LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2016 Mock Draft V2.0

Okay, time for an update as the prospects as well as team needs have gotten a little clearer. Its going to be hard to address all of the team needs in one offseason. I don't believe that they should attempt to do it either, I think its going to take more time to put it all together but what they need now is impact players, people who can come in and contribute as well as developing a QB for the future. With that in mind, this is what I came up with.

Round 1-Jaylon Smith-6'3", 230-ILB-Notre Dame. The same pick as before. I'm not changing it because I don't think this teams needs have changed for what he brings to the football field. Looking at some of the other teams and their schedules, I don't feel like the 49ers will be in range for guys like Nkemdiche or Tunsil but they should be in a primo spot to draft Smith. He's a plug and play prospect, a guy who can be the starter in the very first game next season. Smith gives you a guy with similar football instincts to someone like Chris Borland but with far superior athleticism and speed. He is a three down linebacker that is an outstanding tackler, can drop back into coverage and brings tremendous sideline to sideline speed and explosiveness. He has a very versatile and could be moved around all over the defense to wreak havoc on opposing offenses. The sort of instant impact player that the defense could use.

Round 2-Carson Wentz-6'5", 230-QB-North Dakota State. The 49ers are going to need a QB in this draft and Wentz is the best of the second tier of QB's. He's drawn a lot of praise for his mechanics, despite playing in a spread offense he's shown the ability to be decisive, go through his progressions and get passes out accurately under pressure. He has shown the ability to make a wide variety of throws with the arm strength to get the ball downfield. As big as he is, he's also super mobile, moves around well in the pocket and has the ability to take off and run if needed. He's a QB prospect worth developing, a guy that could sit behind Gabbert for a season or two as he adjusts to the NFL game. A wrist injury sidelined him for most of his senior season but I expect him to do well in the offseason and solidify himself as a late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder.

Round 3-Joe Haeg-6'5", 310-OT-North Dakota State. Keeping this pick the same as well along with going back to back with NDSU picks. Haeg has been absolutely phenomenal over the past two seasons. A quick on his feet tackle that simply does not give up sacks, if he was playing at Alabama or Oklahoma he'd be talked about as a potential 1st rounder. I think the offseason might help him move up further than this but for now, this is my pick. At this point in the draft he is good value, an experienced guy that could be a starter at right tackle at the next level. Compared to Pears, Haeg is far better suited to deal with speed rushers. He needs to add some weight overall but he's a very intriguing tackle prospect that has played on both the right and left sides.

Round 4-Christian Westerman-6'4", 305-OG-ASU. Westerman, like Haeg, is another super athletic lineman with great feet and movement ability and beast level strength. Watch for him to dominate the bench press at the Combine. He'd be a nice addition to compete for a starting spot at guard. He originally started off at Auburn but found his way to ASU and has done a very good job as a starter over the past 2 seasons.

Round 4(Comp)-Devonte Fields-6'5", 250-DE-Louisville. Another previous pick, Fields is having a decent season, a super talented player that got kicked off the TCU team, he's managed to keep himself out of trouble at Louisville. Very athletic, great first step, a guy that could be a very good addition if he puts it all together and finds some consistency. True first round level talent that is worth a look here even in spite of the character issues.

Round 5-Eric Murray-5'11", 190-CB-Minnesota. Under the radar prospect that is very intriguing, a guy who doesn't have gaudy stats but is rarely out of position, very intelligent with good awareness, picks up on receivers tendencies and does a good job against the run. He'd be valuable depth at CB and could challenge for a starter spot.

Round 5(Chargers)-DJ Foster-5'10", 200-RB/WR-ASU. Foster is a very unique prospect, an explosive RB that the Sun Devils moved to WR this season. He can be a nice explosive passing threat out of the backfield. He could move up a bit with a good offseason but currently I see this as being a good spot for him.

Round 6(Dallas)-Matt Ioannidis-6'3", 290-DE/NT-Temple. Ioannidis is a very versatile DL prospect with a non-stop motor. He's having a very good season for Temple, as big as he is he plays with very good quickness and is completely relentless. He'd be a replacement for TJE on the DL.

Round 6(Denver)-Keyarris Garrett-WR-6'3", 225-Tulsa. Big, physical receiver that could make for an excellent threat in the red zone. Has had a litany of injury issues but is worth taking a flyer on at this point in the draft. Adds more of a dimension that this team is currently lacking with his height and strength. A nice long striding vertical threat with great leaping ability.

Round 6(Comp)-Brad Craddock-6'0", 190-K-Maryland. A kicker to potentially replace Dawson. Craddock has handled both punting and kicking duties at times this year for Maryland.

Like the draft, especially the Fields pick.
Im just not sure how I feel about taking two NDSU players in the first 3 rounds.

To be fair, I haven't watched much tape on both. Will be doing that here shortly.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Like the draft, especially the Fields pick.
Im just not sure how I feel about taking two NDSU players in the first 3 rounds.

To be fair, I haven't watched much tape on both. Will be doing that here shortly.

They play at NDSU but both have premier talent. I wasn't specifically going after NDSU guys but both are excellent prospects in their their own right. Haeg is a guy that I've liked for a long time while the team's need for a QB to develop has become more urgent, Wentz meanwhile is a top QB prospect, the best guy available from the 2nd round onwards IMO.

"First time I saw Carson was his junior year and my first thought was why the heck is he here? Why isn't he at Ohio State or Alabama? But credit the Bison coaches for seeing something and developing him. I like the arm talent, the size obviously stands out and he's shown the ability to think on his feet and make the spontaneous decision. You see a lot of traits that says he can start in our league" – AFC North scout

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25363115/meet-the-prospect-north-dakota-state-qb-carson-wentz

"Joe has the feet of a dancer out there, setting up and cutting off rushers with his natural quicks. He's also bigger than I thought. Definitely shows skills that we can work with on our team." – NFC East scout

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25288078/meet-the-prospect-north-dakota-state-left-tackle-joe-haeg
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:27 PM ]
Good draft dude.
Overall very nice draft..of course love the jaylon pick..not very familiar with wentz or Haeg..but love the westerman fields foster and garret picks..do you think maybe a cook or hackenberg will fall to the 2nd bc I'd be willing to trade a 4th or 5th to grab 1 of them instead..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Overall very nice draft..of course love the jaylon pick..not very familiar with wentz or Haeg..but love the westerman fields foster and garret picks..do you think maybe a cook or hackenberg will fall to the 2nd bc I'd be willing to trade a 4th or 5th to grab 1 of them instead..

Not a fan of Hackenberg in the least. I think Wentz is a better pro prospect. Cook likely ends up going in the 1st.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Not a fan of Hackenberg in the least. I think Wentz is a better pro prospect. Cook likely ends up going in the 1st.

I agree too that cook will most likely go in the 1st..but again nice draft..Garret is prob my fav pic for a sleeper..he reminds me of Alshon Jeffery..other then jaylons pick of course..
An excellent mock draft. Let's not fool ourselves here, NDSU might be a 1aa (fcs) school but they are a powerhouse that could defeat most squads in the mountain west, sunbelt, cusa, mac and the bottom feeders in the power 5.

As long as a player can play and make an impact at the next level I do not care what school they are from. I think everyone in the zone can agree on that.
Nice draft
Looks good

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Okay, time for an update as the prospects as well as team needs have gotten a little clearer. Its going to be hard to address all of the team needs in one offseason. I don't believe that they should attempt to do it either, I think its going to take more time to put it all together but what they need now is impact players, people who can come in and contribute as well as developing a QB for the future. With that in mind, this is what I came up with.

Round 1-Jaylon Smith-6'3", 230-ILB-Notre Dame. The same pick as before. I'm not changing it because I don't think this teams needs have changed for what he brings to the football field. Looking at some of the other teams and their schedules, I don't feel like the 49ers will be in range for guys like Nkemdiche or Tunsil but they should be in a primo spot to draft Smith. He's a plug and play prospect, a guy who can be the starter in the very first game next season. Smith gives you a guy with similar football instincts to someone like Chris Borland but with far superior athleticism and speed. He is a three down linebacker that is an outstanding tackler, can drop back into coverage and brings tremendous sideline to sideline speed and explosiveness. He has a very versatile and could be moved around all over the defense to wreak havoc on opposing offenses. The sort of instant impact player that the defense could use.

Round 2-Carson Wentz-6'5", 230-QB-North Dakota State. The 49ers are going to need a QB in this draft and Wentz is the best of the second tier of QB's. He's drawn a lot of praise for his mechanics, despite playing in a spread offense he's shown the ability to be decisive, go through his progressions and get passes out accurately under pressure. He has shown the ability to make a wide variety of throws with the arm strength to get the ball downfield. As big as he is, he's also super mobile, moves around well in the pocket and has the ability to take off and run if needed. He's a QB prospect worth developing, a guy that could sit behind Gabbert for a season or two as he adjusts to the NFL game. A wrist injury sidelined him for most of his senior season but I expect him to do well in the offseason and solidify himself as a late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder.

Round 3-Joe Haeg-6'5", 310-OT-North Dakota State. Keeping this pick the same as well along with going back to back with NDSU picks. Haeg has been absolutely phenomenal over the past two seasons. A quick on his feet tackle that simply does not give up sacks, if he was playing at Alabama or Oklahoma he'd be talked about as a potential 1st rounder. I think the offseason might help him move up further than this but for now, this is my pick. At this point in the draft he is good value, an experienced guy that could be a starter at right tackle at the next level. Compared to Pears, Haeg is far better suited to deal with speed rushers. He needs to add some weight overall but he's a very intriguing tackle prospect that has played on both the right and left sides.

Round 4-Christian Westerman-6'4", 305-OG-ASU. Westerman, like Haeg, is another super athletic lineman with great feet and movement ability and beast level strength. Watch for him to dominate the bench press at the Combine. He'd be a nice addition to compete for a starting spot at guard. He originally started off at Auburn but found his way to ASU and has done a very good job as a starter over the past 2 seasons.

Round 4(Comp)-Devonte Fields-6'5", 250-DE-Louisville. Another previous pick, Fields is having a decent season, a super talented player that got kicked off the TCU team, he's managed to keep himself out of trouble at Louisville. Very athletic, great first step, a guy that could be a very good addition if he puts it all together and finds some consistency. True first round level talent that is worth a look here even in spite of the character issues.

Round 5-Eric Murray-5'11", 190-CB-Minnesota. Under the radar prospect that is very intriguing, a guy who doesn't have gaudy stats but is rarely out of position, very intelligent with good awareness, picks up on receivers tendencies and does a good job against the run. He'd be valuable depth at CB and could challenge for a starter spot.

Round 5(Chargers)-DJ Foster-5'10", 200-RB/WR-ASU. Foster is a very unique prospect, an explosive RB that the Sun Devils moved to WR this season. He can be a nice explosive passing threat out of the backfield. He could move up a bit with a good offseason but currently I see this as being a good spot for him.

Round 6(Dallas)-Matt Ioannidis-6'3", 290-DE/NT-Temple. Ioannidis is a very versatile DL prospect with a non-stop motor. He's having a very good season for Temple, as big as he is he plays with very good quickness and is completely relentless. He'd be a replacement for TJE on the DL.

Round 6(Denver)-Keyarris Garrett-WR-6'3", 225-Tulsa. Big, physical receiver that could make for an excellent threat in the red zone. Has had a litany of injury issues but is worth taking a flyer on at this point in the draft. Adds more of a dimension that this team is currently lacking with his height and strength. A nice long striding vertical threat with great leaping ability.

Round 6(Comp)-Brad Craddock-6'0", 190-K-Maryland. A kicker to potentially replace Dawson. Craddock has handled both punting and kicking duties at times this year for Maryland.

Love the pick of Jaylon Smith the guy has a nose for the ball!! Impact player bar none! Get him period!
Phoenix I'm in love with this draft, I've been on the Jaylon Smith bandwagon since beginning of the season.

I love Wentz, I can see some team doing what the Vikes did in 2014, trade into end of rd 1, get him, and control him for 5 years, since 1st rd picks get a 5th yr option, where a 2nd rd pick gets 4 yrs, and then is a FA. Love Haeg.

Don't be fooled by NDSU, they play a tough schedule, and produce every year.

Big fan of Westerman, Murray, and Fields.

I would be happy as hell with this draft.

Oh, we should get a 5th rd comp pick for losing Perrish Cox, and 2 6ths(Gore and Skuta) in addition to the 4th rd pick.
Love love your first two picks I have wentz as my third QB and I think having him hold the clip board for a year would be good...smith is a straight up football player and were we currently are he should be there.

I like the Fields pick as well...overall I'd be a happy man with this draft.
Phoenix for GM

What/Who would you play for in FA?
[ Edited by AUniner on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:34 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Nice draft Phoenix, but you know the name of the game. GMs never draft the fans draft crush.
Share 49ersWebzone