There are 201 users in the forums

WHICH PLAYERS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN A 49ERS UNIFORM COME OUT OF THE 1ST ROUND?

This thread is my own version of a round one, one pick mock draft with a couple of exceptions. I don't pick just one player for the 1st round. I pick a few because trying to narrow it down to one pick makes my head hurt. The other reason is nobody including the so called experts can ever project correctly who the 49ers are going to pick. Lastly, I'm just picking for the 49ers because they are all I care about. Ok, so I guess it's not really a mock draft but it's my thread so I will call it what I want. So here we go:

Round 1 OLB Randy Gregory / RB Melvin Gordon / WR Amari Cooper / CB Jalen Collins
Gregory would be my pick if he slips to the 49ers at 15 because of the "red flags". I trust Baalke when it come to OLBs and if he thinks Gregory is a premier pass rusher then grab him. You can never have enough premium pass rushers and with the question marks surrounding Aldon and Lynch he might be good insurance or someone you can combine with them on pass rushing downs. Brooks is a playmaker but not a consistent pass rusher and Lemonier is still on Levis field engaged in a block.

Melvin Gordon would make two every down backs along with Hyde. I think he's the best back in the draft and with Hunter's injury history and how we want to use Bush we could use another back. I would rather have Gurley but coming off the ACL injury a pick this early needs to contribute and make an impact right away. Another awesome addition to the running game will make for a better passing game.

Obviously we would have to trade up for Amari Cooper but if we want to go WR in the 1st round this is the only player I am 100% sure about and someone who will immediately make an impact. I don't want to trade what it would take to move up that high because I don't think it's that much of need.

If Baalke can swing a deal to move down in the 1st round and get an extra second round pick then I say do it. Lots of value there in the 2nd. The question is how far down in the first do you want to move and still get a player you covet. If they can move to the 25-30 range and grab Jalen Collins I think he would be a nice addition to the secondary. Again, much like OLB CB is a position Baalke knows well and I trust him. Collins measurables are what Baalke likes in his corners. He is a big, fast, athletic CB who IMO could come in and start alongside Brock. Mike Mayock ranks Collins as his second best CB in the draft and the only reason he isn't first is his lack of experience playing the position. I respect Mayock's opinion more than any other analyst because his assessments are usually right on.

Lots of first round options and different ways the 49ers can go. A few ways I don't think they go is DL with a lot of the pundits having them go DL with Armstead. I don't think they go OL or ILB in the 1st either. Armstead just didn't have the production in college you want to see I don't care how much quick twitch ability he has. The other top rated DL prospects have the question surrounding them as to whether they are 2 or 3 down DL. When your picking in the 1st round you want to have a player that can play and make an impact without feeling like you have to take him off the field in certain packages. In other words you want an impact player not a role player. Not to mention the fact you got Carradine and Dial who having been waiting and learning. They just signed Dockett. Now if they think they have identified someone who can play the NT position and push the pocket so he doesn't have to come off on 3rd down they may go that way but is there that player in the 1st round? Same thing with the OL, your not going to draft a T in the 1st round because nobody is taking Staley or Davis's job. You have a lot of value after the 1st in regards to OL at the G position anybody you would take in the 1st may be a reach. ILB you have the same issue. I don't care what anyone says, although Michael Wilhoite played well last year he's still IMO very average and I think Dawson and Perryman are both better players and can be had in the 2nd round. Interested to hear other 49ers fans opinions on who you guys or girls want the direction of the 49ers to be, the player that sets up the rest of our draft? Who do you think makes the most sense for us and would have the biggest impact?

"This thread is a one pick mock draft with a couple of exceptions, I don't pick just one player."

Jason Collins he could jump
OLB Randy Gregory In 2013 he transferred to Nebraska, where he officially tested positive for marijuana twice, He couldn't stop smoking long enough to pass the test at the combine and that worry me. Is he talented hell yes but if he is going to smoke he will not be playing . form Randy Gregory "I don't wake up every day saying, I'd really love to go smoke," he said. "It's not a struggle for me every day (now), it really isn't. In the past, hell yeah, it's been a struggle. It really has been. Now, I'm focused on my dream." really I'm not sure if I would like the 49ers to use the 15th pick on him. He will enter into the league in the drug program and be test every month if he fails a test that would be fail number 2 and he will be suspended. He could turn out to be clean and a great player. Moss and Warn sapp both tested positive and both fell in the draft. Both where great player. Josh Gordon can't keep him sell out of trouble. so it really comes down to do you think he is going to clean up and play for 10 to 15 year or is he going to have problems and be in and out of the league year to year never know what is going to happen next. I think he mite be to risky for the 15th pick. But, hell If they draft him he and Aldon can hang out smoke and drink have a great time. It's all good.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

"This thread is a one pick mock draft with a couple of exceptions, I don't pick just one player."

It's a one pick mock where you list the players you'd be happy taking with that one pick. Thanks for your amazing contribution though

Players I'd be happy with trading up for: cooper, williams, white.

Happy with at 15: peters, parker, waynes, top dl/ol NOT ARMSTED.

Trade down for: peters (if there), dgb, goldman (if there),

ultimately my draft knowledge is subpar. So I'll hold off judgment till i see our pick in action.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Apr 19, 2015 at 8:51 AM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
It's a one pick mock where you list the players you'd be happy taking with that one pick. Thanks for your amazing contribution though

Players I'd be happy with trading up for: cooper, williams, white.

Happy with at 15: peters, parker, waynes, top dl/ol NOT ARMSTED.

Trade down for: peters (if there), dgb, goldman (if there),

ultimately my draft knowledge is subpar. So I'll hold off judgment till i see our pick in action.

I'm on board with your last scenario - trade down in the 1st for an extra 3rd Rd pick and take either Peters or DGB ( don't see Baalke taking Goldman).
If there was ever a year to trade up to say 10 or 11 and take whomever was inexplicably passed over...this is it.

I'd be ok with White, Strong, Williams or Goldman. DGB if there is a trade down.

For the first time in a while...the 49ers dont have any "immediate" needs and can truly sit and wait for the BPA to fall in their laps.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the more I look at this draft, them more I really do see that it will be one of those "let the chips may fall" type of draft..

the questions that needs to be answer is...

Do we take the best player available REGARDLESS OF POSITION or Do we make a move to the TARGETED PLAYER within reach?????
Originally posted by reasonable1:
If there was ever a year to trade up to say 10 or 11 and take whomever was inexplicably passed over...this is it.

I'd be ok with White, Strong, Williams or Goldman. DGB if there is a trade down.

For the first time in a while...the 49ers dont have any "immediate" needs and can truly sit and wait for the BPA to fall in their laps.

According to the media, we have immediate needs for the holes at every position on our team. Hell, I hear we might use our first round pick to trade for a coaching staff that is fit for the NFL. Can't wait to prove them all wrong lol.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Finally someone who shares my thinking.

Right now, the 9ers are not good in anything, so you might as well start by trying to re-establish our run game which has been our bead and butter for the past few years.

Carlos Hyde is a beast, but him alone is not enough and the rest are so so at best. What we need is a 2-headed monster approach with 2 top backs that can pound the crap out of the other teams.

Melvin Gordon is the BEST back in this draft. If he is available at 15th, we MUST take him!!

I wouldn't be surprised if Baalke went with either Gurley or Gordon. Every year Baalke has done some selections that surprised fans and analysts. In 2013 he picked Marcus Lattimore even though he had a real bad knee injury but he wasn't the same player anymore . Lattimore's knee injury is owrst than Gurley's, so there's a chance Baalke could go the same route with Gurley. Does Baalke want his NFC Divisional rivals take Gurley specifically the Seachickens?
Share 49ersWebzone