LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 159 users in the forums

Dak Prescott

Doesn't the hiring of Chip put a guy like Prescott in play? He wouldn't have to be taken very early, and was once thought of as an early pick. Seems like a great developmental QB in a Kelly offense, no?
I agree. I've been very impressed by his development from a run-first QB to a pocket passer, similar to the way another Dan Mullen prospect developed (Cam Newton). He can push the ball to all levels of the field with accuracy and arm strength and he stands tough in the pocket. I like him as a 3rd rounder.
I'll draft this guy. I've seen him play a lot. And you're right, he transformed from a runner to pocket passer. He was preparing for NFL. If I'm desperate for a QB, I'll get him at 3rd round. But with Kaep and Gabbert in the mix, 4th round
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Doesn't the hiring of Chip put a guy like Prescott in play? He wouldn't have to be taken very early, and was once thought of as an early pick. Seems like a great developmental QB in a Kelly offense, no?

Murphys you and I are driving the Dak Prescott bandwagon lol. Had Chip not been hired I wouldn't be quite as high on him, but I think he fits Kelly's system like a glove. He could be a good fall back in case Kap/Gabbert fail.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
I'll draft this guy. I've seen him play a lot. And you're right, he transformed from a runner to pocket passer. He was preparing for NFL. If I'm desperate for a QB, I'll get him at 3rd round. But with Kaep and Gabbert in the mix, 4th round

4th would would be perfect. Then if Kap and Gabbert bottomed out likeI said in the thread above he could (ppotentially) pay big dividends.
Remind me...wasn't he, at one time, for a month or so, considered the best QB in college. I think it was 2014.
I've watched plenty of Dak and I don't thing he's special. He could develop into a starter, but his ability to throw from the pocket is very average. His mobility and intangibles are a positive. Guys respond to him, so the leadership factor works in his favor as well.
He's a poor man's Cam, with less arm talent. Can
Took off an never looked back. Chip's offense is a great fit for Dak, so I wouldn't rule out the pick
Probably going to weigh value in Prescott vs Adams as a project QB.
Originally posted by strickac:
I've watched plenty of Dak and I don't thing he's special. He could develop into a starter, but his ability to throw from the pocket is very average. His mobility and intangibles are a positive. Guys respond to him, so the leadership factor works in his favor as well.

Do you think he's improved from '14 to '15? Who would you compare his arm strength to? How much growth have you seen in reading the defense in his intelligence?

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by strickac:

Do you think he's improved from '14 to '15? Who would you compare his arm strength to? How much growth have you seen in reading the defense in his intelligence?

I can't speak to anything in the 2014. I was out of the country and missed the season.

As for Dak, his arm strength is average. It's adequate. He's a one-read and throw QB. His ball placement is pretty good when he is stationary, but he's always on the move and doesn't consistently set his feet before the throw.

He was a run-first guy in college, but that was the zone-read system he played in. He was very effective running the ball. He's powerful and relatively elusive running, but it won't quite translate to the NFL.

Overall, I think he fits Chip's offense about like Tebow did. His ability to run adds another wrinkle to the offense and he'll be able to make the quick throws that are often called. Going through his reads and hitting the downfield passes are going to limit him early in his career. He'll need to learn to stand in the pocket longer and stop scrambling so often, which hinders his accuracy.

In Chip's offense, he's not a bad fit though.
[ Edited by strickac on Jan 23, 2016 at 6:08 AM ]
So...mid rounds--Prescott or Vernon Adams?
He sucks
Originally posted by Murphys1:
So...mid rounds--Prescott or Vernon Adams?

Im not too fond of either of them but I would easily take Prescott.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I personally believe that Chip will have one of those confidential Film Study by himself late at night at Santa Clara, and just watch Prescott's wonderful 2014 season..
Share 49ersWebzone