There are 221 users in the forums

Auden Tate - WR - Florida St.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone know anything about him? Been watching a few highlights on him, big receiver 6'5" 225, looks like Julio Jones 2.0. Seems to have good speed, I can't really say too much about his route running, but he seems to use his big body to box out defenders well. He's gonna be a Junior I think this upcoming season, if he has a good season I can see this guy declaring for the draft, would love to have him.

Great size/speed combo. Good potential to grow into. He missed his freshman year due to injury and started to click at the tail end of last year. Because Florida State lost so many other offensive weapons, he has a prime opportunity to flourish this year and put together a very productive season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Great size/speed combo. Good potential to grow into. He missed his freshman year due to injury and started to click at the tail end of last year. Because Florida State lost so many other offensive weapons, he has a prime opportunity to flourish this year and put together a very productive season.

It doesn't seem like Shanahan wants a Julio Jones type receiver (size and speed) with all these slot receiver like signings, but I'm hoping for Tate. I miss the days of Terrell Owens and how he use dominate just running through defenders, I would love to see that again with an offense like Shanahan's. Like I said, I don't know much about Tate and yes highlights don't tell the whole story, but from what I've seen he looks like a much better prospect than Mike Williams. If the 49ers are out of reach from Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Rudolph I would hope the Ridley or Tate (depending on how his season goes) is top 5 on their board.
I'm sure Kyle would love to have another Julio Jones type receiver, but the problem is those type of athletes are once in a generation. The number of 6'4", 225 lbs men that run 4.3 and jump 38.5" on planet earth is minuscule. Since Kyle puts a premium on the ability to separate, it's much easier to find smaller guys that can seperate than guys like Julio Jones. Those guys simply don't exist.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm sure Kyle would love to have another Julio Jones type receiver, but the problem is those type of athletes are once in a generation. The number of 6'4", 225 lbs men that run 4.3 and jump 38.5" on planet earth is minuscule. Since Kyle puts a premium on the ability to separate, it's much easier to find smaller guys that can seperate than guys like Julio Jones. Those guys simply don't exist.

Very true, limited number I agree. I just thought for sure Shanahan would've tried to sign Alshon Jeffrey or Terrelle Pryor instead of the countless number of slot receivers. Maybe Shanahan was targeting speed in free agency instead.
It's truly remarkable and mind boggling when as fans we drool over smaller receivers but with 4.3 speed or slower receivers but at 6'4"+/225 lbs. Then you got guys like Julio or Calvin who have both. Maybe Tate can be that guy for us?

That being said, id rather go pass rusher and OL at the top of the draft unless he really blows us all away this season
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Jul 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
It's truly remarkable and mind boggling when as fans we drool over smaller receivers but with 4.3 speed or slower receivers but at 6'4"+/225 lbs. Then you got guys like Julio or Calvin who have both. Maybe Tate can be that guy for us?

That being said, id rather go pass rusher and OL at the top of the draft unless he really blows us all away this season

O-line might be the next biggest need, but as for pass rush I'd like to see how a Solomon Thomas and DeForest Buckner duo does first, could be exciting!!!
Edit: misquoted a chart
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Jul 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Seems that at the 2014 Nike SPARQ combine, Tate ran a ridiculous 4.31 40 while measuring in at 6'4-1/2", 206 lbs. Chart could be displaying incorrectly on my phone, however

According to this website, the 4.31 is his short shuttle. His 40 is missing.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/8/5881543/2014-sparq-combine-results-the-opening
Ya, he's no where on any of the top 40 times from the event, and id imagine with a time and size like that, it'd be all over the web. I believe he was injured his senior year, so he likely didn't run at all. Sorry for the misinformation yall!

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Very true, limited number I agree. I just thought for sure Shanahan would've tried to sign Alshon Jeffrey or Terrelle Pryor instead of the countless number of slot receivers. Maybe Shanahan was targeting speed in free agency instead.

Good post Hero. It's no doubt, Kyle's offense has been at it's best when he's had that big bodied/fast receiver that can separate ie Andre Johnson and Julio Jones. That holds true for almost any offense though, as long as there's a capable qb throwing them the ball. Kyle, however does have a great understanding of how to maximize guys like that's production within his scheme and game planning maybe better than anybody. If one of those types were available, he'd love to have that kind of piece.

As far as Tate goes, he has the look and tools to be dominant. Size, speed, big catch radius. He has just 25 catches, just over 400 yards and six tds in his career to his name though. I'd think in order for him to be considered up there in the top 10 draft picks, he's going to need a really huge leap in production. This year will be his best opportunity for that with Travis Rudolph, Kermit Whitfield, Jesus Wilson all gone. Those were Florida State's top three leading receivers last season.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jul 2, 2017 at 12:27 PM ]
Edit. .
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jul 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM ]
Seems for sure they are developing a group of small fast receivers. You can really only have one Julio Jones reciever if you want a defense and running game. Once a starting QB is set you can look to taylor fit a #1 WR to fit his strengths.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
It doesn't seem like Shanahan wants a Julio Jones type receiver (size and speed) with all these slot receiver like signings, but I'm hoping for Tate. I miss the days of Terrell Owens and how he use dominate just running through defenders, I would love to see that again with an offense like Shanahan's. Like I said, I don't know much about Tate and yes highlights don't tell the whole story, but from what I've seen he looks like a much better prospect than Mike Williams. If the 49ers are out of reach from Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Rudolph I would hope the Ridley or Tate (depending on how his season goes) is top 5 on their board.

I really hope that' not the case (the bold). I've been BEGGING for this type of WR for a LONG time. But WR's gave been Baalke's blind spot. I know one thing, we need a guy like that - a physical big-body'd WR with speed on the roster. We're not getting out the NFC West without one. We're not doing this with a bunch of small, speedy, shifty slot WR's. They all can't play slot, they all can't be in motion, and they all can't play off the line. At some point we'er gonna need a big physical WR who can force himself into their routs and catch contested balls and not just rely on the scheme to open them up. Indeed speed kills. But this is where the essence of a "flanker" WR comes in. There's a real reason teams are going to bigger, more physical CB's. So draft one, develop one, or trade for one, I don't care. But we're gonna have to have a guy like that on the roster, and playing a lot too. I know those guys aren't grown on trees, but we gotta get one on the roster. Right now Smelter is the only WR on the roster like that. So I think Kyle & Co. should take a good long look at him, coach him up if need be.
Seattle won a Super bowl with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse, so I am not sure what your basis is for saying, "We're not getting out the NFC West without one."

And those smaller receivers don't need to play in the slot. Bunch and stack formations work just as well. Ask the New England Patriots.
Share 49ersWebzone