LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

2017 QB draft class

If we pass on a QB this year and get rid of Kap looking ahead at the QBs for next season.

Deshaun Watson Clemson if you figure we win 6 or 7 games next year I don't think he will be there when we pick.

Brad Kayaa Miami not Impressed

Chad Kelly Missippi 6-2 215

CJ Beatherd Iowa 6-2 209

Josh Dobbs Tennessee 6-3 212

Gunner Kiel Cinncinatti 6-4 208 I think he will be a better pro than college QB.

Baker Mayfield Oklahoma 6-0 209

JT Barrett The Ohio State University 6-1 223 he's going to have 50 TDs this season and will probadly come out.

Which of these guys would you target for our franchise QB? I've seen a lot of Watson, Kiel and Barrett but haven't seen the rest.
Yuck. Get MD in here to change my mind, please.
Watson would be a stud in chips system...I all in on him in a trade up.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
CJ Beatherd and Gunner Kiel are probably the only two I'd consider.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Kiel would get injured walking up to the podium.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
If we pass on a QB this year and get rid of Kap looking ahead at the QBs for next season.

Deshaun Watson Clemson if you figure we win 6 or 7 games next year I don't think he will be there when we pick.

Brad Kayaa Miami not Impressed

Chad Kelly Missippi 6-2 215

CJ Beatherd Iowa 6-2 209

Josh Dobbs Tennessee 6-3 212

Gunner Kiel Cinncinatti 6-4 208 I think he will be a better pro than college QB.

Baker Mayfield Oklahoma 6-0 209

JT Barrett The Ohio State University 6-1 223 he's going to have 50 TDs this season and will probadly come out.

Which of these guys would you target for our franchise QB? I've seen a lot of Watson, Kiel and Barrett but haven't seen the rest.

Unless someone off the radar steps up, thats a sad list of QBs.

Had Goff and Lynch stayed in school they'd go in front of everyone but perhaps Watson.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Truth be told -- projecting a full year out on college QB prospects is a risky proposition. Nobody really has any idea what the QB class will look like. It could be terrible, it good be solid. Have to let it play out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Kiel would get injured walking up to the podium.

Like I said, I would consider them. All the rest of the QB's can take a hike.

Please don't say Mayfield, dude is a college passer that's about it. That Johnny Manziel running around crap won't work in the NFL. Chad Kelly is Ryan Leaf 2.0. Dobbs is a project, leaves the pocket way too early. Brad Kaaya is nothing special, IMO not even worth a 2nd round pick. CJ Beatherd is probably the closest thing to a starting QB, only he doesn't have much production to show for, his comp/pct is a bit of a red flag. As for JT Barrett, yes OSU looked better with Barrett behind Center, but again nothing that screams out 1st round pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by okdkid:
Truth be told -- projecting a full year out on college QB prospects is a risky proposition. Nobody really has any idea what the QB class will look like. It could be terrible, it good be solid. Have to let it play out.

I'm gonna disagree, we knew Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Jared Goff, Marcus Mariota would all be good prospect a year out from the draft. There is nothing special here. If anything the 2017 draft would be the draft to go defense.

I'm gonna disagree, we knew Matt Stafford, Andrew Luck, Jared Goff, Marcus Mariota would all be good prospect a year out from the draft. There is nothing special here. If anything the 2017 draft would be the draft to go defense.

Or RB

Please don't say Mayfield, dude is a college passer that's about it. That Johnny Manziel running around crap won't work in the NFL. Chad Kelly is Ryan Leaf 2.0. Dobbs is a project, leaves the pocket way too early. Brad Kaaya is nothing special, IMO not even worth a 2nd round pick. CJ Beatherd is probably the closest thing to a starting QB, only he doesn't have much production to show for, his comp/pct is a bit of a red flag. As for JT Barrett, yes OSU looked better with Barrett behind Center, but again nothing that screams out 1st round pick.

You don't like Watson? If for some reason we don't go QB this year and get some solid players at other positions, I'd be all in on him (unless Kap or Blaine blow it up some how).
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Or RB

Heck yah, I'd love to have Christian McAffery or Leonard Fournette as 49ers!!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:

You don't like Watson? If for some reason we don't go QB this year and get some solid players at other positions, I'd be all in on him (unless Kap or Blaine blow it up some how).

I'm just not buying the strong armed-athletic QB anymore, I much rather have a pocket passer.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Or RB

RB.

But its all about Myles Garrett.

Goff would be at worst the 2nd QB chosen in next years draft. If he is available at #7, they likely wont be able to get anyone better in next year's draft.
Share 49ersWebzone