LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Marcus Williams FS Utah

everyone seems to think we're lacking a ball-hawk FS (I think Ward can be that).

I think this kid has the tools to be a top end FS in this league...he's getting mocked all over the place but I see a bottom of the 2nd Rd as a realistic pick.

OVERVIEW
Utah's secret to football success has been their coaches' ability to find three-star recruits out of California to make the trip to Salt Lake City. Williams, a Corona native, continued that trend and contributed immediately, starting six times as a true freshman (59 tackles, INT, two forced fumbles.) In 2015, he started every game, garnering first-team all-conference (66 tackles, five INT, five pass breakups), and academic all-conference honors (4.0 high school GPA). Williams missed time in 2016 with an injury but still was named second-team All-Pac-12 with 64 tackles, five interceptions and three pass breakups.

STRENGTHS Athletic and instinctive from high safety. Easy hips with smooth feet in his backpedal. Able to play from deep positioning and still make plays on the ball. Good recognition of quarterback's intentions gives him a head-start on the throw. Has desired open-field speed to close from hash to sideline. Former basketball player and high-jumper with the leaping ability and timing to win the 50-50 throws. Posted 10 interceptions against 44 targets over last two seasons. Productive tackler and careful finisher. Steps downhill against the run. Leverages ball carriers to the sideline and rarely lets him cross back over into middle of the field. Gathers feet and widens out to unfurl a wider tackling net.

WEAKNESSES Needs to add some muscle on his slim frame. More of a finesses safety than hitter. Takes the worst of it in one-on-one tackles. Can be dragged along for additional yardage. Plays with a hitch in his transition from backpedal. Occasionally follows quarterback's eyes too carefully and can be manipulated.NFL

COMPARISON Justin Simmons (CBS comp is Ha Ha Clinton-Dix)

BOTTOM LINE Ball-hawking free safety who has outstanding ball skills and has shown a propensity for causing turnovers. He can play from a high centerfield spot and utilizes his instincts to swoop down and challenge throws. He's able to get running backs down, but he's not physical enough to be a combination safety. NFL teams love defensive backs with athletic traits, instincts and ball skills. If he works out well before the draft, he should move up team boards.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-williams?id=2558068

Watched this film a few days ago, and I agree he could be really good. He does seem slow in coverage sometimes though, however he makes up for it by some nasty hits
What impresses me about him in comparison to hooker is his tackling and rub stop abilities
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Watched this film a few days ago, and I agree he could be really good. He does seem slow in coverage sometimes though, however he makes up for it by some nasty hits
What impresses me about him in comparison to hooker is his tackling and rub stop abilities

yeah he's not Hooker but I think he could be a very good FS in this league. I would agree I think his tackling is much better than Hooker.
My #3 FS, but only gave him a 3rd/4th round grade.

I think after Hooker/Baker there is a big drop off this year in FS.
SunDevil, what do you think about Tedric Thompson at FS? Seems like he has the coverage and range skills to do it.
SunDevil, what do you think about Tedric Thompson at FS? Seems like he has the coverage and range skills to do it.

Haven't had the time to get a grade on him yet. That Colorado secondary was pretty impressive this year, and just looking at stats he obviously has some ball skills. I'll try to circle back to him, right now I'm trying to get some OL and DL guys finished
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Haven't had the time to get a grade on him yet. That Colorado secondary was pretty impressive this year, and just looking at stats he obviously has some ball skills. I'll try to circle back to him, right now I'm trying to get some OL and DL guys finished
Sweet, update his thread when/if you get to grading him, interested to see your take
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
My #3 FS, but only gave him a 3rd/4th round grade.

I think after Hooker/Baker there is a big drop off this year in FS.

Yeah I agree...I'm really a big fan of Baker.

Agreed nice find. He would fit in this defense nicely
Man the more I watch from this kid the more I like...ball hawk FS with range

He looks like a good prospect but if we do not draft Hooker I doubt we draft a FS at all this year.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
He looks like a good prospect but if we do not draft Hooker I doubt we draft a FS at all this year.

Why is that?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Man the more I watch from this kid the more I like...ball hawk FS with range

Who y'all like better, baker or this guy.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Mar 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM ]
athletic freak
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
athletic freak

Agreed
Share 49ersWebzone