LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

No NFL team can beat the draft

This is an older but worthwhile article from 538 that makes some great points, that teams can have tremendous success in the draft over the short term but across the long term, everything returns back to the mean. The Seahawks are a great example of this, they had a few REALLY good years, now their last few drafts haven't been quite so brilliant and they've had a lot of wasted picks. Eventually everyone's luck runs out.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/no-team-can-beat-the-draft/

During this week's NFL draft, 32 team executives will select 256 prospects in the most-hyped, most-scrutinized event of its kind. Whatever happens will make or break talent-evaluation careers, and help plot the course of each franchise over the next decade or more. And it all revolves around what is essentially a very public set of predictions.

Like traders bidding for commodities and speculating on their relative worth, each pick a team makes is essentially a statement about how it expects a player's career to turn out. Overvalue the commodity (i.e., draft a guy too early) and you end up with a bust; undervalue it and risk another team walking away with a prized prospect. Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom. Yet despite so many people trying to "beat the market," no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn't stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

If certain teams had superior talent-evaluation abilities then we'd expect them to achieve a greater return on their draft picks than the average team, after adjusting for where the picks were made in the draft. But if the NFL Draft follows the same general guidelines financial markets do (at least, according to the efficient-market hypothesis), there wouldn't be much of a relationship between a team or an executive's drafting performance across multiple years' worth of drafts.

If teams showed any consistency in their ability to out-draft the market, it would show up in these deviations. But, as Chase Stuart of FootballPerspective.com has also found, there's practically no correlation between a team's picking performance from one draft to the next.

While some veteran general managers were able to sustain positive returns above average over six or more years, even theirs were not unqualified success stories. Along with former Green Bay Packers GM Ron Wolf, ex-San Diego Chargers GM A.J. Smith and ex-Indianapolis Colts GM Bill Polian were the three best drafting executives in our data set on a per-pick basis. But as Pro-Football-Reference's Stuart notes, despite Smith and Polian's track records, both were fired from their posts after a series of poor drafts.

In fact, Polian and Smith merely might have been examples of what's called the "Wyatt Earp Effect." It's named for 19th-century gunslinger, whose fame came from the seeming improbability of an individual surviving countless consecutive gunfights. Any feat seems improbable in hindsight from the perspective of the people involved, but given the volume of gunfights in the Old West, the odds were actually pretty high that someone would make it through a large number of battles unscathed, simply by chance alone.

Likewise, even over a half-decade or more, some GMs would appear to beat average by chance alone. But as we saw with Polian and Smith, eventually that luck runs out.

All of this means that the NFL draft's mechanism for sorting players is largely an efficient system, in the sense that none of its individual actors have the ability to "beat the market" in the long run. Some do see short-term deviations from the mean, but those prove unsustainable over larger samples.

But there's another interpretation. Cade Massey and Richard Thaler's seminal paper (PDF), "The Loser's Curse," argues that NFL decision-makers shouldn't be so quick to attribute the apparent efficiency of the draft market to an abundance of picking skill. To do so is hubris.

As Massey and Thaler point out, the more that teams study players and gather information about them, the more assured they become in their ability to differentiate among prospects of roughly the same talent level. This leads to overconfidence, and the tendency to make what they call "non-regressive predictions" — forecasts that don't appropriately account for the uncertainty in projecting college players' performance in the NFL — about the future value of potential draftees.

. Research by TheBigLead's Jason Lisk (then writing for Pro-Football-Reference) shows that teams with top-five picks in the draft correctly identify the player who goes on to have the best career only 10.3 percent of the time, a success rate that only gets worse as things progress deeper into the draft. So a team that believes it could somehow beat the market if only it controlled its own fate can end up doing more harm than good if it trades away lower picks to move up in the draft. This is especially the case if a team uses Johnson's unrealistically optimistic chart as justification for such behavior.
Great article. 100% agree with the premise. Playing the NFL Draft is almost like Vegas. You can win in the short term, but long term house always wins. The success rate after rounds 1 and 2 guarantees it.

Seattle is a good example, they crushed the draft from 2010-2012. Since then they've been pretty bad. But they have their core players in place at key positions, and will continue to be successful as a team.

Also look at what happened here in SF with Baalke. He crushed it in 2010 and 2011, after that....not so much.

Nailing the draft every year is impossible. You have to hit on the QB, and you have to have a couple solid drafts to lock up your core young talent.
Another good graph from the same site identifying which positions benefit the most from being taken early. LB's appear to give the most bang for the buck compared to drafting them late. QB's are a sketchy proposition but go off a cliff once you get to the third round. Brady throws off the averages a bit but otherwise the graph just flatlines until you hit UDFA(Warner, Romo) DB's also have a very high value early and then crater.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-hard-to-tell-how-good-nfl-teams-are-at-the-draft/
This is such a good post. Thanks for posting it. I don't know why, but a lot of fans have this have this misconception that teams across the NFL nail their draft picks year after year. Couldn't be farther from the truth. The majority of the league misses a lot more than they hit.

As a GM, I think the best recipe to longevity is to hire a great coach, maintain system continuity and hit home runs on the most important positions on the field(ie QB, left tackle, pass rushers). This will give you wiggle room when you miss in the draft, and it keep your team afloat.
VERY interesting. I've always wanted to see a graph that broke down success rate by round for each position.

Going in I thought OL would have the highest number of All-Pros, just because 5 of them start and drafting them in the 1st is usually a safe pick. A little surprised Linebacker was the top position, I wonder if that includes 3-4 OLBs who were DEs coming out of college.

RBs are a very good bet in the middle rounds. Was really high on Jordan Howard this past draft, he got picked in the 5th and looks like a steal.

The QB line is not surprising, but still staggering when you see it. Its RD 1 and 2, or bust. LOL at Brady throwing off the RD 6 figure all by himself.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
VERY interesting. I've always wanted to see a graph that broke down success rate by round for each position.

Going in I thought OL would have the highest number of All-Pros, just because 5 of them start and drafting them in the 1st is usually a safe pick. A little surprised Linebacker was the top position, I wonder if that includes 3-4 OLBs who were DEs coming out of college.

RBs are a very good bet in the middle rounds. Was really high on Jordan Howard this past draft, he got picked in the 5th and looks like a steal.

The QB line is not surprising, but still staggering when you see it. Its RD 1 and 2, or bust. LOL at Brady throwing off the RD 6 figure all by himself.

The way I read it, it includes anyone who plays LB in the NFL, regardless of what their college position was.
Great article. 100% agree with the premise. Playing the NFL Draft is almost like Vegas. You can win in the short term, but long term house always wins. The success rate after rounds 1 and 2 guarantees it.

Seattle is a good example, they crushed the draft from 2010-2012. Since then they've been pretty bad. But they have their core players in place at key positions, and will continue to be successful as a team.

Also look at what happened here in SF with Baalke. He crushed it in 2010 and 2011, after that....not so much.

Nailing the draft every year is impossible. You have to hit on the QB, and you have to have a couple solid drafts to lock up your core young talent.

Agree

Seattle also picked up a couple of very good FA

OL doesn't surprise me. Like QB, everyone is searching for LTs. It's just a high-demand position and highly overdrafted. I'm surprised DBs are so high though.

I bet if they broke out OGs and OTs, you'd see the guards much higher. Like an ILB, they just don't get frequently get drafted in the 1st unless they're projected to be Pro Bowl caliber.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The way I read it, it includes anyone who plays LB in the NFL, regardless of what their college position was.

I see, that makes sense now. Thanks!
Originally posted by strickac:
OL doesn't surprise me. Like QB, everyone is searching for LTs. It's just a high-demand position and highly overdrafted. I'm surprised DBs are so high though.

I bet if they broke out OGs and OTs, you'd see the guards much higher. Like an ILB, they just don't get frequently get drafted in the 1st unless they're projected to be Pro Bowl caliber.

Good point. Kind of like when we picked Mike Iupati, I was almost certain the guy would be pro-bowl, all-pro caliber player. Same with Willis, a ILB

guess a good strategy would be to trade down in rd1 to a later rd 1 (of course can't if you're late rd anyways) to pick up an extra 1 next year or a couple of 2's.
also trade a 2 for a 1 next year - try to stockpile mid-to-late rd1 picks.

the use the baalke strategy of farming for picks later in the draft - its a crapshoot so might as well have a few extra shots
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
It doesn't surprise me that good drafters get worse. Just because there are 32 picks in the first round, doesn't mean that those players decrease linearly in skill/potential. I'd say the difference between the top 10-15 players and all the others is massive.

If you can start with a bad team, have a couple of years of high picks followed by maybe trading for a few more then you can get enough studs to get a winning record. Then you start having to draft at 15+ and you're back throwing darts at a board.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree

Seattle also picked up a couple of very good FA

Bennett and Avril wasn't fair
Nice article. Draft is a crap shoot most of the time. I wonder if they did any analysis on poor drafts several years in a row? That's when GM's hit the road.
I don't have the time to read the full article.

But I'm guessing it has flawed methodology. I mean drafting is very difficult to assess on whether a pick was a good pick. You have to factor in:

-Unpredictable injuries (ie no injury history but then blows out knee in TC and never recovers. That doesn't make it a bad pick)
-Bad coaching/schemes that fail to develop a player or use them properly
-Bad team inhibiting the development of a player
-somewhat arbitrary nature to decide if a player is a success. For example a player might be great but not make a pro bowl
-differential value in picks, ie its more important to hit early picks than later picks because of salary cap investment
-more importance on GM filling a need, ie if the team has no LT and has 4 probowl DBs, its not as valuable that the GM drafted another DB that played well and ignored the LT spot
-Value of drafted player in making wins more likely is hard to assess
-Unknown lost opportunity. A GM might assess and value player very accurately, but because its a draft the player that he knows will "hit" is taken before he picks, and so his results appear worse because of his loss opportunity

edit:
Oh and finally not all positions have equal value. I believe you see LB have such a good hit rate because the position doesn't have inflated value, ie a belief you need a MLB to win and thus teams over-draft MLB.

IMO this is the main problem with QB. Everyone knows QBs are extremely high risk and low hit rate, but the position is so important they will always be over drafted. That doesn't mean GMs hitting on QB is luck and not skill. Its just a very complicated equation to judge
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone