There are 152 users in the forums

What is your drafting philosophy?

What is your drafting philosophy?

I am curious as to what everyone's draft philosophy is in this draft. I am making it specific to 2018 because that can change based on the year and the talent that is available.

When I look at the 49ers, I see a team that is lacking in quality starters, quality players, depth, and elite prospects. Given the state of the team, I honestly hope ShanaLynch goes with option 2 for this year. For one, if you are doing what are supposed to do as a team, you will not have many opportunities to draft this high and land the elite prospects that are available. You will get guys like Reuben Foster that fall to 31, but you can't expect top-5 players to fall like that without a greater element of risk in taking that player. Also, we do have a few solid to good players on the team. They would look better with another lite prospect next to them so defenses cannot focus on them. Some on the draft boards have wanted Quenton Nelson, Saquon Barkely, Roquon Smith, Calvin Ridley, etc. I think if we walk away with the no. 2 or 3 overall pick, we have potentially for landing two of those players. Add in other quality day 1 starters that we can add in round 2 and we may finally be working with something. Some of our current guys will be pushed down lower to give us depth, which we are sorely lacking. But the reality is, depth can be added in any year.

I'd rather get 22 solid, good, or great starters and then we can focus on backups. As it stands right now, I'm thinking we have 10 picks. With one trade down or two within the top-10, you can have one of your draft crushes, minus Barkley. With the picks we are sure to haul in, there is the option of trading back up to pick another one of the first round draft crushes. Normally people only do this for QBs, but when you think about adding a guy like Smith next to Foster, or putting Harold Landry on our D-line, or snagging, etc, it really does change the face of our defense (or offense if you choose a top offensive player). Then picks can be packaged to moved back into the 2nd for those 1st round talents that fell for whatever reason. 10 draft picks are nice, but 5 or 6 really good ones would be great and we likely will have acquired some picks for 2019.
Small trade down in the first to get extra day 2 picks and stick to the board.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
If 49ers have a top 3 pick get a QB needy team to trade the farm for it.
I agree, but Foster's availability was based on medical reports of his shoulder and most teams thought another season ending surgery was necessary. So even if we trade down twice, I dont think we have a shot of getting two unless Ridley falls into the early 20's.

I want to see a trade down in the 1st to grab another 2nd in 2018 and another 2/3 in 2019, I believe Barkley is our ticket to making that happen!
As many draft crushes as possible, any way possible. That's how I mock

In honesty, this year, I'd hope to move down, stay top 10, and pick up an early 2nd. I'd be fine to move into the low teens, if we get like 2 2nds and a 3rd plus a pick next year
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Dec 8, 2017 at 8:56 AM ]
Whatever it takes to load up the OL to a silly degree. That is the biggest weak area on the roster right now.
Trade down big time
Let the draft fall into place. Depending on who is available and what value you can get, any of these strategies can be successful.
we have so many holes. need to keep loading up on young talent. I have faith in our FO to make the most of every pick and find steals in the later rounds
Spend money on offensive linemen in FA. Draft skill positions.

It takes too long for lineman to develop. For the most part, they are taught poor technique in college and will need 2-3 years to become serviceable. It's not the case for skill positions, which we also lack. WRs, CBs, SAM, and EDGE.

Backup the truck for a nice Center and Guard in FA. Then have Garnett come in and compete for the last guard spot with Tomlinson and Fusco. Even the best OLs in the league right now only have about 3 good linemen. We don't need an ELITE OL. Just something that is serviceable enough to protect our QB. This is kind of why I'm wary of spending a top 10 pick on a Guard.

Draft the best receiver available. I like Calvin Ridley. It depends on your board, but we could also use that LEO player here too. Chubb is a nice option, but it depends on how you rank them. The fanbase certainly isn't going to like going defense again in the top 10, but you could make a good argument that we need it. I'd still pick Ridley, but that is just me.

1st round
BPA, if you need to trade around to make a more need based pick that is fine

2nd round
These usually are solid contributors and CB, TE, WR and interior line seem to fall here but S seems increasingly popular

3rd round
The LBer and RB round, seems this is where teams are willing to roll the dice on red flag players

4th round
The money round where good scouting can net good scheme specific players

5th - 7th
Depth and H-W-S players

The obvious being said, my philosophy is to take players that fit within a long term framework and plan. Don't go to the grocery store hungry and start grabbing stuff. Plan your 5 meals, make a shopping list and go pick up what you need.
By "drafting philosophy" I imagine you mean this yrs draft for the 2017 49ers.

Need to see more of Garoppolo but as of now trading down is a no brainer. Then draft a DE that can play LEO with our 1st pick..
  • titan
  • Veteran
Trade down with our 1st and get 2 starting OL our of it.
I'm torn.
On one hand I think this team is missing a couple bonafide stars. Sprinkle in a couple and I think this team is very competitive even with the roster we have today. You can argue a true #1 WR and a true outside pass rusher like we had with Aldon Smith would work wonders for this team.

On the other hand we still lack talent in a number of key positions.

So with that said, if we are sitting there at 3 and a player is there we think is an All Pro then we need to take him. If we sit at 3 and a few players that we think are good or we think we can get the player we really want a few spots down then we should trade down.
Slow it down there's a 100 ways to cook the meal. Let's see what we can get in fa and we'll talk from there.
Share 49ersWebzone