LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Arden Key DE LSU

The Wilkins thread got me watching more Arden Key. He's the consensus, top-rated pass rusher in this upcoming draft...

Extremely impressive talent, but I saw some plays that gave me concern. You don't usually see a sophomore DE get this tired. I saw quite a few plays where he was loafing it like this (coming from RDE):

If he hustled, he could've stopped that guy for a loss. Dude looked exhausted. Like I said, you don't usually see that from an elite, sophomore DE.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
The Wilkins thread got me watching more Arden Key. He's the consensus, top-rated pass rusher in this upcoming draft...

Extremely impressive talent, but I saw some plays that gave me concern. You don't usually see a sophomore DE get this tired. I saw quite a few plays where he was loafing it like this (coming from RDE):

If he hustled, he could've stopped that guy for a loss. Dude looked exhausted. Like I said, you don't usually see that from an elite, sophomore DE.

This is the kid I have my eye on

It's a QB read. His initial responsibility was the QB. If he knew right from the start that the RB was going to get the ball, he could have made a stop for a loss, but otherwise, he had no shot at making a play even if he sprinted once the QB ran by him. At best, he would have caught him from behind after the missed tackle and brought him down after a gain of 2-3 yards.

Why risk injury running through traffic when you're a top prospect, you aren't getting paid, and your teammates are in position to make a play? Contrary to popular belief, most players don't go 100% on every play in college or the NFL, especially when the play is in the opposite direction.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

It's a QB read. His initial responsibility was the QB. If he knew right from the start that the RB was going to get the ball, he could have made a stop for a loss

But even after he knew the RB had the ball, he totally loafed it. And this is BEFORE he's a millionaire. Gives me concern (and I saw more plays like that).
Ummm.. Can we have some new updates or gifs cause that post was from May 7th so going back to last season lol.
How's he doing ? Is he living up to his top 5 prospect ranking so far ?
Originally posted by jersey49er:
How's he doing ? Is he living up to his top 5 prospect ranking so far ?

1.5 sacks.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
It's a QB read. His initial responsibility was the QB. If he knew right from the start that the RB was going to get the ball, he could have made a stop for a loss, but otherwise, he had no shot at making a play even if he sprinted once the QB ran by him. At best, he would have caught him from behind after the missed tackle and brought him down after a gain of 2-3 yards.

Why risk injury running through traffic when you're a top prospect, you aren't getting paid, and your teammates are in position to make a play? Contrary to popular belief, most players don't go 100% on every play in college or the NFL, especially when the play is in the opposite direction.

Great point. I get sick of Internet draft experts who harp on motor, but who seemingly have no idea that college players are COACHED how and when to take plays off, to combat the tempo college offenses are allowed to run at. An edge rusher easing off the throttle when the run goes away isn't a big deal. Now, if an edge rusher takes a 3rd and long passing down off, I have questions.
Great athleticism, but I just don't see him as a dominant pass rusher. Not buying the top-10 hype. He'll look good in workouts, but taking him in the 1st is a huge risk.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Ummm.. Can we have some new updates or gifs cause that post was from May 7th so going back to last season lol.

Feel free to add some of your own.

Sincerely,

Little Red Hen

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Looked good tonight
Read that he went from 238lbs to 270lbs, which is why he's been mediocre. He dropped 20lbs and is starting to look like him old self again. 3 sacks in the last 2 games.
If Key has the same conditioning issues like Aaron Lynch then he might drop way out of the top ten.
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
If Key has the same conditioning issues like Aaron Lynch then he might drop way out of the top ten.

He hasn't been considered a top-10 pick since the offseason.

Key is one of those high-risk-high-reward types of picks right now IMO. His inconsistent effort does concern me...
Share 49ersWebzone