LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DE/OLB, Oklahoma

Best pass rusher in the draft. I don't care that he's not the "prototype." He's the prototype for what he does. He uses his lack of height to his advantage as far as leverage; when he decides he's bending that edge, there's nothing you can do.

He's inconsistent vs. the run - really strong when he's got his hands into you, but struggles to anchor when he doesn't.

Honestly, even if he's just a situational pass rusher, I'd take him after trading down. He can replace Elvis.
Along the same lines as Marquis Haynes from Ole Miss. Speedy, edge rusher who's great at rushing the passer, but not much else. Definitely needed in our system. Either one is a possibility.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Along the same lines as Marquis Haynes from Ole Miss. Speedy, edge rusher who's great at rushing the passer, but not much else. Definitely needed in our system. Either one is a possibility.

Funny thing is we got the base guys... Ill take a guy to groom for a 3 down elephant and a pure nickel speed rusher for 300 Alex.
T
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Funny thing is we got the base guys... Ill take a guy to groom for a 3 down elephant and a pure nickel speed rusher for 300 Alex.

Especially if we take Roquon Smith. Run D will be a force. I will take the speed rusher as well. The guys that can do both well you have to spend a high pick on. We just need someone that can get to the QB FAST.
He didn't play football until his sophomore year in high school, so it's possible he will learn to be more than just a pass rusher. Most of the mocks I've seen have him going around the third round, but that could change.
Yes please. He'll push Harold off the field with some time in the system.
[ Edited by strickac on Dec 31, 2017 at 10:13 AM ]
OU website lists him at 6'1" 240 lbs. Those are off-ball LB numbers in the NFL.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 31, 2017 at 10:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Who cares? Watch him play. He uses his size to his advantage, a la prime Elvis Dumervil.
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:

Who cares? Watch him play. He uses his size to his advantage, a la prime Elvis Dumervil.

He's definitely going to need to fill an OLB role where pass rushing is his primary duty. I think SAM is a great fit for him. He can be a situational rusher early on.

Unless he excels in coverage during workouts he's going to fall into the late 2-4 range. Harold is a liability and this guy could be a nice boost is speed and pass rush ability.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:

He's definitely going to need to fill an OLB role where pass rushing is his primary duty. I think SAM is a great fit for him. He can be a situational rusher early on.

Unless he excels in coverage during workouts he's going to fall into the late 2-4 range. Harold is a liability and this guy could be a nice boost is speed and pass rush ability.

Well yeah, he's a pure pass rusher. But he's an unbelievable one. If Gunther Cunningham was here, he'd be the second coming of Derrick Thomas.

He's being pretty disruptive in the Rose Bowl
This guy is quietly having a strong game.
This guy is an interesting player. I'm watching his game vs Ohio St. right now. Dude was a terror off the edge. He is pretty damn explosive and relentless. Love his hand usage--very active. I prefer shorter edge rushers for their leverage advantage, so the height doesn't really bother me. It's moreso the weight, but his pass-rushing style isn't reliant on power.

This is sick. Ogbonnia uses an outside jab step and head nod to stop the tackle's feet and subtle swipes to cross the tackle's face.

Wowsers. Ogbonnia tries the ice pick off the inside step; OT rides him out(I hate that move to the outside). But Ogbonnia refuses to lose, battles for the corner, and flattens to the QB.

This is a great example of how good hand timing and placement can beat length. Tackle had to horse collar Ogbon to the ground to prevent another sack.

Can work from the right or left side, two-point or three/four-point stance. Another spin move, another flag drawn. Dude wrecked this game.

The biggest issue I see is that he gets completely engulfed once a tackle gets hands on him. He struggles to disengage. If he doesn't win off his initial rush, he's SOL. Not sure how he projects at the NFL level. Maybe a situational pass rusher. His frame looks close to being maxed out, so I don't know how much bigger he can get.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 27, 2018 at 7:31 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the more I watch him the more I see ISREAL IFIANYI all over again...
No, the biggest issue is his POA run defense is awful. But that didn't stop Derrick Thomas.

He seems to only use the bull rush to set up his other rushes. Kind of like how Kyle is willing to lose yards on sweeps to set up the rest of his play calling.
Share 49ersWebzone