different offensive coordinator every single season. He's currently on his fourth offensive coordinator, Jeff Durden, who runs more of an up-tempo offense. His previous coordinators had a reputation for being more traditional with their offenses, more under center, 3-step and 5-step drops.

Wouldn't be surprised of Belichick and the Patriots come sniffing around as well, he seems like the type of QB to also catch their eye.

Kyle comes from a football family. Kyle's Dad, Joe, played quarterback for Navy in the 1980s. His father has had a big impact in what he's taught him about being a leader.
Yea i'm listening to Mel and Mcshay podcast now and they are saying he's gonna be rising up the charts 2nd rounder
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea i'm listening to Mel and Mcshay podcast now and they are saying he's gonna be rising up the charts 2nd rounder

I'd be shocked if he moved up that high. He doesn't have particularly good arm strength and will probably come in around 6'1" and 200 pounds. I could see him being a 4th or 5th rounder, but who knows, if he kills it at the Senior Bowl, all it takes is one team to fall in love.

I think in terms of his skillset and traits he is overall better suited to backup Garoppolo than Beathard is long term.

His throwing motion is a bit herky jerky but dat release
undrafted FA at best
Originally posted by valrod33:
undrafted FA at best

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/12/08/rsp-boiler-room-no-120-qb-kyle-lauletta-richmond-quiet-feet/

Waldman breaks down Lauletta's footwork with his usual in-depth analysis.

Came in bigger than expected. 6'2", 217 with decent sized hands.
He looks tiny, so that's a win for him as far as measurables go. I have started reading talk about him rising into the 2nd tier of quarterbacks with Mason Rudolph and the like. Will go too high for a #3 QB for the niners. Gimme Kincade
Good call on the 49ers having interest.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I'd be shocked if he moved up that high. He doesn't have particularly good arm strength and will probably come in around 6'1" and 200 pounds. I could see him being a 4th or 5th rounder, but who knows, if he kills it at the Senior Bowl, all it takes is one team to fall in love.

I think in terms of his skillset and traits he is overall better suited to backup Garoppolo than Beathard is long term.

Agreed with that last statement.
Playing under four different offensive coordinators in college would be considered a detriment for any quarterback, but Richmond's Kyle Lauletta didn't necessarily see it that way.

His adaptability is one of the reasons NFL scouts are taking a closer look at the 2017 CAA Football offensive player of the year at the 69th annual Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama (2:30 p.m. ET Saturday, NFL Network).

"But I've been blessed with so many great coaches," Lauletta said on a recent Senior Bowl radio show. "Any time you have to learn so many different systems, it's kind of a pain, but I think there's so many advantages to doing so. I've learned so many different perspectives and so many different offensive schemes. I think at this point, I don't know if there's a play that even the NFL could show me or anybody could really show me that I've seen or at least a variation of."

Confidence flows with Lauletta, who passed for more than 3,000 yards in each of the last three seasons at Richmond on the way to setting the school's all-time records for passing yards (10,465), touchdown passes (73) and total offensive yards (10,651).

The 6-foot-2 1/2, 217-pound Lauletta can throw effectively from the pocket or on the run. He recovered from a torn ACL suffered in the final regular-season game in 2016 to have a standout senior campaign.

Lauletta, who's been training in Florida under quarterback coach Adam Behrends at IMG Academy, will share the South team's snaps at the Senior Bowl with Virginia's Kurt Benkert, Troy's Brandon Silvers and Western Kentucky's Mike White. Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma and Josh Allen of Wyoming are two of the North quarterbacks.

"I love to be coached and there's so many people that have coached me hard and really pushed me, really helped me to be where I'm at right now," Lauletta said.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/richmond-s-lauletta-getting-nfl-look-at-senior-bowl-012418
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Came in bigger than expected. 6'2", 217 with decent sized hands.

He was listed as 6'3", 215.
Share 49ersWebzone