There are 421 users in the forums

Glory's off season and mock draft 2.0

Glory's off season and mock draft 2.0

Ok, I'm trying to be as detailed and realistic as possible but I know I'm going to miss a few details here and there. Here's my second attempt:

Current projected cap space with no transactions: 1.5M

Release:

Ahmad Brooks (2.0M cap savings)
Stevie Johnson (6.0M cap savings)
Phil Dawson (3.0M cap savings)
Andy Lee (1.0M cap savings)
Trindon Holliday (0.6M cap savings)
Craig Dahl (1.7M cap savings)
Vernon Davis (5.0M cap savings)

Total savings: 19.3M
Cap space: 1.5M
Room to work with: 20.8M

Retain:

Justin Smith

Re-sign:

Frank Gore: 2 years, 10 mil (6.0M guaranteed)
Perrish Cox: 3 years, 10 mil (5.0M guaranteed)
Josh Johnson: 2 years, 3.5 mil

Sign:

Jared Odrick, 27, 6'5, 305, 15.0M<<<will replace Ray Mac at LDE, versatile and effective proto-type 3-4 DE
Jermaine Gresham, 26, 6'5, 260, 3 years, 15.0M<<replaces VD, better blocker, route runner and receiver than Vernon Davis. Will be a huge sorely needed red zone threat.
Virgil Greene, 26, 6'5, 255, 3 years, 6.0M<<Kap's former teammate, strong athlete, tremendous blocker, adequate receiving threat too

Draft:

1. Vic Beasley, 6'3, 250, Will immediately join pass rush rotation void filled by release of Ahmad.
2. AJ Cann, 6'3, 313, replaces departed Iupati. Sound technician with violent power that can play in both power and zone blocking schemes.
3. Jay Ajayi, 6'1, 221, Frank Gore's heir apparent, he and Hyde will be our future. Do it all power back with speed, great feet and vision.
4. Chris Conley, 6'2, 215, Long arms and big hands, combine workout warrior (4.35 40!). He'll soon supplant Boldin as our #1 WR.
5. Imoan Claiborne, 5'11, 187, Quick feet and fluid hips, does everything you ask of a corner, just needs to get stronger, surprise sleeper
6. Deon Simon, 6'4, 321, Massive frame, 35 reps at combine. Our linebackers will love playing behind this dude. Darkhorse pick. Let's steal him from Belichick who met with Deon 1 on 1.
7. Antwan Goodley, 5'10, 210, Meet Delanie Walker 2.0, only faster and more explosive, but with the same stone hands :(

Depth Chart:

QB: Kap/Johnson/FA pickup
RB: Gore/Hyde/Ajayi/Hunter
WR: Boldin/Conley/Ellington/Patton/Goodley
TE: Gresham/Green/MacDonald/Carrier
FB: Miller/Millard/Goodley
LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Cann/B. Thomas
C: Kilgore/M. Martin
RG: Boone/M Martin
RT: Davis/Martin

LDE: Odrick/Dial
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RDE: Smith/Carradine
ROLB: A. Smith/A. Lynch
LOLB: Beasley/A. Lynch
LILB: Bowman/Wilhoite
RILB: Willis/Borland
LCB: Brock/Johnson/Reaser
RCB: Cox/Claiborne/Acker
SCB: Claiborne/Ward/Reaser
DCB: Johnson/Reaser/Acker
SS: Bethea/FA
FS: Reid/Ward

LS: Nelson
K: FA
P: FA
Not bad could see it but I wouldn't want it...I do like and see the greater value from those late picks!
Your 1,5, 7 picks I don't understand...I see what you means as more pass-rusher depth...but I just don't like small bds everyone wr is getting bigger and bigger...remember Jimmy ward vs b.Marshall...3tds on him I love Jimmy ward will be great next year at fs...and 7 again why a small te/fb...we need speed but sizes as well we play in the nfc west..tough , gritty, physical..remember Quinton Patton aloft beat up and punished by lathe Seahawks...
Overall great work and research...looking forward to your next post!
It seems pretty sweet, we'd have a nice pass rush rotation and back up plan if Aldon or Lynch do something stupid. Love the thought of adding Odrick, Green, Beasley, Cann, Ajayi and Conley. Good job!
I gave you a b...but I guessed no one else did...
We lose Johnson and Crabtree and replace them with Conley. No thanks. WR needs to be more important if we lose both. Which is now likely to happen. I like Conley, but only if he's the 2nd WR we draft. Not sure he is ready to start right away.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

6. Deon Simon, 6'4, 321, Massive frame, 35 reps at combine. Our linebackers will love playing behind this dude. Darkhorse pick. Let's steal him from Belichick who met with Deon 1 on 1.

Nice. I took Simon as an UDFA in my 2nd mock this year and was positively surprised he received and Invitation to the Combine.

2015 NFL Combine

Height 6-4, Weight, 321, Arm Length 33, Hand 10 1/2, 40-Yard 5.12, 10-Yard 1.78, Bench 35 reps, Vertical 29.5, Broad 8´9

Has the tools to be a 2-Gap NT in a 3-4.
Agree with others that I would go WR earlier, since we might need that production this year.

I'm also more concerned with replacing JMart as our swing tackle than I am with replacing Iupati as a starting guard. I think Thomas, Looney, or MMart will lock that down (it'll be Thomas, lol).

I don't want Goodly at all. I think we already have an improvement from Walker on the roster named Trey Millard.

I think it's dangerous to replace the veteran kicker and punter in the same year. I'm all for drafting a replacement for Dawson with one of the comp picks ( ), but I think we should give the kid a couple of years of help from a vet like Lee before we expect him to be a pro on his own.

I don't think it's likely we enter another season with only 3 OLBs on the roster, and I can't remember ever having 4 healthy TEs on the regular season roster.

If Frank, according to reports, is seeking $4MM per, I can't see us giving him $5MM per.

It sounds like I hate your mock. I don't. I agree with your re-signs and most of your releases. I like Ajayi, Conley, and Simon, though I'd prefer to get our swing tackle in a mid round, and take Coleman or Gurley with our 2nd, if they are available (instead of Ajayi). The dude's good 3rd round value though, IMO.
Originally posted by jonjt49:
I gave you a b...but I guessed no one else did...

LOL there are zero B's. Did you click "submit vote"?
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Feb 28, 2015 at 1:38 PM ]
Maddog's post combine big board just wrecked this mock :P
Originally posted by niners9:
We lose Johnson and Crabtree and replace them with Conley. No thanks. WR needs to be more important if we lose both. Which is now likely to happen. I like Conley, but only if he's the 2nd WR we draft. Not sure he is ready to start right away.

True -- it'd be great if we can keep SJ. But I'm thinking Boldin, Patton, Ellington, Conley, McDonald, Gresham, and Greene should be enough to couple with our running game + Hbacks Millard & Goodley.

Your right I hit the wrong button my bad bro
Pretty good effort. I doubt Vernon is going anywhere though and I think SF will target pass rush help earlier in the draft.
Originally posted by slowriot:
Pretty good effort. I doubt Vernon is going anywhere though and I think SF will target pass rush help earlier in the draft.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see Andy Lee going anywhere either. The guy is still one of the better punters in the league. Im also not sure if I like Beasley in that spot. I just think that we can find a better value between need and value there. Who knows? I'm not even sure he will last that long anyway. It's a C for me.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
LOL at Jermaine Gresham being better than VD.
Good draft.

Disagree on Andy Lee.

It wouldn't really be saving 1M because we'd still have to pay the new punter and if they're any good it will cost us.
Share 49ersWebzone