LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Ivanm05 Fansspeak Offseason Mock

Using Fanspeak's Manage the Cap and Draft Simulator, I ended maneuvering the following offseason:

Cap/ Restructuring / Free Agents:

CUT:

Craig Dahl - S
Joe Looney - G
Leon McFadden - CB
Marcus Cromartie - CB
Jonathan Martin - T
Ahmad Brooks - OLB
Asante Cleveland - TE

RESTRUCTURED:

Anthony Davis - T
Patrick Willis - ILB
Anquan Boldin - WR
Colin Kaepernick - QB
NaVorro Bowman -ILB
Joe Staley - T

SIGNED:

Blaine Gabbert - QB
Frank Gore - RB
Kenny Britt - WR
Mike Iupati - G
Nick Fairley - DT
Dan Skuta - OLB
Kelvin Sheppard - ILB
Chris Culliver - CB
Perrish Cox -CB

The following would be the Draft:

Round 1 - Pick 15 - Kevin White WR

Round 2 - Pick 14 - Duke Johnson - RB

Round 3 - Pick 15 - Tre' Jackson - G

Round 4 - Pick 27 - Ifo Ekpre Olomu - CB

Round 5 - Pick 15 - Cedric Reed - DE

Round 6 - Pick 14 - Sean Mannion - QB

Round 7 - Pick 29 - Phillip Dorsett - WR

beautiful.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wishful thinking, but Phillip Dorsett in the 7th round, I don't think so.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wishful thinking, but Phillip Dorsett in the 7th round, I don't think so.

Yeah I hear ya haha... the simulator is funny like that... he was there so I took him. I know that in reality there's no chance he's there.
Pre-draft:

- Why would you just cut Brooks...Baalke can get some value for him (at least a draft pick).

- Why re-sign Gabbert...he showed virtually nothing. Instead, cut him, keep JJ, and draft a QB.

- Why re-sign Iupati...his play's slipped the last 2 seasons...he's become injury-prone yet his agent will demand big bucks. Tomsula will have a healthy Brandon Thomas, M. Martin to compete for LG.

- Why sign a FA ILB...how will he make the roster w/Bowman, Willis, Whilhoite and Borland??

Draft:

- White put up some great numbers at WVU...but I wonder how him playing in a spread offense contributed to that. I'd still lean toward DeVante Parker, whom I feel is the best all-around WR in this draft. Another factor: it'd seem likely that Patton and Ellington will be a significantly more integral part of the passing game...and both have good speed.

- If your plan is to keep Iupati, then why draft Jackson? OT is actually a bigger need IMHO...after Staley and AD, there's not anyone other than Boone. J. Martin's not the answer...so if you're going to draft an OL why not an OT.

- Olomu's one of the highest rated CB's...there's no way he's still on the board mid-4th rd.

- DL's one of Baalke/Tomsula's biggest needs...yet you don't take one 'til the 5th rd. Who will replace Ray Mac? Carradine? Jerrod-Edie? Neither are close to being proven starters. Justin Smith...we don't know if he'll play in 2015 or not. Even if he does, now's the time to draft a replacement. Reed may be a decent player, but at 6-6, 271 lbs, he doesn't sound like 3-4 DL material.

- I don't see Mannion still on the board in 6th rd. I'd love to see the Niners take Grayson...earlier.

- Rd 7...Dorsett won't be there as Kolohe said above.
Can I ask what the though process was for the following:

• Cutting Cromartie and McFadden, both low-cost options who were signed for potential, and just started getting on the field
  • Resigning Gabbert
  • Signing an additional ILB
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Can I ask what the though process was for the following:

• Cutting Cromartie and McFadden, both low-cost options who were signed for potential, and just started getting on the field
  • Resigning Gabbert
  • Signing an additional ILB

Hey guys as I mentioned on the orginal post ... I came up with these moves through the Manage the Cap game on fansspeak...

In the game you can simulate free agency and try to sign free agents .. so basically the more salary you cut the more cap you have to try to sign free agents..

As you can imagine, it would be pretty boring if you try and be too realistic and only have 3,000,000 to work with as opposed to 15 million ...

So to be brief, I was just trying to have fun .. wasn't Bering too realistic
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Pre-draft:

- Why would you just cut Brooks...Baalke can get some value for him (at least a draft pick).

- Why re-sign Gabbert...he showed virtually nothing. Instead, cut him, keep JJ, and draft a QB.

- Why re-sign Iupati...his play's slipped the last 2 seasons...he's become injury-prone yet his agent will demand big bucks. Tomsula will have a healthy Brandon Thomas, M. Martin to compete for LG.

- Why sign a FA ILB...how will he make the roster w/Bowman, Willis, Whilhoite and Borland??

Draft:

- White put up some great numbers at WVU...but I wonder how him playing in a spread offense contributed to that. I'd still lean toward DeVante Parker, whom I feel is the best all-around WR in this draft. Another factor: it'd seem likely that Patton and Ellington will be a significantly more integral part of the passing game...and both have good speed.

- If your plan is to keep Iupati, then why draft Jackson? OT is actually a bigger need IMHO...after Staley and AD, there's not anyone other than Boone. J. Martin's not the answer...so if you're going to draft an OL why not an OT.

- Olomu's one of the highest rated CB's...there's no way he's still on the board mid-4th rd.

- DL's one of Baalke/Tomsula's biggest needs...yet you don't take one 'til the 5th rd. Who will replace Ray Mac? Carradine? Jerrod-Edie? Neither are close to being proven starters. Justin Smith...we don't know if he'll play in 2015 or not. Even if he does, now's the time to draft a replacement. Reed may be a decent player, but at 6-6, 271 lbs, he doesn't sound like 3-4 DL material.

- I don't see Mannion still on the board in 6th rd. I'd love to see the Niners take Grayson...earlier.

- Rd 7...Dorsett won't be there as Kolohe said above.

As I was Saying.. I did all this through fansspeaks game Manage the Cap, where you can simulate free agency... I cut Brooks to clear cap and try to sign free agents.. you can't make trades.

I ran the draft through Fanspeak simulator too and their board is pretty limited at the moment.. I just went bpa as opposed to need. If I was to do my own mock, outside of the simulator, it would look a lot different..

And I drafted Olomu and Dorsett bc they were available in the simulator. I'm well aware they're not available there in a real draft scenario.

thanks for your thoughts though
[ Edited by ivanm05 on Jan 25, 2015 at 6:42 PM ]
Screw Fanspeak...do your own mock. When I critique mocks, I try to do so along the lines Baalke's shown in past drafts. I'm sure he'll surprise us a time or two, and that's fine. Doing your own mock is time-consuming...takes a lot of research. There's no such thing as a perfect mock, either. Every year I'm blown away by how far many long-time "mocksters" swing and miss. There are a few things you can pretty much count on...in a good OL draft, expect a lot of OT's to fly off the board very early. Ditto pass rushers. After Jamison and Mariota there probably won't be many QB's taken for awhile. The top cover CB's will also dominate early. RB's will likely begin coming off in 2nd rd (save maybe Gurley). Have fun with it...looking forward to your next mock.
things i don't understand:

-cutting Brooks even though he still has lots of value. could get a draft pick if we wanted to get rid of him that bad.
-keeping Gabbert. the guy is terrible.
-restructuring all those contracts, especially from big names like those, will be difficult or even impossible
-signing Britt? an injury prone receiver that has shown to be a headache?
-signing Frank, Fairley, Iupati, and Sheppard? those four alone will be too much for our team to afford. Fairley doesn't necessarily fit a 3-4 scheme. and why sign Sheppard when we technically have 3 inside backers on this team already.
-no way Dorsett lasts till the 7th. he'll be a 4th rounder at the latest

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Screw Fanspeak...do your own mock. When I critique mocks, I try to do so along the lines Baalke's shown in past drafts. I'm sure he'll surprise us a time or two, and that's fine. Doing your own mock is time-consuming...takes a lot of research. There's no such thing as a perfect mock, either. Every year I'm blown away by how far many long-time "mocksters" swing and miss. There are a few things you can pretty much count on...in a good OL draft, expect a lot of OT's to fly off the board very early. Ditto pass rushers. After Jamison and Mariota there probably won't be many QB's taken for awhile. The top cover CB's will also dominate early. RB's will likely begin coming off in 2nd rd (save maybe Gurley). Have fun with it...looking forward to your next mock.

This.

I can't stand the mocks that just look thrown together without any thought or realism. I'm not saying that is what you've done, this is a nice one and it looks like it took some time.

But screw Fanspeak, screw CBS sports, screw any bigboard out there. Obviously you need them to see the range guys are falling in, but don't be afraid to add you own ideas (especially after senior bowl day).
It looks like you've got some good ideas, they just aren't very realistic.

But overall, nice work. I can tell you put some time in and its reflected. Looking forward to the next one.
Originally posted by ivanm05:
Using Fanspeak's Manage the Cap and Draft Simulator, I ended maneuvering the following offseason:

Cap/ Restructuring / Free Agents:

CUT:

Craig Dahl - S
Joe Looney - G
Leon McFadden - CB
Marcus Cromartie - CB
Jonathan Martin - T
Ahmad Brooks - OLB
Asante Cleveland - TE

RESTRUCTURED:

Anthony Davis - T
Patrick Willis - ILB
Anquan Boldin - WR
Colin Kaepernick - QB
NaVorro Bowman -ILB
Joe Staley - T

SIGNED:

Blaine Gabbert - QB
Frank Gore - RB
Kenny Britt - WR
Mike Iupati - G
Nick Fairley - DT
Dan Skuta - OLB
Kelvin Sheppard - ILB
Chris Culliver - CB
Perrish Cox -CB

The following would be the Draft:

Round 1 - Pick 15 - Kevin White WR

Round 2 - Pick 14 - Duke Johnson - RB

Round 3 - Pick 15 - Tre' Jackson - G

Round 4 - Pick 27 - Ifo Ekpre Olomu - CB

Round 5 - Pick 15 - Cedric Reed - DE

Round 6 - Pick 14 - Sean Mannion - QB

Round 7 - Pick 29 - Phillip Dorsett - WR

So I don't really get cutting Looney, McFadden or Brooks? Looney is at the very least a good backup at center and guard plus he is cheap. McFadden is cheap and Brooks would eat up a ton of dead money so they would look to trade him.

Why restructure Davis, Boldin, and Staley? I don't get the Boldin restructure, by doing this your guaranteeing him more years and cash down the road.

There is no way you will be able to sign all those players SF is a couple million over the cap as of now. They will be lucky to sing Gore and one of the CBs.

Dorsett isn't getting past the 3rd and this draft is chalk full of RBs and not sure why your grabbing a guard in the 3rd if your keeping Iupati?

Who is taking over at DE? and I will pass on a QB in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone