There are 160 users in the forums

Your college top 32 right now?

When we are in full rebuild mode and in the midst of a losing season, my mind wanders to the draft. How about you guys?

With our holes we probably need to look at 1 and 2 years out so might as well familiarize ourselves with the best college players right now and not just the draft elligible ones. Here is my list based on what I've actually watched (I have many more players to watch) - also, I realize these players may not transition to the pros but these are the best I see on college skill. Hopefully, you guys can post your personal favs and not the analysts so we can start finding some gems or have a worthwhile debate to keep our minds off our red and gold tears.

1. Lamar Jackson (QB) - Nobody has stopped him yet
2. Myles Garrett (DE/OLB) - Has been fantastic against the pass and the run
3. Jabrill Peppers (S/LB/CB/Returner) - Otherworldly ability. A bigger and potentially better Mathieu.
4. JT Barrett (QB) - He is putting up ridiculous numbers.
5. Deshone Kizer (QB) - Best player on a bad team. Random note - does anyone else think his hands look small?
6. Chad Hansen (WR) - Also putting up ridiculous numbers in the system. Can't really tell how good he is setting up the defenders.
7. Jonathan Allen (DE/DT) - The best player on a dominant defense.
8. Reuben Foster (ILB) - The commander of a dominant defense.
9. Amba Etta-Tawo (WR) - Has been dominant. Shows speed and ability to get open when plays break down.
10. Chidobe Awuzie (CB) - Has been fantastic in run support, blitzing and covering short and intermediate routes. Not a speedster but hasn't really been overly tested deep.
11. Teez Tabor (CB) - Game completely shifted in the Tennessee game once he got injured.
12. Derwin James (S/CB) - Was all over the field and being disruptive before his injury. Defense has obviously been struggling without him.
13. Evan Engram (TE/WR) - Kelly's go to target. Plays like a wide receiver.
14. Calvin Ridley (WR) - Gets open and wins contested catches.
15. Dalvin Cook (RB) - Offense is holding him back but he is great between and outside the tackles. Seems to be protecting himself or slightly disinterested.
16. Christian McCaffrey (RB) - Shows speed, power and quickness at the college level.
17. Deshaun Watson (QB) - He is calm and cool under pressure and can make critical throws. Accuracy has been highly suspect this season.
18. Davis Webb (QB) - Makes the plays he needs to make in the system he is in and lights it up.
19. O.J. Howard (TE) - Fantastic athlete for a tight end.
20. Christian Kirk (WR) - Can play inside and outside. Great hands and great sense in where to be.
21. Devonte Fields (OLB) - Is making an impact but might not show up in stats as he is being double-teamed or qbs are sliding away from him.
22. Brad Kaaya (QB) - Has good touch and anticipation. Accuracy goes from great to bad randomly in drives.
23. Jake Browning (QB) - Reminds me of Trevor Simien right now.
24. Leonard Fournette (RB) - The skills are evident. Too bad the line and rest of the offense has not made him look like the best player in college ball.
25. Nick Chubb (RB) - He has played very well even when you have to assume he has been playing near 90% health.
26. Brandon Radcliff (RB) - Shows power and speed.
27. Mike Williams (WR) - Either dominant or invisible so he falls here.
28. John Ross (WR) - A Tyler Lockette like speedster
29. Chad Kelly (QB) - Makes great throws better than anyone in the league and then some boneheaded ones.
30. Artavis Scott (WR/returner) - He can make the big plays.
31. Greg Ward (QB) - Makes big plays but his return ability shines above all else.
32. Ben Boulware (ILB) - Aggressive, instinctive but probably just a thumper.
[ Edited by gored49 on Oct 7, 2016 at 9:06 AM ]
Players like Barrett and Ward are great college QBs but I don't think they will be in the NFL if they even stay at QB, Next year Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk is definitely my favorite WR..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Players like Barrett and Ward are great college QBs but I don't think they will be in the NFL if they even stay at QB, Next year Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk is definitely my favorite WR..

This is more of a power ranking for the college level. I'll get deeper into NFL transition as the season goes on. Even after this week some players would drop out of my top 32.

Kirk is going to be good which means the niners will not get him.
Question about Peppers, which position is he best suited for?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarkShinobiX:

He'd make a great LB/Saftey hybrid that used properly could impact the game much like the honey badger has in Arizona.
Originally posted by jcs:

He'd make a great LB/Saftey hybrid that used properly could impact the game much like the honey badger has in Arizona.

I see him as more of a Deone Bucannon or Shaq Thompson, way bigger than the Badger. Better athletic ability than the two guys I mentioned though, even though Thompson was a very nice athlete. Can line up all over the place, fun player to watch and could be a terror with a clever D coordinator.
[ Edited by GoldenJoe on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:21 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:

Jim Harbaugh said before the season that Peppers future is probably at nickelback. I could see a team use him at safety in base and move him into the slot on nickel packages.
Originally posted by gored49:
When we are in full rebuild mode and in the midst of a losing season, my mind wanders to the draft. How about you guys?

With our holes we probably need to look at 1 and 2 years out so might as well familiarize ourselves with the best college players right now and not just the draft elligible ones. Here is my list based on what I've actually watched (I have many more players to watch) - also, I realize these players may not transition to the pros but these are the best I see on college skill. Hopefully, you guys can post your personal favs and not the analysts so we can start finding some gems or have a worthwhile debate to keep our minds off our red and gold tears.

1. Lamar Jackson (QB) - Nobody has stopped him yet
2. Myles Garrett (DE/OLB) - Has been fantastic against the pass and the run
3. Jabrill Peppers (S/LB/CB/Returner) - Otherworldly ability. A bigger and potentially better Mathieu.
4. JT Barrett (QB) - He is putting up ridiculous numbers.
5. Deshone Kizer (QB) - Best player on a bad team. Random note - does anyone else think his hands look small?
6. Chad Hansen (WR) - Also putting up ridiculous numbers in the system. Can't really tell how good he is setting up the defenders.
7. Jonathan Allen (DE/DT) - The best player on a dominant defense.
8. Reuben Foster (ILB) - The commander of a dominant defense.
9. Amba Etta-Tawo (WR) - Has been dominant. Shows speed and ability to get open when plays break down.
10. Chidobe Awuzie (CB) - Has been fantastic in run support, blitzing and covering short and intermediate routes. Not a speedster but hasn't really been overly tested deep.
11. Teez Tabor (CB) - Game completely shifted in the Tennessee game once he got injured.
12. Derwin James (S/CB) - Was all over the field and being disruptive before his injury. Defense has obviously been struggling without him.
13. Evan Engram (TE/WR) - Kelly's go to target. Plays like a wide receiver.
14. Calvin Ridley (WR) - Gets open and wins contested catches.
15. Dalvin Cook (RB) - Offense is holding him back but he is great between and outside the tackles. Seems to be protecting himself or slightly disinterested.
16. Christian McCaffrey (RB) - Shows speed, power and quickness at the college level.
17. Deshaun Watson (QB) - He is calm and cool under pressure and can make critical throws. Accuracy has been highly suspect this season.
18. Davis Webb (QB) - Makes the plays he needs to make in the system he is in and lights it up.
19. O.J. Howard (TE) - Fantastic athlete for a tight end.
20. Christian Kirk (WR) - Can play inside and outside. Great hands and great sense in where to be.
21. Devonte Fields (OLB) - Is making an impact but might not show up in stats as he is being double-teamed or qbs are sliding away from him.
22. Brad Kaaya (QB) - Has good touch and anticipation. Accuracy goes from great to bad randomly in drives.
23. Jake Browning (QB) - Reminds me of Trevor Simien right now.
24. Leonard Fournette (RB) - The skills are evident. Too bad the line and rest of the offense has not made him look like the best player in college ball.
25. Nick Chubb (RB) - He has played very well even when you have to assume he has been playing near 90% health.
26. Brandon Radcliff (RB) - Shows power and speed.
27. Mike Williams (WR) - Either dominant or invisible so he falls here.
28. John Ross (WR) - A Tyler Lockette like speedster
29. Chad Kelly (QB) - Makes great throws better than anyone in the league and then some boneheaded ones.
30. Artavis Scott (WR/returner) - He can make the big plays.
31. Greg Ward (QB) - Makes big plays but his return ability shines above all else.
32. Ben Boulware (ILB) - Aggressive, instinctive but probably just a thumper.

Are these ranked strictly based on college performance or pro potential? Because if its the latter there is no way some of the guys you have listed deserve to be anywhere near the top 25 in terms of draft prospects.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I'll give you my top 4.

1. Jabrill Peppers FS
  2. Jabrill Peppers OLB
  3. Jabrill Peppers HB
  4. Jabrill Peppers KR

Originally posted by SoCold:
I'll give you my top 4.

1. Jabrill Peppers FS
  2. Jabrill Peppers OLB
  3. Jabrill Peppers HB
  4. Jabrill Peppers KR

Nice SoCold.....

"Jabrill Peppers for Heisman: More versatile than Woodson, more dangerous than Deion"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jabrill-peppers-for-heisman-more-versatile-than-woodson-more-dangerous-than-deion/

"But Peppers is proving both that he is willing to listen and that it can be done.
Through six games, he has played 13 positions, according to Michigan officials. (That counts receiver and slot receiver as two different positions, but moving on ...)
Most of those 331 snaps are at his native outside linebacker (161), but 79 of them are on special teams, where Peppers both covers and returns kicks.
Throw in the media influence of his coach, and we have more than a phenomenon. Peppers has a chance to win the Stiff Arm as an ultimate Swiss Army Knife."

Jake Lourim
Managing Sports Editor
Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 8:49pm
More like this

Charles Woodson? Willie Mays? No wrong answers when it comes to Jabrill Peppers
SportsMonday Column: In the Big House, Woodson's father like everyone else
Michigan's all-purpose Peppers still trying to take on more
A name came up Tuesday at Schembechler Hall, one that doesn't come up too often in comparisons.

That name is etched on the list of Heisman Trophy winners forever, as Jabrill Peppers' could be as well this December. The name constantly made headlines and highlight reels for electrifying plays, as Peppers does. The name is in the Michigan football record books a handful of times, as Peppers already is.

Charles Woodson does not have many peers in Michigan football history when it comes to the impact he made on games from 1995 to 1997. But as Peppers stars on defense, dabbles on offense, flips the field on special teams and vaults his name into Heisman consideration, the comparisons become harder and harder to ignore.

Peppers, now a redshirt sophomore, said before he arrived at Michigan from Paramus (N.J.) Catholic that he wanted to be the best player in program history. The road to that title goes through Woodson, among others. Peppers was quick to credit the future Hall of Famer when a reporter brought him up, saying he didn't fully understand what an impact Woodson made until he started college football.

"Charles Woodson, if you just look at what he did for his teams, it's just mind-boggling," Peppers said. "In high school, I used to embrace all that. Now that I'm actually playing at this level, seeing what he's able to accomplish and do for his team, take away half the field, and people scared to throw at him — big-time plays in big-time moments."

Peppers used to love being considered in the same conversation. He admits he followed all of the media coverage while he was ranked as one of the top recruits in the nation during high school.

Now, in a much bigger spotlight as a Michigan star, Peppers says he tries to avoid the attention as much as he can.

"I found myself trying to … I wasn't happy with that," Peppers said. "I was trying to make everybody happy, trying to impress too many people, and then you're not happy. … Whatever people say about me, I appreciate it. You're watching, so I must be doing something right."

The biggest obstacle now is that the discussions are undeniable.

Peppers earns commendation from his head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who officially launched Peppers' Heisman campaign Oct. 8 at Rutgers after Peppers ran for two touchdowns as a wildcat quarterback. Two weeks earlier, Harbaugh delivered the understatement of the year when he smiled and said Peppers was "good at football."

He also draws praise from his teammates, including fifth-year senior offensive tackle Erik Magnuson, who called Peppers the best player he had ever seen. And he gets it from those who have been around him for years, such as Chris Partridge, Michigan's linebackers and special teams coordinator and Peppers' high school coach at Paramus Catholic.

By all accounts, the 21-year-old appears to manage it well.

"Jabrill was an All-American as a freshman in high school, so he's had, on a smaller scale, the same type of hype around him and the same things that have come to it," Partridge said. "He's able to handle it and focus, and the thing that Jabrill does best is he focuses on every play or every minute of a meeting like it's the most important thing. That's what makes him who he is."

Partridge said he has never seen a limit to Peppers' capacity, but Michigan keeps testing him. In the last game, Peppers played his most offense of the season. On one play, he even planned to throw the ball, an indication that more tricks may be yet to come.

Peppers still tries to augment his skill set, too. Tuesday in practice, Partridge said Peppers was sitting out for a play and watched former high school teammate and defensive end Rashan Gary make a move on the pass rush to get to the quarterback. Peppers went up to Gary after the play and asked if he could show him the move later.

"If he makes a mistake, for example, it's unbelievable," Partridge said. "Because if he makes a mistake, it's only going to happen once, probably in his whole life. He fixes it.

"He also tries to make sure his teammates don't make that same mistake. That's the type of player he is. So we've used him on offense as a decoy, and he might be dead tired because he just ran an 18-play drive (on defense), and then he goes in and he has to run a fake jet sweep or something. He's not getting the ball. He's running it 100 miles per hour. Your team sees that."

Peppers himself tries to stay humble — he said Tuesday he would give himself a C-minus for his performance in the first half of the season.

But as the season goes on, Peppers' numbers continue and the Heisman talks intensify, the connections between him and Woodson will only intensify, and Peppers doesn't deny his own ability. At one point Tuesday, he even indulged the temptation to compare.

"What I might agree with or where I might say I edge him is athleticism," Peppers said. "He's a little taller, rangier guy than I am. But I feel like if we was to race, if I was born back in the day, I probably feel like I would beat him in a race."

Maybe some comparisons are inevitable.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/football/jabrill-peppers-charles-woodson-michigan-chris-partridge-heisman

He has it all fellas. Read up on his story. He lost is brother early, his father was incarcerated. My point? Read where his head is at... He is a smart kid.. He is determined and humble... I wish he stays at Michigan but like I said early this summer. He is special.. Read..

No Diva here....
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Oct 21, 2016 at 7:38 AM ]

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Malik McDowell DL/OLB needs to be up there easily
Share 49ersWebzone