LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick - CB/S, Alabama

I haven't seen a thread about this guy, but he could be in play with our first round pick, especially if Barkley is off the board. Fitzpatrick is probably the best defensive back in this draft class ahead of Derwin James (CBS has him as the #2 overall prospect right now). He can play CB or safety and we have needs at both (need to find a single high free safety since Ward can't stay healthy and isn't very good). Jeremiah recently compared him to a bigger, faster version of Tyrann Matheiu.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000857696/article/minkah-fitzpatrick-could-be-bigger-version-of-tyrann-mathieu

It sounds like he has no red flags off the field and is one of the hardest workers Alabama has had. His teammate, Damien Harris had this to say about him:

"I thought Derrick Henry (who won the Heisman Trophy at Alabama in 2015) was one of the hardest workers I've ever seen," Harris says. "And he is, but then I watched Minkah. To me, Minkah is the standard of this program."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741651-alabamas-minkah-fitzpatrick-has-nick-sabans-mind-in-an-nfl-stars-body

He's good but i think San Francisco has to start investing in early round talent on offence.
For a highlight I saw 2 good plays. Both against USC pre Darnold. It's truly mind boggling how overrated this kid is.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
For a highlight I saw 2 good plays. Both against USC pre Darnold. It's truly mind boggling how overrated this kid is.

Judging someone based on a highlight video
Originally posted by Jcool:

Judging someone based on a highlight video

No I've watched as much film on him as I can he is not a 1st rounder. In a highlight video which is supposed to be his best plays I saw 2 good plays and some tackles.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Nov 2, 2017 at 7:20 PM ]
I wish college teams would give fans access to the all-22. It's very difficult to evaluate DBs from the TV camera shot.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I wish college teams would give fans access to the all-22. It's very difficult to evaluate DBs from the TV camera shot.

Agreed especially safety play.
There are 32 guys rated between 12 and 25 in this draft and 1 in the top 10

He showed pretty good ball skills and has elite speed (shows up on some of his interception returns). He's made a lot of plays on the ball in college (20 pass breakups and 9 interceptions so far in <3 years) and has 5 tackles for a loss already through 8 games this year. He's not a big safety (~6'1 205), but he's physical with the range and cover skills of a corner. As a prospect, he's up there with Jamal Adams (6th pick) and Malik Hooker and will be a first round pick.

Fitzpatrick had a bad game against Renfrow and Deshaun Watson as a true freshman, so a bunch of people seem to think he's overrated, but I'll trust Jeremiah and what I've seen from Fitzpatrick this year.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
He's good but i think San Francisco has to start investing in early round talent on offence.

As much as I want a dominant d, I agree. Kyle can't turn chicken s**t into chicken salad, he needs weapons for his offense to be consistent.

• kaynj
  • Veteran
I like this kid. I know his family they are from my home city. His grandfather and uncle both were my barber at one point. But i agree with the last poster we need offense and thats why the niners should invest in the best skill player on the board when they draft in the top 5 in the 2018 draft
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
He showed pretty good ball skills and has elite speed (shows up on some of his interception returns). He's made a lot of plays on the ball in college (20 pass breakups and 9 interceptions so far in

Daniel Jeremiah said "Justin Gilbert is head and shoulders above all other Cornerbacks"

He makes plays on crap throws caused by a great pass rush a NFL QB won't bail him out.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Nov 2, 2017 at 8:23 PM ]
No I've watched as much film on him as I can he is not a 1st rounder. In a highlight video which is supposed to be his best plays I saw 2 good plays and some tackles.

Wow that's crazy IMO. This kid will be a stud.
Rather go after Malcom Butler...
Originally posted by genus49:

Wow that's crazy IMO. This kid will be a stud.

I don't see it. Alabama CBs are always thought of as these can't miss prospects then they get to the pros and vanish. I'm not infatuated with a corner who's best plays are TFL. A player who's consistently out of position but a piss poor pass finds it's way to him.
Share 49ersWebzone