LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Baalke and Coaching staff have confidence in Redshirt players, and so do I.

Thus far the 49ers have draftted ony 1 position where they have redshirted players DE Arik Armstead and they are gambling the becomes an monster. So far they have drafted DE, S, OLB, TE, RB and WR. In the past they have drafted DE, CB, FB and OG and redshirted them. The bit that I did see of these guys during the preaseason ore when they became healthy Carridine, Okoye and Acker, I liked what I saw.

Past Redshirted players:

DE: Carridine, Okoye, Kaleb Ramsey

CB: Kenneth Acker, Keith Reaser

FB: Trey Millard

OG: Brandon Thomas

I believe their goal in this draft is to get IMPACT players, being that there were few surefire playmakers at where they were picking. The alternative is going the safe pick and drafting a player that the 49ers believe to be equal to what they currently have on their roster. That means unless the player they draft is a CLEARLY SIGNIFICANT upgrade they are not drafting them. (WR: Patton, Ellington and Simpson. Is any first round WR at pick #17 SIGNFICANTLY BETTER than those aforementioned guys? OG/OT is anybody in round 1,2,3 SIGNFICANTLY BETTER than Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin?)

RD 1- DE Arik Armstead- no Safety on roster has the POTENTIAL to bat down passes, contain Russell Wilson, get sacks or occupy 2 men. (Yes. A gamble)
RD 2- S Jaquiski Tartt- no Safety on roster a hybrid LB/S who can cover TE Jimmy Graham and blast Marshawn Lynch (Reid can, but concussions issues)
RD 3- OLB- no OLB on the roster as fast, who can possible track and/or conatin Russel Wilson
RD 4- TE- McDonald looks like a bust, Blake Bell's nickname "BellDozer" let's you know he'll get dirty and put his nose in there.
RD 4- RB- Mike Davis, gambled on a out of shape RB who could become one of the best RB's from this draft.
RD 4- REDSHIRT- Why redshirt pick? There is not a player that they can feel that is a significant upgrade on their roster.

Positions of need ILB, OT/Swing tackle the 49ers are basiclly saying, why draft an ILB if they aren't a signficant upgrade over Nick Moody? Why draft a back up tacklet if they aren't a significant upgrade over Alex Boone or Erik Pears? They also picked up veteran LB Phillip Wheeler who they will cover them for a year and play on the inside. I beleive that next year they will address their ILB positoin and possible draft the best one available and move up to do so like they did when they drafted Eric Reid.

I like the 49ers draft philosophy; stay put and draft BPA (Jimmie Ward), move up if not too expensive and draft your targeted players (Eric Reid) or Swing for the fences on a player you believe to have the potential to be a unique, dynamic game changer. In addition trust your young players and Redshirt players if they showed something in Preseason and show continued improvement during the off season. Don't draft a position of need if that player has a limited celing. Better to sign youngish cheap veterans w/potential to improve and draft high ceiling football players or Redshirt/injured players.
GB...love your post. There's definite value in red-shirting players...just look at last year's: Brandon Thomas, should be our starting LG this season. CB's Reaser and Acker both have a good shot at making the roster in 2015. Ditto Trey Millard, one of those "Swiss Army Knife" kind of players coaches love to death.

Armstead will be coached up, pumped up (weight room), then groomed to play and take over Justin Smith's spot. As Mike Mayock's said his upside is off the charts.

Love the Tartt pick...all he did was turn a ton of heads at the Senior Bowl. Hard for a small school player to do, but he did. He's big, fast and hits like a freight train...a guy who could become the Niner version of Kam Chancellor.

Harold was a steal in the 3rd rd...one of the best PR in this draft and will play with a chip on his shoulder.

Bell was a necessary pick...because after Vernon (in arguably his last yr w/Niners) and Carrier, there's little receiving talent at the TE position. Bell has excellent hands and size, but will need to be coached up WRT blocking.

Davis is a baller...almost identical dimensions to Gore. I'll take an SEC RB any day because they're battle-tested.

Smelter may this year's RS candidate...tore his ACL late in the season, but you have to be excited about this kid. Big, strong, fast, he's got it all. Daniel Jerimiah (NFL-N) said he reminds him of Boldin & Mayock agreed.

Scratching my head a bit WRT the P Pinion pick...is there something wrong w/Lee we don't know about? I'll be interested to hear Baalke's reasoning for picking him.

Love the big BC OT Silberman...that school's known for producing NFL-caliber OL.

3 more 7th rd picks to go...I can already hear the whiners complaining about no CB or ILB yet. Yikes.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing ekpre-olumu the cb from oregon as a redshirt. Guy looked good at Oregon before tearing his acl before playing Florida state
[ Edited by Stealthduner on May 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
GB...love your post. There's definite value in red-shirting players...just look at last year's: Brandon Thomas, should be our starting LG this season. CB's Reaser and Acker both have a good shot at making the roster in 2015. Ditto Trey Millard, one of those "Swiss Army Knife" kind of players coaches love to death.

Armstead will be coached up, pumped up (weight room), then groomed to play and take over Justin Smith's spot. As Mike Mayock's said his upside is off the charts.

Love the Tartt pick...all he did was turn a ton of heads at the Senior Bowl. Hard for a small school player to do, but he did. He's big, fast and hits like a freight train...a guy who could become the Niner version of Kam Chancellor.

Harold was a steal in the 3rd rd...one of the best PR in this draft and will play with a chip on his shoulder.

Bell was a necessary pick...because after Vernon (in arguably his last yr w/Niners) and Carrier, there's little receiving talent at the TE position. Bell has excellent hands and size, but will need to be coached up WRT blocking.

Davis is a baller...almost identical dimensions to Gore. I'll take an SEC RB any day because they're battle-tested.

Smelter may this year's RS candidate...tore his ACL late in the season, but you have to be excited about this kid. Big, strong, fast, he's got it all. Daniel Jerimiah (NFL-N) said he reminds him of Boldin & Mayock agreed.

Scratching my head a bit WRT the P Pinion pick...is there something wrong w/Lee we don't know about? I'll be interested to hear Baalke's reasoning for picking him.

Love the big BC OT Silberman...that school's known for producing NFL-caliber OL.

3 more 7th rd picks to go...I can already hear the whiners complaining about no CB or ILB yet. Yikes.

Excellent post!!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Tank is going take over for Justin Smith.
[ Edited by Hopper on May 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM ]
Baalke is sticking with his guys, no shock there.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Excellent post!!

If we are going to draft and develop for future needs we need teachers as coaches. Hopefully we have that and guys we selected absorb the knowledge
  • REB4
Being that not one has made an impact since they got here, it's more like wishful thinking. If you have an elite team & there's little chance of any rookies making the team, then you can afford to stockpile redshirts. But this isn't an elite team anymore & we needed to have IMPACT players this year to have a chance to even make the playoffs this year, let alone go to the Super Bowl. Tank Carradine is a perfect example. Players can't control their injuries, but the fact that he DIDN'T EVEN LEARN the playook in 2 1/2 years is UNACCEPTABLE! And who was his position coach that failed to coach him up? Now why would these projects fair any better with that same position coach now being the head coach?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Excellent post!!

Agree with all of this.
Originally posted by REB4:
Being that not one has made an impact since they got here, it's more like wishful thinking. If you have an elite team & there's little chance of any rookies making the team, then you can afford to stockpile redshirts. But this isn't an elite team anymore & we needed to have IMPACT players this year to have a chance to even make the playoffs this year, let alone go to the Super Bowl. Tank Carradine is a perfect example. Players can't control their injuries, but the fact that he DIDN'T EVEN LEARN the playook in 2 1/2 years is UNACCEPTABLE! And who was his position coach that failed to coach him up? Now why would these projects fair any better with that same position coach now being the head coach?

LOL, what are you talking about? Tank was our most disruptive DL in the last 3 games. Dial has been a valuable and versatile role player on the DL. Lattimore is the only one that we know won't pan out, as the other picks were only drafted (and stashed) last year.

So much anger on the WZ these days, lol.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:

LOL, what are you talking about? Tank was our most disruptive DL in the last 3 games. Dial has been a valuable and versatile role player on the DL. Lattimore is the only one that we know won't pan out, as the other picks were only drafted (and stashed) last year.

So much anger on the WZ these days, lol.

Seriously, Don't count out Tank yet. We had so many injured players last year and yet we ranked 5th in defense.

There is something wrong with Andy Lee. It's the amount of money he is paid.
sick of seeing red shirt drafts, baalke needs to grow balls and draft an impact WR.... what a p***y

tHIS IS the best AND most accurate pOST this month so far. i AGREE WITH you
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
sick of seeing red shirt drafts, baalke needs to grow balls and draft an impact WR.... what a p***y

I afreakingGREE with you!! I wish Balke woulda moved ahead of Miami and took Parker or took Jalen Strong with the 2nd rounder. This team has NO speed on Offense. Its kinda sad when your QB running is your most potent weapon. Very UNHAPPY with this Draft.
Share 49ersWebzone