LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

SAM OLB

I'm pretty infatuated with the idea of a starting 7 being

Armstead, Mitchell, DeFo, Ingram
??? , Bowman, Zach Brown

But what are some good realistic prospects in the mid to late rounds for a SAM lb, and why?

I'm liking ryan anderson, tyus bowser, and Anthony walker
Tyus Bowser. He was made to play SAM in this scheme. Long, explosive athlete that has excellent coverage skills, can set a hard edge, and is a real pass-rushing threat. I've been watching his tape, and he's very impressive in space. He covered everything from running backs to even the slot at times. Houston utilized him exactly how we would in this defense.

I think he's so athletic that he might be able to play WILL, too.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 25, 2017 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Tyus Bowser. He was made to play SAM in this scheme. Long, explosive athlete that has excellent coverage skills, can set a hard edge, and is a real pass-rushing threat. I've been watching his tape, and he's very impressive in space. He covered everything from running backs to even the slot at times. Houston utilized him exactly how we would in this defense.

Nice looking prospect along with Elijah Lee of Kansas State
Originally posted by tohara3:

Nice looking prospect along with Elijah Lee of Kansas State
I really like Lee
Elijah Lee is not a SAM LB in this style of defense. In addition to being athletic enough to play in space, You have be stout and be able to anchor at the edge as a SAM LB in this scheme.
Elijah Lee is not a SAM LB in this style of defense. In addition to being athletic enough to play in space, You have be stout and be able to anchor at the edge as a SAM LB in this scheme.

Sounds like you're calling our OL boy Brooks name until someone seats him down haha. What's the round projection on Bowser?
Who knows if Brooks is in the plans moving forward. Lynch harped on wanting to add speed and get more athletic. Those traits are especially prioritized in this defensive scheme.

Bowser could go anywhere from the late first to the third. He's going to perform really well at the combine next week, so his stock should rise.

I have a good feeling that speed, quickness, and athleticism are going to be a constant theme during the draft for us. It's even sweeter when you can find those traits in a guy who is built like Bowser.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 26, 2017 at 12:20 AM ]
Who knows if Brooks is in the plans moving forward. Lynch harped on wanting to add speed and get more athletic. Those traits are especially prioritized in this defensive scheme.

Bowser could go anywhere from the late first to the third. He's going to perform really well at the combine next week, so his stock should rise.

I have a good feeling that speed, quickness, and athleticism are going to be a constant theme during the draft for us.

Hmm.. what would you say the percentages are for SAM in run/cover/pass rush or blitz. Also perhaps looking at who the Jaguars SAM was last year and what his stats where. This bowser guy just in size looks like he fits the part nice. Similar to KJ Wright(I know he plays WILL but like the range w/his size) whose 6-4 246.

Looks like Marsh was Seattles best SAM but his stats sucked too, on paper respectively. Looks like Jags and Seahawks barely used their SAM on run downs then musta went with another DB cause their backups at their other LB spots didn't do much neither.

That's why I wanna keep Brooks at his reduced rate, especially if we want to groom or just have for overall depth(best 53 )
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 26, 2017 at 12:33 AM ]
I have no idea about the percentage of those plays.

What I do know is the Seahawks lost Bruce Irvin before last season, and they haven't replaced him yet. They have a need there, and I could definitely see Bowser being on their wishlist to play SLB. He definitely checks the boxes for what the Seahawks want in their LBs.
I have no idea about the percentage of those plays.

What I do know is the Seahawks lost Bruce Irvin before last season, and they haven't replaced him yet. They have a need there, and I could definitely see Bowser being on their wishlist to play SLB. He definitely checks the boxes for what the Seahawks want in their LBs.

Irvin played the Leo role for them too right? I really didn't know he played SAM from them and thought if he was in as a LB was just to spy like did with Kap in the past.

"Your SAM linebacker's the fastest guy on the team," Peppers boasted with a smile after winning a sprint race with Michigan's fastest players.

But, wait, what? SAM Linebacker?

That'd be correct. Through the first two days of Michigan's spring camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, Peppers -- the 2015 Big Ten freshman of the year -- has played almost exclusively as a strong-side linebacker in Brown's new Michigan defense.

The 6-foot-1, 208-pound Peppers has played in the box. Blitzed. Supported the run. Covered tight ends and covered the slot.

His position, as of now, has the word "linebacker" in it. But in name only. In reality, Peppers is still a hybrid rover in Brown's system because he's the best athlete on the field on every rep.

"I just think we've got to give this guy a bunch of jobs," Brown said Tuesday evening. "He's a dynamic athlete and we'll keep him around the line of scrimmage and let him do a bunch of stuff. Whether he's covering (receivers) or in certain personnel groups playing linebacker-type stuff.

"Our SAM is kind of a hybrid."

Which, of course, is why Peppers fits the position so well."
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2016/03/don_brown_on_jabrill_peppers_n.html

"At 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds, there will be questions about Peppers' position in the NFL. His bulk probably makes him a safety, despite speed befitting a cornerback, which in turn will tempt defensive coordinators to make the same decision Michigan's Don Brown did and move him closer to the line as a small linebacker. His ability with the ball in his hands will make him a valuable return man and perhaps part-time Wildcat quarterback or slot receiver."

1st year at that position and received Big Ten defensive player award.... Who wouldn't want a player that can play Lb, Safety and can cover a corner back or tight ends?

2016 All-Big Ten defensive team & award winners: Jabrill Peppers wins three awards
- See more at: http://btn.com/2016/11/29/2016-all-big-ten-defense-award-winners-jabrill-peppers-wins-three-awards/#sthash.ByNhNtqp.dpuf

He has bulked up even more for the combine at the San Diego Exos... The possibilities are endless and is a defensive dream..
Michigan ended up with the #1 defense in the nation...

Do you really understand what a defensive coordinator can do with someone like this being mentored by Charles Woodson? I don't think most are really understanding the freak he really is.

Let me move the guys some are hyping to a different position his last year and win 3 awards...Don't forget being a heisman candidate.. I want elite... Quality like this. Those other names are meh compare to this freak. I want this on my niners. Offensive nightmares!!!
I want to put fear in offensive coordinators when they see our defense.. He would create havoc..
No substitutes on certain occasions.. lol an offensive nightmare....
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 9:06 AM ]
Oh god, wu has arrived. Thread over.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
"Your SAM linebacker's the fastest guy on the team," Peppers boasted with a smile after winning a sprint race with Michigan's fastest players.

That'd be correct. Through the first two days of Michigan's spring camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, Peppers -- the 2015 Big Ten freshman of the year -- has played almost exclusively as a strong-side linebacker in Brown's new Michigan defense.

The 6-foot-1, 208-pound Peppers has played in the box. Blitzed. Supported the run. Covered tight ends and covered the slot.

His position, as of now, has the word "linebacker" in it. But in name only. In reality, Peppers is still a hybrid rover in Brown's system because he's the best athlete on the field on every rep.

"I just think we've got to give this guy a bunch of jobs," Brown said Tuesday evening. "He's a dynamic athlete and we'll keep him around the line of scrimmage and let him do a bunch of stuff. Whether he's covering (receivers) or in certain personnel groups playing linebacker-type stuff.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2016/03/don_brown_on_jabrill_peppers_n.html

"At 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds, there will be questions about Peppers' position in the NFL. His bulk probably makes him a safety, despite speed befitting a cornerback, which in turn will tempt defensive coordinators to make the same decision Michigan's Don Brown did and move him closer to the line as a small linebacker. His ability with the ball in his hands will make him a valuable return man and perhaps part-time Wildcat quarterback or slot receiver."

1st year at that position and received Big Ten defensive player award.... Who wouldn't want a player that can play Lb, Safety and can cover a corner back or tight ends?

2016 All-Big Ten defensive team & award winners: Jabrill Peppers wins three awards
- See more at: http://btn.com/2016/11/29/2016-all-big-ten-defense-award-winners-jabrill-peppers-wins-three-awards/#sthash.ByNhNtqp.dpuf

He has bulked up even more for the combine at the San Diego Exos... The possibilities are endless and is a defensive dream..

Do you really understand what a defensive coordinator can do with someone like this being mentored by Charles Woodson? I don't think most are really understanding the freak he really is.

Let me move the guys some are hyping to a different position his last year and win 3 awards...Don't forget being a heisman candidate.. I want elite... Quality like this. Those other names are meh compare to this freak. I want this on my niners. Offensive nightmares!!!
I want to put fear in offensive coordinators when they see our defense.. He would create havoc..

Might want to do some research about our scheme because none of that applies to the SAM in this defense. Imagine peppers trying to set an edge at 205 lbs.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

Might want to do some research about our scheme because none of that applies to the SAM in this defense. Imagine peppers trying to set an edge at 205 lbs.

That article was a year ago, I'm stressing the diversity in what you can do with a player like him. His weight is getting up there and is a very strong prospect. Its more what can you do with a player that can play three positions on defense like he can. If offenses substitutes, a player like thus can move up in the box without subbing on defense, he is very dynamic. A player that you can move around with his talents is a threat. You can stay with your base package with a player like him without subbing.He is getting up to 220lb with a punch, who can handle tight ends if need be..

I did my research.
http://www.stack.com/a/jabrill-peppers-might-be-the-most-jacked-nfl-prospect-in-the-country

"From Dumbbell Rows to Pull-Ups with a weighted vest to hitting lightspeed on a Curve treadmill, observing Peppers working out can make people re-evaluate what they're doing in the gym, and maybe even rethink their entire existence. Peppers, who has a penchant for getting after it with his shirt off, can dwarf even the strongest NFL prospect in terms of brute strength."

Far fetched? I see. I wont say another word. With a player that can play 3 positions is a plus for a defense but I get it...

Enjoy your thread. Ill stay out of it
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Feb 26, 2017 at 10:40 AM ]
I wouldn't mind seeing Hodges play the Sam...he's got the athleticism to be good, IMHO. My guess is they'll start a vet there and bring along whomever they draft. Really don't see many (if any) rookies starting for Shanahan.
Share 49ersWebzone