There are 271 users in the forums

Yay Area Mock Offseason #1

HC: Jim Tomsula
OC: Rob Chudzinski
DC: Jason Tarver

Resign
Perrish Cox, Chris Culliver, Frank Gore, Dan Skuta, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Kyle Nelson

Trade
Ahmad Brooks for Washington's 5th round draft pick

Release/Let Walk
Craig Dahl, Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Michael Wilhoite, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Lloyd, Garrett Celek, Kassim Osgood, Raymond Ventrone, Alfonso Smith

Restructure/Extend
Colin Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Stevie Johnson

Retire
Justin Smith

Free Agency
Brian Hoyer, QB, Cleveland

Draft
R1: Danny Shelton - DT - Washington. Looks out of shape, but is quick, strong against the run and pass. Showing well at Senior Bowl.
R2: Sammie Coates - WR - Auburn. Supposedly clocked around 4.3 according to CBSsports. Will be the deep threat we have craved.
R3: Duke Johnson - RB - Miami. Speedy playmaker, homerun threat.
R4 (Denver's pick, from 2014 draft day trade): Durell Eskridge, S, Syracuse. Good size and above average speed. Could be a poor man's Kam Chancellor
R4 (Comp pick): La Darius Gunter - CB - Miami. Good anticipation, size, and speed.
R5: B.J. Finney - OG/C - Kansas State. Can play guard and center. Under the radar, but solid prospect.
R5 (Ahmad Brooks trade): Wes Saxton - TE - South Alabama. Shout out to Phoenix on this one. 6-4, 235. 4.5 speed.
R6: Tyrus Thompson, T, Oklahoma. Improved a lot as a senior. Has the measurables. Just needs to refine technique and get stronger.
R7 (Comp pick): Reshard Cliett, LB, South Florida. Very athletics linebacker. Can you inside and out.

Depth Chart
QB: Kaepernick/Hoyer
RB: Gore/Hyde/Johnson/Hunter
FB: Miller/Millard
WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Johnson/Ellington/Coates
TE: Davis/McDonald/Saxton
LT: Staley/Thompson
LG: Thomas/Finney
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis/Thompson
LE: A. Smith/Lemonier
DT: Dorsey/Williams
DT: Shelton/Dial/Jerod-Eddie
RE: Carradine/Lynch
OLB: Willis/Skuta
ILB: Borland/Cliett
OLB: Bowman/Moody
CB: Culliver/Brock/Gunter
CB: Cox/Johnson/Acker
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Eskridge/McCray
ST: Dawson, Lee, Nelson
[ Edited by YayArea on Jan 21, 2015 at 11:23 PM ]
I know he was injured a lot but tremaine Brock deserves respect! Lol
Some body know what they talking about here nice work...check of job...you have my vote for g.m. lol! I greatly agree with what turned out and I see ...the impact of the draft picks.... I feel that if this would have come to pass we would be back at the super bowl no doubt!
Very solid! One and only thing I don't like is Hoyer as
backup, just tired of picking up other teams trash every year and would like to draft a development QB
I hear ya 808. I'd like to draft a developmental QB. But at this point, I don't see one that I really like that can be bad in the mid to later rounds. Are there any that you like? I'll check them out.
Solid mock! I like how it's realistic with FA, not sure I see SF resigning both Cox and Cully...they do still have Brock as the #1.

I hope they extend Smith and restructure SJ/Willis don't think they should do that with Kap.

I have to start doing my homework as far as the draft goes, but I do know Shelton is a beast. I know Coates is fast but he has been a little up and down.

Thoughts on Jaelon Stong? Seems a little bigger and more developed in his game then Coates.
Tyrus Thompson won't last 'til rd 6...with as many as 7 potential first rd OT picks, Thompson's likely a 2nd rd pick. I know the NY Giants are extremely high on this kid, so don't be surprised if they nab him early.

Where did you hear for certain Justin Smith's retiring? I don't think he's decided yet. Whether he retires or not, I don't necessarily agree Shelton's the guy to draft in the 1st. He'd be a NT on the Niners...and with Dorsey and Williams back healthy next season, that sounds like a logjam at the NT position. Dorsey's most effective inside...in case you were thinking they'd move him to DE. Chiefs tried that and it didn't work. My pick would be Eddie Goldman...a big (6-3, 315-320) who stuffs the run but also has the quickness to put heat on the QB. He can play inside or out. Neither Carradine nor Jerrod-Edie are anything close to proven starters...so it'd seem the biggest need is at DE.

Coates is on the raw side...I'd take Jaelen Strong...bigger and with comparable speed.

Like the next 3 picks. Not sure about another OG/C...Tomsula already has Boone, Kilgore, M. Martin & Brandon Thomas. That's where I'd take a QB like Sean Mannion.

Don't know anything about TE Saxon...but I like Heuerman from Ohio St.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Tyrus Thompson won't last 'til rd 6...with as many as 7 potential first rd OT picks, Thompson's likely a 2nd rd pick. I know the NY Giants are extremely high on this kid, so don't be surprised if they nab him early.

Where did you hear for certain Justin Smith's retiring? I don't think he's decided yet. Whether he retires or not, I don't necessarily agree Shelton's the guy to draft in the 1st. He'd be a NT on the Niners...and with Dorsey and Williams back healthy next season, that sounds like a logjam at the NT position. Dorsey's most effective inside...in case you were thinking they'd move him to DE. Chiefs tried that and it didn't work. My pick would be Eddie Goldman...a big (6-3, 315-320) who stuffs the run but also has the quickness to put heat on the QB. He can play inside or out. Neither Carradine nor Jerrod-Edie are anything close to proven starters...so it'd seem the biggest need is at DE.

Coates is on the raw side...I'd take Jaelen Strong...bigger and with comparable speed.

Like the next 3 picks. Not sure about another OG/C...Tomsula already has Boone, Kilgore, M. Martin & Brandon Thomas. That's where I'd take a QB like Sean Mannion.

Don't know anything about TE Saxon...but I like Heuerman from Ohio St.

I'm with ya on Goldman SF needs someone to stop the run AND get some heat on the QB and I like Strong more than Coates. You think he will be there in the 2nd though?

I been reading that Mannion hasn't been too hot at the Senior Bowl practices:

Oregon State redshirt senior QB Sean Mannion has looked "undraftable" at Senior Bowl practice, according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
A couple things...

On Jaelen Strong, I also like him To me he is a possession receiver. Big, strong, above average speed, can high point the ball, solid technique. But I think he will struggle to get separation in the NFL and without elite speed he will not be the deep threat we need. In other words, I think while he is a solid receiver, he is more in the mold of Crabtree and Boldin. That's why I went with Coates. He is raw, but he has the elite speed to be a solid deep threat, and with strong production in the SEC, I feel that he can come in and fulfill that role for a year or two, as he grows into a more complete WR. A similar route to the one that Torrey Smith took. When it comes down to it, my favorite WR in the draft is Kevin White, and when I do another mock offseason, especially if Justin Smith doesn't retire, I will likely go WR in the first round.

On Justin Smith, I didn't hear that he is retiring. I just made an assumption and based my draft around that assumption. I really hope he stays.

On resigning Cox and Culliver, I understand that might be overkill and not even possible with our salary cap situation. In the end, I like each of them better than Brock and Brock is also coming off injury.

As for a logjam on the defensive line. If Smith retires, and we do indeed switch to a 4-3, I don't think drafting Shelton would be overkill. Dorsey and Williams are each coming off injury and I feel that that Shelton can be the best of the three. Also, in a 4-3, I assume that Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch would be play DE. So the cupboard isn't bare at that spot. But I do see your point Corva. Goldman can play both in and out, and would provide for more versatility. I guess the question comes down to who do you like better Goldman or Shelton?

Lastly, with my offensive line picks. I like Finney. He is versatile, can provide competition to Thomas, Martin, Looney and if he doesn't win a starting spot, can be a solid backup. And with Tyrus Thompson, I agree with you Corva that he will likely not be there in the 6th round. That was the one fairly big reach I included in my draft. But I have seen him going all over the place in the mid-rounds. So I don't know where he will land.
[ Edited by YayArea on Jan 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM ]
Yea Brock is a tricky situation. Really don't know what we have with him being that he didn't get to show much of anything this year except that embarrassment in Denver. But if Ward is truely holding down the 3rd CB/slot spot thne Cox and Cully would be overkill granted that Brock can stay healthy.

Overall solid draft

i think you left out Lemonier

But solid mock! would love that defensive front. Would also like to bring in a veteran pass rusher to pay DE because it could get thin if aldon, carradine, or lynch get hurt.
Very nice mock
You're right Justin. Lemonier is supposed to be in there behind Aldon. Thanks for catching that.
Originally posted by YayArea:
HC: Jim Tomsula
OC: Rob Chudzinski
DC: Jason Tarver

Resign
Perrish Cox, Chris Culliver, Frank Gore, Dan Skuta, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Kyle Nelson

Trade
Ahmad Brooks for Washington's 5th round draft pick

Release/Let Walk
Craig Dahl, Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Michael Wilhoite, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Lloyd, Garrett Celek, Kassim Osgood, Raymond Ventrone, Alfonso Smith

Restructure/Extend
Colin Kaepernick, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Stevie Johnson

Retire
Justin Smith

Free Agency
Brian Hoyer, QB, Cleveland

Draft
R1: Danny Shelton - DT - Washington. Looks out of shape, but is quick, strong against the run and pass. Showing well at Senior Bowl.
R2: Sammie Coates - WR - Auburn. Supposedly clocked around 4.3 according to CBSsports. Will be the deep threat we have craved.
R3: Duke Johnson - RB - Miami. Speedy playmaker, homerun threat.
R4 (Denver's pick, from 2014 draft day trade): Durell Eskridge, S, Syracuse. Good size and above average speed. Could be a poor man's Kam Chancellor
R4 (Comp pick): La Darius Gunter - CB - Miami. Good anticipation, size, and speed.
R5: B.J. Finney - OG/C - Kansas State. Can play guard and center. Under the radar, but solid prospect.
R5 (Ahmad Brooks trade): Wes Saxton - TE - South Alabama. Shout out to Phoenix on this one. 6-4, 235. 4.5 speed.
R6: Tyrus Thompson, T, Oklahoma. Improved a lot as a senior. Has the measurables. Just needs to refine technique and get stronger.
R7 (Comp pick): Reshard Cliett, LB, South Florida. Very athletics linebacker. Can you inside and out.

Depth Chart
QB: Kaepernick/Hoyer
RB: Gore/Hyde/Johnson/Hunter
FB: Miller/Millard
WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Johnson/Ellington/Coates
TE: Davis/McDonald/Saxton
LT: Staley/Thompson
LG: Thomas/Finney
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis/Thompson
LE: A. Smith/Lemonier
DT: Dorsey/Williams
DT: Shelton/Dial/Jerod-Eddie
RE: Carradine/Lynch
OLB: Willis/Skuta
ILB: Borland/Cliett
OLB: Bowman/Moody
CB: Culliver/Brock/Gunter
CB: Cox/Johnson/Acker
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Eskridge/McCray
ST: Dawson, Lee, Nelson

Very nice work. My only suggestion with your list is that you focused on Offensive line a little late while addressing safety too early. Here is my list.

1. WR – Dorial Green Beckham – Million dollar talent ten cent head. Get the head right and he'll be a monster.
2. OT – La'el Collins –LSU – Can pave the road and pass protect. NFL scouts say he can start right away.
3. RB – Duke Johnson – Great change of pace RB. Home run threat.
4. CB – Marcus Peters – Multiple run in with coaches. Shut down some of the best WR's in college. Just need his head straight.
4. Compensatory pick…. DE – Owa Odighizuwa – Very disruptive DE….Brings violence..
5. S – Corey Cooper – A Baalke special. Fills up a stat sheet. Solid tackler and solid coverage skills.
6. QB – Taylor Kelly – Good field vision. Strong arm. Protects the ball. Slightly mobile.
7. KR/PR – Andre Debose – 4.35 speed. Don't know how good a receiver he is. His QB stunk. But boy can he fly.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/181151-war-room-complete-draft-list/#el261i3FSF1YgKo4.99
Originally posted by bayareafanatic1:
Very nice work. My only suggestion with your list is that you focused on Offensive line a little late while addressing safety too early. Here is my list.

1. WR – Dorial Green Beckham – Million dollar talent ten cent head. Get the head right and he'll be a monster.
2. OT – La'el Collins –LSU – Can pave the road and pass protect. NFL scouts say he can start right away.
3. RB – Duke Johnson – Great change of pace RB. Home run threat.
4. CB – Marcus Peters – Multiple run in with coaches. Shut down some of the best WR's in college. Just need his head straight.
4. Compensatory pick…. DE – Owa Odighizuwa – Very disruptive DE….Brings violence..
5. S – Corey Cooper – A Baalke special. Fills up a stat sheet. Solid tackler and solid coverage skills.
6. QB – Taylor Kelly – Good field vision. Strong arm. Protects the ball. Slightly mobile.
7. KR/PR – Andre Debose – 4.35 speed. Don't know how good a receiver he is. His QB stunk. But boy can he fly.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/181151-war-room-complete-draft-list/#el261i3FSF1YgKo4.99

Would be a steal to get peters in the 4th but I'll tattoo I love Sherman on my back if he falls past the 2nd
Share 49ersWebzone