LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

theninermaniac's mock draft 1.0

Round 1: Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan St.

I think Baalke strongly considers trading down with a team looking to target a top-flight RB (Gordon/Gurley) ahead of the Texans and Chargers. If there are no partners for this trade scenario, Baalke will look to add talent to the secondary. Waynes has good size and mirroring ability. If he runs a good 40 at the combine, he will be too good to pass on.

Round 2: Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina

Im driving the bandwagon on Hardy. He's not a 6'4 freak, just a reliable WR that knows how to get open. He has great hands and runs great routes. He's not the burner type either. He is a possession WR that can fill the shoes of the departed Crabtree.

Round 3: Duke Johnson, RB, Miami (Fl)

I love the speed and "wiggles" Johnson demonstrates. He is a homerun threat on every touch. He's not a power back chain mover, but has big play ability and is a receiving threat out of the backfield. Now that Roman is gone maybe we will try to throw to our RBs.

Round 4: Terry Williams, NT, East Carolina

You''ve probably never heard of him, so take a second to look him up. He has the girth (350 lbs.+) to be a dominant force in the middle of the defense. He is extremely powerful and has a good motor for such a massive human being. He mauls offensive lineman and dumps them. He is not able to be blocked one-on-one, and could be the anchor of the 3-4.

Round 5: Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke

Tomlinson is a beast in the run game. His pass pro is not as developed, but he went to Duke so you know he has the smarts to pick it up with good coaching.

Round 6: Kevin White, CB, TCU

Yes, the other Kevin White. He looks like he could be a nickel cover corner. He held the big name Kevin White in check when they played one another.

Round 7: Marcus Rush, OLB, Michigan St.

Besides having a clever last name for a 3-4 OLB, he was a solid contributor to the Spartans defense. His size and speed are questionable, but so was Borland's.
I like, l like, especially if Terry Williams pans out! With good coaching he could replace Ian Williams and if he has a great combin we might have to get him in the 3rd...Great work! What are your of season moves to go along with this by the way?
Originally posted by jonjt49:
I like, l like, especially if Terry Williams pans out! With good coaching he could replace Ian Williams and if he has a great combin we might have to get him in the 3rd...Great work! What are your of season moves to go along with this by the way?

Crabs, Gore and Iupati walk. We resign Culliver.
the last thing this team needs is yet another possession receiver. boldin, johnson, and QP not enough for you?
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jan 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
the last thing this team needs is yet another possession receiver. boldin, johnson, and QP not enough for you?

Crabs will be gone next season, Boldin the year after. Johnson and Patton are meh. What's wrong with planning for the future? We'd all love a 6'4 WR that runs in the 4.3s but they aren't that common.
I do like enough of this, if it were the outcome...

hate to be that guy... but I really can't see Tomlinson and White falling that far. All the better, if they do.

I like Hardy, but feel he would be there in rd 3.

Big fan of Waynes and Duke there.

I don't know how we can fit a 4th rd NT onto the roster, when we already have Ian and Dorsey. I suspect Terry Williams will be a late rounder anyway.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

hate to be that guy... but I really can't see Tomlinson and White falling that far. All the better, if they do.

I don't know how we can fit a 4th rd NT onto the roster, when we already have Ian and Dorsey. I suspect Terry Williams will be a late rounder anyway.

After the Senior Bowl, there is no way either White or Tomlinson even sniff the 5th round.

Like the Waynes and Duke Johnson picks. Could do better than Hardy in the second. Thought you were looking for more speed at WR?

Don't know anything about Williams so can't say whether it's a good pick at that point.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM ]
If Parker or White are there at 15 I go WR. Both size and some speed.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

After the Senior Bowl, there is no way either White or Tomlinson even sniff the 5th round.

Like the Waynes and Duke Johnson picks. Could do better than Hardy in the second. Thought you were looking for more speed at WR?

Don't know anything about Williams so can't say whether it's a good pick at that point.

Now that I look at it, Tomlinson and White are probably both gone by the end of the 4th round. Ill have to edit.

To the point about adding speed: Duke Johnson would add a new speed dimension to the run game. If your looking for me to add a burner instead of Hardy, Im just not finding one that is a better WR. I think Hardy's speed is good. His straight-line speed might not be sub 4.4, but with his routes and hands combo will be enough to get separation regularly. Im not gambling for round 3 to get him. Guess he's my draft crush.

To the point about fitting NT Terry Williams on the team: Ray Mac is gone now and Cowboy might retire. There is plenty of room on the Dline for this natural NT with athletic ability. Dorsey can kick out and play 3-4 end and this big guy can plug the middle. He might last into the 5th or 6th, but I wouldn't want to miss out on him.

[ Edited by theninermaniac on Jan 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM ]
I take back my previous post. I had Hardy confused with someone else. While I prefer some of the speedier receivers, I think he would be a great pick.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jan 25, 2015 at 7:31 PM ]

You didn't address D-line in the 1st three rounds. I'm almost certain that our team will.
DB in the 1st?? didn't we just draft 4 DB's in last years draft? the secondary played well this past season (5th in the league) and that was without our #1 most of the season.

How about we focus on what we were bad at? scoring pts....if a top tier WR is stilling at 15 you take him.
good mock but i honestly don't see Tomlinson dropping to the 5th.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
DB in the 1st?? didn't we just draft 4 DB's in last years draft? the secondary played well this past season (5th in the league) and that was without our #1 most of the season.

How about we focus on what we were bad at? scoring pts....if a top tier WR is stilling at 15 you take him.

Culliver and Cox are heading to free agency. Acker and Reaser were late round fliers recovering from injury and didn't see the field. Ward is a nickel corner/safety. Right now the starting corners would be DJ and Brock. I think there is room to add Waynes.

There is a lot of depth at WR in the draft and a good one can be had in rds 2-4. We're never gonna be a top 10 offense as long as Baalke wants to grind the clock and run the ball every down.
Good mock
Length and good route running makes up for speed
Justin hardy is a good pick in the 2nd and just like you I think cb is a big priority
Share 49ersWebzone