LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 420 users in the forums

Late Round Qb's

Just curious if there are some qb's out there we could pick up in the 4th or later that would help out. Guys like Hackenberg, Driskel, or Travis Wilson.
Guy I really like as a backup/spot starter is Brandon Doughty, WKU. Great in an uptempo style offense. I'll post a few articles going more in depth on him.

IN OUR VIEW: A three-year starter in Western Kentucky's spread offense, Doughty was an ideal fit for the up-tempo scheme that relied on a quick release and smart decisions, making most of his reads pre-snap and identifying soft spots in coverage. He has improved functional pocket mobility and carries himself like a coach.

Doughty has an adequate arm, but relies on touch and timing over velocity and struggled to speed up his process vs. better competition on his schedule. He got away with some bad habits at the college level that he won't be able to in the NFL and although he's very impressive when in rhythm, it's the opposite when that rhythm is taken away.

He projects as a mid-to-late round prospect with the NFL ceiling of a backup, drawing some on-field comparisons to A.J. McCarron.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1765589/brandon-doughty

Conclusion
It is hard to find quarterbacks with the arm talent, football intelligence and confidence to develop into quality starters in the NFL. Thus, quarterbacks with any hint of potential deserve strong consideration in the draft. After taking a long, hard look at Doughty on tape and in person, I believe he is an intriguing developmental prospect with the potential to develop into a quality starter down the road. I believe he is best suited to play in a quick-rhythm offense that features a number of short and intermediate throws on the menu designed to take advantage of his quick release and superb decision-making skills. If I had to compare him to a current player, I would cite Ryan Fitzpatrick based on their similar skills as systematic playmakers. It might take a couple of years for him to develop into a capable starter, but he certainly possesses enough tools to warrant consideration as a borderline Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) prospect in the 2016 class.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000607022/article/wku-qb-brandon-doughty-shows-signs-of-pro-potential
getting a QB that is versatile enough to adapt to other systems is a plus, right now we need a QB that Travisty13 just described, but if Kelly doesn't work out, we'll more than likely change systems and have to find a new QB that fits the new system down the road , we aren't in dire need of a QB, but if a solid QB is starring at us right in the face (Goff, Wentz) ..we gotta pull the trigger , but mid round QB's need a lot of seasoning and time to develop , yeah Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder, Brady a 6th , but not every QB has such skills to thrive as quickly as those QB's ...But Doughty seems to fit the bill as the style of QB we will need , and if Kaeperknick and Gabbert are both still around next year, time for our new QB to grow is a luxury we WILL have
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
getting a QB that is versatile enough to adapt to other systems is a plus, right now we need a QB that Travisty13 just described, but if Kelly doesn't work out, we'll more than likely change systems and have to find a new QB that fits the new system down the road , we aren't in dire need of a QB, but if a solid QB is starring at us right in the face (Goff, Wentz) ..we gotta pull the trigger , but mid round QB's need a lot of seasoning and time to develop , yeah Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder, Brady a 6th , but not every QB has such skills to thrive as quickly as those QB's ...But Doughty seems to fit the bill as the style of QB we will need , and if Kaeperknick and Gabbert are both still around next year, time for our new QB to grow is a luxury we WILL have

Brandon Doughty played pretty s**tty in the shrine game (threw a couple picks) but I agree someone like him might be worth a late pick to learn chips offense if one of our starters get hurt.

We have like 4 6th round picks so I could live we spending one on him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Brandon Doughty played pretty s**tty in the shrine game (threw a couple picks) but I agree someone like him might be worth a late pick to learn chips offense if one of our starters get hurt.

Yeah didn't look good, but at the same time, he's a QB who's play is based on timing and quick decisions, got only a week to get that timing down with his WRs while learning a different system on offense. He had good practices leading up to the game though from what I've read. I still think the 2nd INT in the game was as much Allison as Doughty. He forced it in, but it looked like Allison had his hands on it and it got wrestled away.

Again, not saying he's a kid I want to be the starter. But he seems like just the type of QB that'd sit, learn, and if he had to would play well in spot duty in Chip's offense. And the 5th-6th round would be the perfect area to grab him.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah didn't look good, but at the same time, he's a QB who's play is based on timing and quick decisions, got only a week to get that timing down with his WRs while learning a different system on offense. He had good practices leading up to the game though from what I've read. I still think the 2nd INT in the game was as much Allison as Doughty. He forced it in, but it looked like Allison had his hands on it and it got wrestled away.

Again, not saying he's a kid I want to be the starter. But he seems like just the type of QB that'd sit, learn, and if he had to would play well in spot duty in Chip's offense. And the 5th-6th round would be the perfect area to grab him.

yup I agree with all of this
I don't know why, but I'm on the Kevin Hogan bandwagon as a 5/6/7 rd pick
I'm with you Kentc ,Phoenix has mentioned him as well at 5th round- solid pick! Maybe pick up Vernon Adams on a flyer in the 6th as the third deep QB.
Originally posted by kentc1978:
I don't know why, but I'm on the Kevin Hogan bandwagon as a 5/6/7 rd pick

me too. He is smart, accurate in the short range throws, ran a successful offense at Stanford, and is a great competitor. Could be something to develop and become a solid QB2.

My draft LOCK is Vernon Adams QB ORegon state drafted by chip kelly in round 4.
I like Brandon Allen from Arkansas as a late round qb. I like his accuracy. Check him out:

Originally posted by 9erred:
My draft LOCK is Vernon Adams QB ORegon state drafted by chip kelly in round 4.

"Lock"? Oregon State?
Share 49ersWebzone