There are 169 users in the forums

MBA's Mock Draft Version 1.0 Post Senior Bowl, Pre Free Agency

Here is my first stab at a mock draft. The player ratings are based on CBS Sports Prospect rankings as of today plus the performance of the players in Mobile. Thanks to Phoenix, I will also assume that the Niners get two comp picks in the 4th and 7th

Here is my take on free agency:

Resign
Chris Culliver, Frank Gore, Dan Skuta, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Kyle Nelson

Trade
Ahmad Brooks for Washington's 5th round draft pick

Release/Let Walk
Craig Dahl, Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Lloyd, Garrett Celek, Kassim Osgood, Raymond Ventrone, Alfonso Smith

Restructure/Extend
Colin Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Stevie Johnson

Retire
Justin Smith

Free Agency targets
Pernell McPhee OLB/DE Ravens
Jared Odrick DT Miami or Tyson Alualu DT Jacksonville
Roy Helu RB Washington

Round 1 Davante Parker WR Louisville 6'3" 209 lbs - number 1 need because Crabtree is gone and I think Cooper and White will be gone.
Round 2 Carl Davis DT Iowa 6'5" 321 lbs - had great week in Mobile and a good addition to our defensive line
Round 3 Kevin White CB TCU 5'9" 180 lbs - we didn't get Verrett, so now we take his former teammate
Round 4 Phillip Dorsett WR Miami 5'10" 183 lbs - I feel the need........the need for speed
Round 4 Comp Garrett Grayson QB Colorado St 6'2" 215 lbs - developmental QB a must in the draft
Round 5 Ali Marpet OG Hobart 6'4" 307 lbs - more insurance for Iupati leaving and Boone's declining play
Round 6 Wes Saxton TE South Alabama 6'4" 243 lbs - don't know what happens to Vernon so the offense could use another weapon at TE
Round 7 Xzavier Dickson OLB Alabama 6'3" 268 lbs - insurance for Aldon Smith and Brooks could be a salary cap casualty/trade bait.
Round 7 Comp Chaz Green OT Florida 6'5" 300 lbs - 3 year starter coming off an injury

Your thoughts..........
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM ]
Great work and research on your part.
I can see this happening, however just two spots I see changing...picks 5 and 6!
The draft overall isn't a deep as last year...all good top and above average talent will be gone by middle of the third round.
Wes saxton is a top 5 TE this year I feel he will have to get him in the 3rd or early 4th.
Karlos Williams is a #2 back...I think we should be looking at more of a speed back/ change of pace back....he is a bigger slower gore with bad block in space and poor feet...
But again not I can call you Trent bakle jr....can really see our draft...last question if this is your mock draft...what are your free agency plans to match this?
I don't think I would be too excited with this draft. Parker could be good, but Id like to see CB and RB addressed earlier in the draft. I think Davis and Tomlinson could be had a round or two later than mocked. Id want some more speed added to the offense as well.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I don't think I would be too excited with this draft. Parker could be good, but Id like to see CB and RB addressed earlier in the draft. I think Davis and Tomlinson could be had a round or two later than mocked. Id want some more speed added to the offense as well.

Good point about the speed. If that is the case, how would this work:

Round 3 Kevin White CB TCU instead of Tomlinson

Round 4 Phillip Dorsett WR Miami instead of Gunter

And

Round 5 Ali Marpet OG Hobart instead of Williams

I disagree with you about Davis and Tomlinson being available one round later. They both dominated last week against top competition and that will be fresh on GM's minds come draft day.
Originally posted by jonjt49:
Great work and research on your part.
I can see this happening, however just two spots I see changing...picks 5 and 6!
The draft overall isn't a deep as last year...all good top and above average talent will be gone by middle of the third round.
Wes saxton is a top 5 TE this year I feel he will have to get him in the 3rd or early 4th.
Karlos Williams is a #2 back...I think we should be looking at more of a speed back/ change of pace back....he is a bigger slower gore with bad block in space and poor feet...
But again not I can call you Trent bakle jr....can really see our draft...last question if this is your mock draft...what are your free agency plans to match this?

Resign

Trade

Release/Let Walk
Craig Dahl, Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Lloyd, Garrett Celek, Kassim Osgood, Raymond Ventrone, Alfonso Smith

Restructure/Extend

Retire
Justin Smith

Free Agency targets
Jared Odrick DT Miami
Roy Helu RB Washington
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 25, 2015 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Here is my first stab at a mock draft. The player ratings are based on CBS Sports Prospect rankings as of today plus the performance of the players in Mobile. Thanks to Phoenix, I will also assume that the Niners get two comp picks in the 4th and 7th

Your thoughts..........

It is excellent.
Lol #teamseniorbowl
Originally posted by shmuck:
Lol #teamseniorbowl

........and your point is what?
My first 4 rounds hit on the same needs with MANY of the same people. I think Carl Davis would be an excellent fill in for Ray Mac and Tomlinson would be solid as RG, either if Boone moves to the LG or if he is groomed as a replacement.

And

I disagree with you about Davis and Tomlinson being available one round later. They both dominated last week against top competition and that will be fresh on GM's minds come draft day.

Those changes might work...maybe even go CB in the 2nd round and target a DT in the 4th or later? If Gore walks, maybe go after a speedy RB in 3rd? It all starts with the 1st pick Parker anyway. There are some intriguing WR prospects that can be had in rds 2-4, so going WR first kind of forces your hand the rest of the way.

Is Parker worth it? Too early to tell?

Resign

Trade

Release/Let Walk

Restructure/Extend

Retire
Justin Smith

Free Agency targets
Jared Odrick DT Miami
Roy Helu RB Washington

McPhee and Odrick are great targets, it gives more options in the draft.

And

Those changes might work...maybe even go CB in the 2nd round and target a DT in the 4th or later? If Gore walks, maybe go after a speedy RB in 3rd? It all starts with the 1st pick Parker anyway. There are some intriguing WR prospects that can be had in rds 2-4, so going WR first kind of forces your hand the rest of the way.

By the same token, is Sammie Coates in the 2nd a better option than Parker, White or DGB in the first? Coates is plenty big and very fast, but can he catch? Lots of questions to be answered at the Combine, Pro Days and personal workouts.

Like the idea of Duke Johnson or Jay Ajayi as the speedy RB's to target or even Roy Helu in free agency.

Can't wait till free agency starts and the Niners make some moves to improve the team and bring the draft into better focus.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 25, 2015 at 7:59 PM ]

And

Why CB so early? They drafted 4 last season and will look to resign Cox or Cully...your basically drafting someone that wouldn't be a starter and would be fighting Johnson for a backup spot....
Great mock. Great job!!
i like the Davis, Gunter, and Tomlinson picks. a lot of people think Tomlinson will go later, but the guy has made himself a lot of money this past weekend and during his career at Duke. good overall player that has GREAT technique.
Share 49ersWebzone