LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Carl Lawson DE / OLB Auburn

Carl Lawson could be the Myles Jack of this next draft. They're both superiour athletes who are fast, agile, flexible, have great balance, move gracefully... but both got bit by the injury bug.

Lawson might have a big enough red flag to get GMs to question whether he'll even be able to hold up in the NFL and its 16-game seasons. He already missed all of 2014 with an ACL tear, and he missed significant time with a hip injury. I think there were some others as well. The way athletes are retiring earlier these days, can you trust a guy like that to play through the pain after he gets paid? I have serious questions.

On the other hand, rehab'ing takes a ton of hard work just like keping in shape does, and Lawson is known for having a great work ethic. So maybe he'll prove some people wrong.

I didn't get the Carl I wanted last year (Nassib), so maybe the Niners will get this one.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 19, 2016 at 12:17 AM ]
Crazy how underrated this dude is. One of the best edge rushers in the draft, and this thread was in the void lol.

4.19 short shuttle Excellent first step off the line. The best hands of all edge rushers in the draft. Nobody does as good of a job keeping themselves clean as they turn the corner. Led his position groups with 35 reps. The guy is strong as hell.

and his signature stab-chop move is just so violent and nasty. He chops with bad intentions. Tunsil's wrist had to hurt for days after that one. Lawson flattens out immediately after the chop and shows the ability to bend around a sharp corner.

Short arms might lead him to slide in the draft, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab him. If people were okay with Melvin Ingram at Leo, then they should love Lawson.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Crazy how underrated this dude is. One of the best edge rushers in the draft, and this thread was in the void lol.

4.19 short shuttle Excellent first step off the line. The best hands of all edge rushers in the draft. Nobody does as good of a job keeping themselves clean as they turn the corner. Led his position groups with 35 reps. The guy is strong as hell.

and his signature chop move is just so violent and nasty. He chops with bad intentions. Tunsil's wrist had to hurt for days after that one.

Short arms might lead him to slide in the draft, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab him. If people were okay with Melvin Ingram at Leo, then they should love Lawson.

If we can pick up an extra 2nd by trading out of 2, I'd be ecstatic if we walk out of day 2 with Corey Davis (our 1st after trade back), Pat Mahomes (1st after using 3rd to trade up from 34), and Lawson (added 2nd in trade back).
Looks like he would fit great on our defense. Where could we get him at in the draft? Round 3?
Late 1st-2nd round is where i'd project him to go. He had issues with health early on, but he's managed to overcome those problems.

I love this guy. I can't get enough of his tape. Nobody throws more tackles on their ass than Carl Lawson. The guy is strong as an ox with hands of stone. I am sure opposing tackles spent a lot of time icing those wrists the day after they played Auburn.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
People are scarred from the Corey Lemonier experience
Not exactly beating up on chumps here. Seen him own Tunsil multiple times on tape.

Originally posted by FL9er:
People are scarred from the Corey Lemonier experience

People need to watch the tape because they're nothing alike. Lemonier never had any sort of hand technique nor was he as strong as Lawson. The only similarities they share is the uniform they wore in college.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM ]
Injuries have cost him a lot of momentum but I think he's got a great chance to be a super pro . Great burst off the edge
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

and his signature chop move is just so violent and nasty. He chops with bad intentions. Tunsil's wrist had to hurt for days after that one.

If we can pick up an extra 2nd by trading out of 2, I'd be ecstatic if we walk out of day 2 with Corey Davis (our 1st after trade back), Pat Mahomes (1st after using 3rd to trade up from 34), and Lawson (added 2nd in trade back).

Not a bad haul.
Graded out on PFF as the 3rd overall edge rusher

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yes sir!

I see him as a mid to late 2nd wouldn't mind moving back up to snag him...measurable's & injuries hurt him. He's a baller though
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone