LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Snap poll: Grade for trade with Saints

Snap poll: Grade for trade with Saints

49ers trade 3rd this year for Saints 7th round pick this year, and their 2nd round pick next year.

I'm not a fan of this trade. Lots of quality players were on the board. I guess Lynch is stocking up for next year, but if the Saints play decent ball, the gain is negligible.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
A good GM thinks further than one season at a time. Not a world breaking deal like in the first round, but this is good. I say B.
I love it. If we don't get Cousins or Garappolo in FA we'll have to find our QB of the future in the draft. Getting the extra capital could be the difference between getting our franchise QB or not.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
49ers trade 3rd this year for Saints 7th round pick this year, and their 2nd round pick next year.

I'm not a fan of this trade. Lots of quality players were on the board. I guess Lynch is stocking up for next year, but if the Saints play decent ball, the gain is negligible.

If the Saints play decent the Niners essentially have 3- 3rd round picks. I'm good with it.
They are loading up for next year, either to position themselves for trading up for QB or offensive players. This year is about defense.
Should of taken Kamara. F+
Originally posted by Janitor:
A good GM thinks further than one season at a time. Not a world breaking deal like in the first round, but this is good. I say B.

I just don't see an obvious upside. If the Saints go 4-12, then it is a good trade. If they get 7 or 8 wins, it's a push. If they are a playoff team, Niners lose.
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

If the Saints play decent the Niners essentially have 3- 3rd round picks. I'm good with it.

What? Even if they play good, it is still a 2nd rounder. Not like it is affected by comp picks preceding it in the 1st round. The saints will probably be like #20 pick.
Depends on who they passed up pans out and how bad the Saints are next year.
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Should of taken Kamara. F+

I wanted him too but I'm also thinking about getting the best QB in the 2018 draft.

Also, of we land Cousins we can go wild drafting offensive skill positions in 2018.
[ Edited by LeProfessionnel on Apr 28, 2017 at 7:05 PM ]

This one hurts a bit because I really liked Kamara but I understand what they are trying to do.

Would've liked a little more value for this year than a 7th because if they make it the playoffs it won't look nearly as attractive. I guess we gotta hope they go 7-9 or 8-8 and not 10-6.
  • eman
  • Veteran
This trade actually is great! Wish we got something better than 7 this year... maybe a 6

But the reason we did this deal is because the staff just got together in February and did not get a chance to scout players well... so why jump and try and fix everything in one year... NO is in division with panthers bucs and falcons ... they will likely finish #3 or 4. Essentially they may have top 15 pick in 2nd round next year in 2nd round... that is a very valuable trade ammo to have to trade up and get QB in top 3 or WR in top 5. Think about it.. why force and get someone in 3rd rd that may be a bust, instead get the ammo to move up!

Now if we can package some of the 5/ 6/ 7s and move up to get some 4/5s I'd be ecstatic !!
Ammo to trade up next year maybe
One the fence... There were a lot of good players on the board and we could only get a late 2nd next year for it, well plus a throw in 7th. Don't mind trading but would of rathered we stayed in the 3rd by getting saints pick
I voted B because I wanted Kamara and the Saints might end up in the playoffs thus giving us a late second. Kinda sucks that they drafted him with our pick.

Still, it gave us more value in 2018. Hopefully Brees hurts his toe and misses 7 games.
Share 49ersWebzone