LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 411 users in the forums

Garret or Foster with Xtra picks

With all the speculation on what the browns might do with the number one pick, there is a sizable chance that Myles Garret could fall to us at second. With what I have seen from his game tape, Garret is exceptional against mediocre college LT talent. But I'm not sure that at the NFL level he would be as productive as the potential additional draft picks could be with trading back with an overly hungry team and at the same time grabbing a MLB that could set the tone for years to come. These extra picks could change our team in a way that far outweighs a potential sack a game and the game planning from the opposition that considers it. Pass rushers are a high dollar commodity but not as valuable as a stiff run defense. Foster and the Xtra picks and a FA NT would place a Blarney Stone for our team on the side of the ball that could make us the most competitive the fastest.
Garrett was not healthy this year, so it's tough to judge him. When the anylists say he is a generational player most people listen and take notice. If Garrett is there you take him unless someone is offering 2 firsts, or a 1st and 2 second s maybe. But other then that you take Garrett in my opinion.
I'd trade down only of Garrett isn't there, and definitely not for foster.
If Garrett falls to two I would definitely snag him unless Tennessee offers up their two first rounders and I probably wouldn't choose foster not if Cunningham, Davis, reddick are available in the second round
Honestly, Foster is overrated and is not a top 5, might not even be a top 10 player. There were a lot of talent and star players on that Alabama defense that makes life easier for any MLB/ILB. There's as many as 4 players on that front seven that could go in the 1st rd. Foster was free to run around all the time and making plays because the DL and OLBs was taking up double teams. He's talented but I'm not sure how well he would play without those beasts playing in front of him.

Edit: Just my opinion guys!!
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Jan 29, 2017 at 12:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Honestly, Foster is overrated and is not a top 5, might not even be a top 10 player. There were a lot of talent and star players on that Alabama defense that makes life easier for any MLB/ILB. There's as many as 4 players on that front seven that could go in the 1st rd. Foster was free to run around all the time and making plays because the DL and OLBs was taking up double teams. He's talented but I'm not sure how well he would play without those beasts playing in front of him.

Totally agree foster is probably the most overrated guy in the wedzone...he'd couldn't sniff Willis jock strap and that's the type of talent you draft at ILB in the top 5, not foster.
Garrett. The amount of haters on Garrett is seriously mind boggling.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Totally agree foster is probably the most overrated guy in the wedzone...he'd couldn't sniff Willis jock strap and that's the type of talent you draft at ILB in the top 5, not foster.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

This, that and the other thing.

If Garrett is there, you draft Garrett.
Lol at the idea that there is a sizeable chance Garrett is there at 2. The Browns can take a 6'1-6'2 QB with one year of starting experience in college, a 290 pound DT who is not close to Aaron Donald as a prospect, or a 6'5 270 edge rusher with Von Miller type upside.

The only way Garrett falls to 2 is if teams are scared of his injury history in which case I don't see us getting a huge return for him. There is at most one player worth the kind of haul teams usually give up for #1 or #2 picks and that's Myles Garrett, but only if his medical history checks out. If Garrett is worth a ton in a trade, the Browns will either draft him or trade the pick. If he falls to 2, it's because he's not worth that much.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Lol at the idea that there is a sizeable chance Garrett is there at 2. The Browns can take a 6'1-6'2 QB with one year of starting experience in college, a 290 pound DT who is not close to Aaron Donald as a prospect, or a 6'5 270 edge rusher with Von Miller type upside.

The only way Garrett falls to 2 is if teams are scared of his injury history in which case I don't see us getting a huge return for him. There is at most one player worth the kind of haul teams usually give up for #1 or #2 picks and that's Myles Garrett, but only if his medical history checks out. If Garrett is worth a ton in a trade, the Browns will either draft him or trade the pick. If he falls to 2, it's because he's not worth that much.

It's because he's not worth that much, to the Browns

They hired a base 4-3 coach, drafted 2 4-3 DE in the top 65 picks last year, and on top of that they drafted an OLB in the 4th I believe and just resigned collins to a massive contract. They have shelton at nose and not much else along the interior. They also have no qb, and havnt had one for years. Garrett would be a great addition to the Browns, no doubt, but they have other needs that they, nor their fan base, may not be able to overlook

No matter who's there at #2 I still say trading down's the best thing for our new GM to do. That's nothing against Garrett...but it is important to compare him to Barnett for the simple fact they both had 32 sacks the last two seasons, but Barnett had 29 of those vs SEC competition, while Garrett's was less than half of that. That said, the value of gaining 2-3 picks for trading down far outweighs what either could bring to the team. I'm sure both Shanahan and the new GM will want to take full advantage of available cap space and the #2 draft position to dramatically improve their roster. The more top picks they have to work with, the better.
  • KPaul
  • Veteran
Going to have to agree with most of the opinions brought up re Foster- doesn't strike me as a game changer.

Garrett or trade down for Mike Williams/Corey Davis depending on how far we trade back.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by KPaul:
Going to have to agree with most of the opinions brought up re Foster- doesn't strike me as a game changer.

Garrett or trade down for Mike Williams/Corey Davis depending on how far we trade back.

This.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I'd trade down only of Garrett isn't there, and definitely not for foster.

This

IMO there are 2 guys who will definitely be difference makers - but the only 2

Garrett and Allan
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

This, that and the other thing.

If Garrett is there, you draft Garrett.

Bingo!
Share 49ersWebzone