LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Who's the Best QB in College Football?

I know it's super early, but I think there's a clear-cut best QB in college football right now, and it's Connor Cook.

I have far more confidence in Connor Cook than I do in Jared Goff or Hackenberg right now. Cook just seems fluid in his movements, and he gets rid of the ball really quickly. The other two seem to hold on to it longer. Cook simply looks more accurate too.

All three of these guys have a ton of potential IMO, but wen I watch Goff I get the same feeling as I did when I watched Matt Stafford at Georgia. He just seems like he's not extremely confident in his decisions. He also seems like he relies too heavily on safe passes; nobody wants their QB to become an Alex Smith / Sam Bradford kind of dink & dunker IMO.

Hackenberg is just a little raw. He could surpass 'em both, but he has a ways to go. Right now I'd go with Cook.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM ]
QBS that run a spread "air raid" offense like Goff need a few years to transition to a pro style offense. There is something there in Cook, but I am still hoping to see him take another step forward this year.
Deshaun Watson from Clemson if he can come back 100% healthy and stay healthy. He beat South Carolina last year 35-17 while playing the entire game on a torn ACL, and then he had surgery and skipped the bowl game. Supposedly back all the way now and cleared to practice once August hits. Only a true sophomore, though. Finished the season with a 188.57 QB rating, ahead of Mariota and everyone else, though he didn't have enough snaps to qualify (he didn't start until the fourth game and missed a couple of games with injuries). Great accuracy, can make every throw, and can run when he wants. Nice, fluid athlete with a great arm. Mature beyond his years and surrounded by serious weapons going into this season (though OL is less strong).

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Best College QB? - the kid from TCU

Best Pro Prospect? - the kid from Penn State

Most Intriguing?? - Cardale Jones
Originally posted by 9moon:

Best Pro Prospect? - the kid from Penn State

That's what I was getting at. Best pro' prospect.

Why do you think Hackenberg is a better pro' prospect than Cook or Goff?
Another thing I like about Cook is that he seems like he's still looking to throw the ball under pressure rather than just trying to escape the pressure. That' not a common trait amongst college QBs (even with the top ones). Wish the QB on the 49ers could focus on 2 things like that.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 27, 2015 at 9:01 AM ]
It's a crappy group all around to me
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I saw Michigan State played about 6 times last year, and I think that Cook is over hyped.. Just like the Redskins (Cousins) and Tennessee's (Mettenberger) both looks good when they go 7 on 7, but they fold once there are DL rushing..

.. I like Goff, I like him a lot, but I think overall, Hackenberg just have that NFL aura in him..
Originally posted by lamontb:

Whom would you rather have? Marcus Mariota or your pick from this upcoming class?

Goff has all the tools. I know they will say he plays in a gimmick offense but he is more than that. 35 Tds to 7 INTs last year
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Whom would you rather have? Marcus Mariota or your pick from this upcoming class?

I have to agree with the appearance that no one QB sticks out. With this group I can see Cody Kessler looking like a NFL QB, and I don't believe he should be picked until the fourth. No one atm looks like a first rounder.
Well Ronnie Lott just had some high praise for Jared Goff saying he's not just the best QB in college but also better than both Kaepernick and Derek Carr.
I don't watch college ball but I found that very interesting.
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Well Ronnie Lott just had some high praise for Jared Goff saying he's not just the best QB in college but also better than both Kaepernick and Derek Carr.
I don't watch college ball but I found that very interesting.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Only saw Goff played 3 times last year.. there were moment that he'll reminded me of Aaron Rodgers and Jake Plummer.. but overall, the kid is a much taller DREW BREES..

so if you like Drew, then it'll be up to you where he must be drafted.
Share 49ersWebzone