LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Devin Funchess, A difference maker for us.. WR/TE?

I'm a big Michigan fan and I've seen what this kid can do Live. He can gain a couple of pounds and be a tight end or lose and be that speed bodied receiver. With the 49ers having question marks in these 2 positions. Can he be our #2 receiver in the draft? Is he worth getting at what round? I just basically want to know more because I think he can be a difference maker for us?

http://www.chatsports.com/san-francisco-49ers/a/Michigans-Devin-Funchess-offers-49ers-dual-threat-2-11173162
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Mar 7, 2015 at 9:13 AM ]
Uh wrong area maybe?
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Uh wrong area maybe?

You don't have to bite the guys head off....geeezz
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Mar 7, 2015 at 9:52 AM ]
No. No. No. No. No.

No.

Don't rate this guy AT ALL. He will be a flop.
Maybe at TE, definitely not a WR.

2nd round pick at best.
I am a big Michigan fan as well and have seen him play in person myself and while he can be good at times, he has a case of the dropsies. Do not want as a WR. Maybe TE and definitely not in the 1st.
I don't believe you can just take a big, slow WR and put some size on him and expect him to be a TE. TE's play with their hand in the dirt and are asked to block, just because a guy is a TE's size on paper doesn't mean he has the power in his hips, toughness or even desire to block.

At least not forthe 49ers, who play their TE's in line a lot. For a team like the Colts, Pats or Bronco's that are more finesse offenses that don't rely heavily on TE blocking, I think he might work.

If you are gonna be big and slow, you gotta have great hands, which he does not.... I think he will be around in the 3rd. Wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, but I like him more as a luxury type of WR for specific situations, not someone you count on to be an impact starter.
The bad combine 40 time doesn't discourage me much. Boldin ran a 4.72, Jarvis Landry even worse at 4.77, but his explosion in the vertical and broad show that he has the athleticism to perform at receiver, and his other workouts show more than enough functional strength. With time in an NFL weight room and with NFL conditioning coaches, he could easily drop a few pounds if needed and add a little more speed and quickness.

I know Michigan was a bad team, but you'd like to see a little more production from him. The size is nice, but a little inconsistency and rawness I think kick him down a notch. I'd say he would be worth the pick if he fell into the 3rd round though.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
No way this guy separates from nfl corners. A bigger version of jj stokes in all the wrong ways.

Hes a te. Gain 20 lbs; decent te.
Originally posted by Beezy33:
I am a big Michigan fan as well and have seen him play in person myself and while he can be good at times, he has a case of the dropsies. Do not want as a WR. Maybe TE and definitely not in the 1st.

Dude plays lazy

Thank you guys, haven't heard that much about him. Thanks for the feedback.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
He did improve his 40 time at Michigan's Pro Day (4.48)
Originally posted by FL9er:
He did improve his 40 time at Michigan's Pro Day (4.48)

He looked clean.. saw.that bit on the nfl network
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Thank you guys, haven't heard that much about him. Thanks for the feedback.

uhh..i thought you said you were a big Michigan fan and saw him live?
4.7 40 at the combine to a 4.48 at his pro-day show's you have "reliable" pro-days are...

Pass on this kid in the 1st 2 rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone