LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

So what do we do in the 2018 draft now we have Jimmy G?

So what do we do in the 2018 draft now we have Jimmy G?

• Buchy
  • Veteran
So I appreciate there's a draft forum but it's less visited and often more about specific players or position groups rather than strategy.

So I thought I'd throw it out to the floor that now we have Jimmy G (who I see being franchised as a worst case), what are people's preferences and expectations for the draft now. I think a lot of people may prefer we draft Barkley but expect a trade down for example.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that as good as Barkley looks to be, if we are investing in a QB who we think and hope will become a franchise QB then the best strategy is to protect that investment. If we had a solid Oline and we may rectify that in FA, then Barkley makes sense.

So throwing it to the floor, what would people prefer we do? Personally I am for addressing the Oline in FA and if confident in them drafting Barkley, but that means a bidding war in FA and I'm not up to speed on who will be available in FA and if they justify what it would take.

I think the number one priority now is to protect Jimmy G.
WR/Pass Rusher please. We can go OL in 2nd(OG) . Get a C in FA. Think you gotta go pass rusher cause Lawrence/Ansah probs stay put. FA WR class is solid.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 1, 2017 at 4:04 AM ]
Pick top qb and trade for top wr
Scot Mccloughan threw up some possibles.

ANYWHERE on the O-Line

OT Mike McGlinchey Notre Dame
OT Conner Williams Texas
OG Quenton Nelson Notre Dame
[ Edited by KeepRabbitsOut on Nov 1, 2017 at 6:52 AM ]
We've seen how an offensive line can make or break a young QB. Using Dallas as the template and loading up on the OL with top draft picks builds a solid foundation. It is also much cheaper than signing free agents that are more than likely to have seen their peak years pass early in the contract.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Scot McGloughan threw up some possibles.

ANYWHERE on the O-Line

OT Mike McGlinchey Notre Dame
OT Conner Williams Texas
OG Quenton Nelson Notre Dame

I'd like to get either of those two tackles plus Nelson. If we're going to be investing heavily in a QB we have to make sure he doesn't get killed.
High pick LT to transit from Staley. Get a G mid round.

Another LB, maybe a safety too
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 1, 2017 at 5:42 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
So I appreciate there's a draft forum but it's less visited and often more about specific players or position groups rather than strategy.

Draft forum has less traffic in season but greatly increases once the season concludes.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
We've seen how an offensive line can make or break a young QB. Using Dallas as the template and loading up on the OL with top draft picks builds a solid foundation. It is also much cheaper than signing free agents that are more than likely to have seen their peak years pass early in the contract.

This where I am, if we can't sort it out with some real quality in FA then we need to trade down and get Olinemen in the draft.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Buchy:

Draft forum has less traffic in season but greatly increases once the season concludes.

I see you moved it already.

This thread will be dead by then, I wanted a more general discussion on the ramifications of Jimmy G.

Edit: The thread also includes FA, would you feel better with it in the main forum if I had just said off-season?
[ Edited by Buchy on Nov 1, 2017 at 6:14 AM ]

I really like the potential OL in the draft this year.

Very hard to predict who makes that step up though, and O-Linesman especially often need time to develop.

Would like to pick up at least one quality FA and one top OL prospect in the first 2 rounds of the draft.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
High pick LT to transit from Staley. Get a G mid round.

Another LB, maybe a safety too

disagree on prioritizing a safety
If there's a Trent Williams caliber left tackle that tops the list but I wouldn't take a McGlinchey who projects more as a right tackle. Otherwise Barkley is fine or we could go safety with Fitzpatrick. Trade down should always be looked at if we're in the top 5.
I don't see a top tackle in the draft this year but some real quality G/C prospects.
I'm tirrrrrrred of having a crappy offense an then the defense has to be on the field the whole game.
Share 49ersWebzone