LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

2016 49ers Draft Needs - What Will Be Our #1 Need?

2016 49ers Draft Needs - What Will Be Our #1 Need?

Week 1 in the books and I will say CB/S's should not be a high need for next year. We should be fine for the future with Brock, Johnson, Acker, Ward, Reaser, Reid and Tartt. Clearly to me OLB (pass rusher) or G/T should be our #1/#2 pick next year. Possibly WR if Boldin isn't back. ILB is a big need if we want to upgrade over Wilhoite but it's better going round 2/3 for ILB unless someone special drops to us.

Projected Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4(Comp), 5, 5(SD), 5(Comp), 6, 6(DAL), 6(Comp), 7 = 12

Assuming we get the 4, 5 and 6 for comp picks: 1.OLB 2.G/T 3.WR 4.ILB 4.WR 5.TE 5.QB 5.OL 6.RB 6.DL 6.CB 7.K/OL/ILB/?

That being said don't expect us to keep all 12 picks. We will have to keep the comps but that means we can trade the other 4, 5 and 6 to move up in rounds are trade them for 2017 picks a round higher if we can find someone willing to do that.

Potential High Needs:

1. OLB - Lynch is the future on one side is Harold that guy on the other? If Brooks is gone to save money after this year (we know Lemonier will be gone soon) we will need at least 1 OLB in the draft. Could be anywhere from round 1 (starter) through the mid rounds (if a #3/4 is needed).

2. OL - Staley should have a few more years in him but I'm worried about RT if Pears or Brown can't lock that down. Will Davis be back and in what shape? We have more guard depth than tackle depth. Will Boone be back at LG? We might take a tackle high but we could also take a guard/tackle combo.

3. WR - Smith will be our #1 but will Boldin re-sign and be our #2? Smelter should be back and be our #3 or 4. Simpson could be our #3 or 4 since he is signed through next year. Patton probably wont be with us next year (and maybe part of this year). If Boldin isn't back it could be as high as a 1st or 2nd round need. If he is maybe someone in the mid to late rounds for one of the last spots.

4. ILB - We need to upgrade over Wilhoite. Someone younger, cheaper and faster (better coverage). Wilhoite should be re-signed to be a long term backup. I'm not a fan of 1st round LB's unless they are special. Round 2 or 3 should do fine.

5. TE - This will depend on if Davis is back. If he is it probably isn't a need with Bell #2, McDonald #3 as the blocker. If Davis isn't back then Bell is probably #1, McDonald #2 and Busta Anderson/Celek if they are still around could be 3. Probably turns into a mid round need. Maybe round 3-4.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:22 AM ]
i think we need to take a step back and draft as follows:
1. top right tackle
2. top right guard(would have to move back into the 1st round)
3.cb
4. ilb
All depends on players progression this yr and then who is resigned and let go and signed in free agency..lots of picks where they can easily go up and get who they target..
If Patton and Ellington show nothing we may need to take a hard look at WR.
I put a poll up too guys so don't be afraid to vote as well as respond.

jreff, They are defiantly the wild cards. Those guys start doing what they are capable of and between them, Smith, maybe Simpson and then if Smelter plays how we think we can then WR isn't too big of a need even if Boldin retires which I doubt he does. Those 2 guys don't do anything then maybe we take a look at a mid round guy to go with Smith, Boldin? Smelter and Simpson. Heck, maybe even a 1st-2nd rounder to take over for Boldin or even Simpson in a year or 2. I just want to hit on a wr finally. All those great wr's these past 3-4 years and we haven't hit on one yet. We need to just buckle down and take one in round 1 or 2 that was productive in college even if they aren't the fastest guy. Need a sure thing at wr not more boom or busts. I guess that's why we signed Smith in FA since we can't develop wrs and are better at developing other areas. Take positions you are good at developing like CB, S, LB, DL mid to later if you want and sign the studs in FA for positions you aren't as good at developing like WR. So maybe if Boldin retires and since we have all this money maybe we should sign another stud WR if we let Boone and/or Davis go.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 24, 2015 at 6:11 PM ]
impossible to say before this season even starts with so many question marks on the roster, but probably OL - even if the unit plays well, I don't think Boone will be back
I'll always go with BPA but for the sake of answering the question I'll go with ILB. QB is also high on my list.
Definitely OL
OL - RT/RG
ILB
WR
Pass blocking lineman. Tackle, guard or center don't care

• mayo49
  • Veteran
OLB, we have no pass rush. WR would be second.
I figured last year there was a good shot we would take a cb since it had been like 12 years since we took one in the first. Not that it matters with different gm's but just going on that trend seems like it's a OL year. We haven't taken a OL in the 1st since Davis and Iupati in 2010. Staley is 30 and signed with us for 4 more years after this one so he should be with us as long as he wants to play. On the other side though will Anthony Davis be back and will he be in shape? Can Pears (who is only signed for 2 years and is 33) lock down the RT spot or can Trent Brown be the future? Between Thomas, Martin, Looney (FA after this year), Brown we should have at least RG covered but will we have a LG if Boone leaves? Will we have our RT?

2009: WR
2010: T, G
2011: OLB
2012: WR
2013: FS
2014: CB/S
2015: Seems we are do for a tackle, guard, ILB or maybe even a TE

I could be persuaded to go WR or OLB but we are probably better off signing a WR in free agency since we cant develop them. OLB could be as well depending on Harold's play and also will Brooks be around long term? Tackle or guard are starting to climb the list and could end up being our #1 pick. Hopefully, it's near the end of round 1 but if it's early/mid we could probably trade down and pick up a 3rd, etc and still get a RT or the best guard since we wont likely need a LT (staley).
I'm thinking a QB maybe need if Kap doesn't have a very good year....I'd like to see a high pick on a good CB ...I see alot of people wanting O-linemen not to sure why we spent some high picks on tha line so let them play and develop....
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I see alot of people wanting O-linemen not to sure why we spent some high picks on tha line so let them play and develop....

Since 2010 taking Davis and Iupati in the 1st.

Silberman - 6th
Brown - 7th

Martin - 3rd
Thomas - 3rd

Bykowski - 7th (GONE)

Looney - 4th
Slowey - 6th (GONE)

Kilgore - 5th

I assume you're referring to Thomas and Martin but other than that we aren't investing that much into the OL. I guess you could say 2 3's is high but I wouldn't especially considering Thomas was the last pick in the 3rd. That being said I can understand wanting to see how they play out as well as Brown before taking another OL. I'm more concerned about RT and if Pears/Brown can lock that down more than I am guard since I think between Thomas and Martin and then Looney (if re-signed) we should be ok at LG/RG for awhile yet. A lot will depend on if Davis is back too and in what shape.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 25, 2015 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I see alot of people wanting O-linemen not to sure why we spent some high picks on tha line so let them play and develop....

Since 2010 taking Davis and Iupati in the 1st.

Silberman - 6th
Brown - 7th

Martin - 3rd
Thomas - 3rd

Bykowski - 7th (GONE)

Looney - 4th
Slowey - 6th (GONE)

Kilgore - 5th

I assume you're referring to Thomas and Martin but other than that we aren't investing that much into the OL. I guess you could say 2 3's is high but I wouldn't especially considering Thomas was the last pick in the 3rd. That being said I can understand wanting to see how they play out as well as Brown before taking another OL. I'm more concerned about RT and if Pears/Brown can lock that down more than I am guard since I think between Thomas and Martin and then Looney (if re-signed) we should be ok at LG/RG for awhile yet. A lot will depend on if Davis is back too and in what shape.

I just hate how just about everyone around here is if a player doesn't play now and doesnt play at pro bowl level they're a bust ...Let players develop even Montana and Rice had bad yrs in tha beginning but was able to develop and a Hall of Famers....
Share 49ersWebzone