There are 168 users in the forums

Is the WZ Wide Receiver obsessed for the NFL Draft?

Is the WZ Wide Receiver obsessed for the NFL Draft?

Every year for the better part of a decade they want a WR in the 1st round. Some want a WR in multiple rounds. How has that worked out for Detroit? The game is still won in the trenches. We would be best served with D Line and O Line IMO. Plus maybe a RB since Gore might not return. Personally I don't think a WR will help this team much since we don't have somebody to get him the ball anyway.

How good do the WR's seem on Tom Brady's team? Not very good is the answer. IMO they are less good than what we have. He just won the Super Bowl and 4 total with mostly not too good of WR's with the exception that he had Randy Moss for a while. You don't really need great WR's to win the Super Bowl. You need great O Line play, an excellent defense and a strong running game. Where is Seattle without Beastmode for example? Running still matters a lot in this league. Don't let all that "RB doesn't matter in 2015 anymore" stuff fool you. It still matters. Does Demarco Murray help Dallas?

The way this team is built it's best to be strong in the trenches on both sides and have a good running game. We won't win throwing 40 - 50 times a game anyway. That is not who we are. We are not built like that. We pretty consistently lose when we try to do that. Run, play defense and throw about 20 - 25 times a game is how this team is built.
I hear you man, but the 49ers need a wide receiver threat to make defenses not play so hard against the run on us. Just to have the threat of a big play would do wonders for the o line and the running game. Every season we play against heavy fronts and deep boxes... having a deep threat (something we havn't had since T.O) would make all the difference.

And as for Brady comparison.... c'mon bro. That's Tom Brady. Kaepernick wouldn't even have sniffed the Afc title game if he was on that team, much less the Super Bowl.
Matt Ryan as another example. He has played with big, fast, high draft pick WR's most of his career. It doesn't seem to help Atlanta much with the exception of 1 year they were pretty good and got punked in the playoffs.
Disagree the 49ers need a elite speed deep ball W.R rite now to complement Boldin Johnson and Vernon Davis ,crabtree is most likley going to walk. So the missing key to the 9ers offence is a speed W.R that could really make plays not a other bust like aj jenkins. #Kevin White! the missing key.
Originally posted by 49ers201:
Disagree the 49ers need a elite speed deep ball W.R rite now to complement Boldin Johnson and Vernon Davis ,crabtree is most likley going to walk. So the missing key to the 9ers offence is a speed W.R that could really make plays not a other bust like aj jenkins. #Kevin White! the missing key.

They tried that with A.J. Jenkins. How did that work out?

When we pick front 7 players a lot of those turn into stars. We have picked some good O Linemen. Gore may not be back. We could use a RB too.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 23, 2015 at 8:46 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

When we pick front 7 players a lot of those turn into stars. We have picked some good O Linemen. Gore may not be back. We could use a RB too.

Jenkins was a bust, it happens to every single GM, to every single team in the NFL. I do think that the 49ers are a bit heavy with the possession receivers right now, getting someone who brings a different element, particularly a vertical threat is important because every team needs balance between intermediate and vertical threats.

I do think that those who claim the 49ers NEED multiple receivers are overdoing it a bit, football is still won in the trenches and most importantly the 49ers need to be able to win those fights on both sides of the ball. That is where the focus should go. For a supposedly dominant run blocking OL, they struggled far too often in short yardage situations. The DL has some holes, Justin Smith is either on the verge of retirement or a year away, Ray McDonald is gone, your nose tackles are coming back from season ending injuries, Ian Williams with his second in as many seasons. Its hard to say that the 49ers are "okay" along both the OL and DL.

With Boldin, Johnson, Patton and Ellington, what the 49ers really are lacking most is a true vertical threat, beyond that, both Ellington and Patton need snaps, until those guys have gotten the opportunity to play consistently and have definitively shown that they can't get it done, I don't see the point of adding a bunch of receivers that won't get snaps either. Throw in a guy like a Devin Smith, Dorsett, Lockett, maybe even someone like Jaelen Strong and focus on building up the front seven on defense, adding depth in the secondary as well as depth at RB and the OL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Jenkins was a bust, it happens to every single GM, to every single team in the NFL. I do think that the 49ers are a bit heavy with the possession receivers right now, getting someone who brings a different element, particularly a vertical threat is important because every team needs balance between intermediate and vertical threats.

I do think that those who claim the 49ers NEED multiple receivers are overdoing it a bit, football is still won in the trenches and most importantly the 49ers need to be able to win those fights on both sides of the ball. That is where the focus should go. For a supposedly dominant run blocking OL, they struggled far too often in short yardage situations. The DL has some holes, Justin Smith is either on the verge of retirement or a year away, Ray McDonald is gone, your nose tackles are coming back from season ending injuries, Ian Williams with his second in as many seasons. Its hard to say that the 49ers are "okay" along both the OL and DL.

With Boldin, Johnson, Patton and Ellington, what the 49ers really are lacking most is a true vertical threat, beyond that, both Ellington and Patton need snaps, until those guys have gotten the opportunity to play consistently and have definitively shown that they can't get it done, I don't see the point of adding a bunch of receivers that won't get snaps either. Throw in a guy like a Devin Smith, Dorsett, Lockett, maybe even someone like Jaelen Strong and focus on building up the front seven on defense, adding depth in the secondary as well as depth at RB and the OL.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Agree
Thank you. I wonder the same thing. The draft seems to be a WZ consensus time to appreciate Baalke. Yet the swooning for WR is overwhelming, arguably a blind spot for Baalke. When I hear we make a trade on draft day, I diddle my fingers diabolically like Mr. Burns knowing we just trade raped someone.

Eggsellent
Yes but for good reason. We haven't had a great wide receiver in forever. Hell we haven't even had a consistent good wr in a long time outside of Boldin. Vernon had 2 up years that were seasons apart form each other and Crabs only had one good season with us. Does anyone actually remember the last time the Niners drafted a receiver that was an impact player?

At the same time I think some people are in for a rude awakening since there is no way Baalke drafts a receiver in the first round. It just isn't him and the last time he tried we ended up with A.J. Jenkins.

It would be great if we could get a legitimate deep threat that defenses account for as well as a tall big bodied receiver to throw the ball up to as I feel this would be a scary combination to deal with on top of our running game.

I'm excited to see what our receivers could do with the new coaching staff though as with harbaugh's staff I feel like the receivers regressed and it was a team that killed a receivers potential or career.

I'm curious if we got a new conditioning coach too because players have gotten slower on our team. Kap, LaMichael James, Ellington, all guys we drafted for speed but they seem to have gotten a lot slower after coming to the 49ers. Hopefully they do not ruin whatever wr we draft this year.

I say we trade up for Kevin White but you know that will never happen. Luckily this year has another deep wr class so we have options.

2012 case in point why I'm petrified of drafting WR early...

It's a high risk high reward selection.

Blackmon
Floyd
Wright
AJJ
Quick
Hill
Alshon
Randle
DeVier frickin Posey
TJ Graham
Sanu
TY Hilton

Might as well throw a dart. There are more quality choices in the last 6 than the first 6. DGB and Parker scare the crap out of me.
Weve had a terrible history with drafting WR's, basically since T.O. We just dont scout them very well, and dont know how to pair them with other WR who do different things.

We always sign/draft the same type of possession WR. Boldin, Crabtree, and Steve Johnson are all the same type of receiver. We need to get a guy who can stretch the field and open things up.
Because we STILL need one?
It looks like answer yes is silent majority at this point. I too give higher priority to strengthening both lines than WR.
Originally posted by SadowskyMS4:
It looks like answer yes is silent majority at this point. I too give higher priority to strengthening both lines than WR.

I agree the lines are more important. We can get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd or none at all. We don't even use Patton and Ellington and I think they have some speed.
Share 49ersWebzone